7.1 Earthquake 39 miles off Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

briggity

New
Reaction score
I just caught the initial news flash on this and confirmed it on the usgs website.

I returned just 3 weeks ago from a trip to Roatan with my brother. Thoughts are with everyone there on the island. Hopefully there is no tsunami resulting from the quake.

Anyone who has news please post what you've seen.

Brian

Anyone who has news please post what you've seen.

7.1 magnitude earthquake off Honduras coast
Published: 5/28/09, 5:25 AM EDT

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras (AP) - A strong earthquake struck early Thursday off the coast of Honduras, sending people running into the streets as far away as Guatemala.
The quake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.1 and was at the relatively shallow depth of 6 miles (10 kilometers), according to the U.S. Geological Survey in Golden, Colorado.

The quake struck 80 miles (130 kilometers) northeast of La Ceiba, Honduras, and 200 miles (320 kilometers) from the capital, Tegucigalpa.

A tsunami watch was in effect for Honduras, Belize and Guatemala, according to the Pacific tsunami warning center.

Picture39.png

Note that Roatan (Bay Islands) is just SW of the epicenter. This is the regular epicenter of most all of them.

Last edited:
I just woke up and saw there has been an earthquake very near Roatan. I've got a trip coming up in three weeks and was wondering if anyone down there could provide a situation report. Is the airport ok? Any of the reefs have any damage?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Doug

RoatanMan (and anyone else in the Bay Islands), has your electricity, phone, or internet service been affected? Any homes or buildings damaged? What did it feel like?

I just spoke to a friend at Pineapple Villas where I own my place. There was no damage there or around French Harbor that they were aware of. Power was out for a few hours on the island and the Generators kicked on at Pineapple. He heard there were some bridge collapses and injuries on the mainland but had no other information. He was headed down to ParrotTree and check on some units there but so far the reports are good.

Back
Top Bottom