7.1 Earthquake 39 miles off Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were on the island for the quake, I must say that I was amazed at the lack of damage topside. There seemed to be more damage to the reef than the buildings. I couldn't believe that some of the corrugated tin shacks on stilts seem relatively unscathed. It did seem that the water line was much further in on the beach.
We were at FI and did the morning dive the next day and it was a little sad to see all of the barrel sponges sheared off but for the most part the damage didn't seem too bad. I dove Cozumel a month after Wilma and there is no comparison between the two events, Coz faired much worse. The Roatan reefs are still beautiful, go dive them a see for yourself.
We were also underwater for the 5.1 aftershock and that was quite a strange experience, sounded a little like a train underwater..

Attachments

• IMG_2601.jpg
    IMG_2601.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2605.jpg
    IMG_2605.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 59

Back
Top Bottom