7' and 24" Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet once bubbled...

Funny you should mention that. There was a guy who claimed that very same thing, untill someone came up to him while in the water and yanked the reg out of his mouth, strangled him with the hose. The 'donor' never saw him and was totaly unprepared for that.

I don't understand how this could possibly be true. Even if the donor never saw the other diver grabbing his regulator, the hose could not "strangle" him no matter how it was snatched away, front, back, left or right, if the hose was routed in the standard way. I could see maybe the hose knocking the mask off if it were pulled away without warning. "Strangle"? -- no way.

WJL once bubbled...

I don't understand how this could possibly be true.

That's because the person who posted it is either making it up in its entirely or repeating inaccurate information obtained from unreliable sources. He or she is looking to start a problem and doesn't have the slightest clue what he or she is talking about.

It is impossible for strangulation to occur with a properly routed hose unless the OOA diver approached from above, behind and on the left. At that point, you could deliberately tighten it around the donor's neck.

Anyone want to place money on this happening accidentally?

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

That's because the person who posted it is either making it up in its entirely or repeating inaccurate information obtained from unreliable sources. He or she is looking to start a problem and doesn't have the slightest clue what he or she is talking about.

It is impossible for strangulation to occur with a properly routed hose unless the OOA diver approached from above, behind and on the left. At that point, you could deliberately tighten it around the donor's neck.

Anyone want to place money on this happening accidentally?

In no way did I ever make any form of attack against anyone. You, or anyone else for that matter, have no right to make attacks like this. Let’s not resort to low intelligence babbling and character attacks. I can not help it that you are so blinded by stupidity and unable to comprehend my post. When you mature enough to the point of providing us with enlightening conversation then please feel free to make further post. This goes for the rest of the posters who slammed my post.

It may be ‘impossible’ if the person has a ‘properly routed hose’ but how many out there has a ‘properly routed hose’. Perhaps the idiot that was strangled wasn’t used his equipment ‘properly’? I do know this; the ‘OOA diver’ did approach from a rear blind spot and the ‘donor’ never seen it coming, nor did he have time to stop it.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...

In no way did I ever make any form of attack against anyone. You, or anyone else for that matter, have no right to make attacks like this. Let’s not resort to low intelligence babbling and character attacks. I can not help it that you are so blinded by stupidity and unable to comprehend my post. When you mature enough to the point of providing us with enlightening conversation then please feel free to make further post. This goes for the rest of the posters who slammed my post.

It may be ‘impossible’ if the person has a ‘properly routed hose’ but how many out there has a ‘properly routed hose’. Perhaps the idiot that was strangled wasn’t used his equipment ‘properly’? I do know this; the ‘OOA diver’ did approach from a rear blind spot and the ‘donor’ never seen it coming, nor did he have time to stop it.

Ed

If the hose wasn't routed properly, then it isn't accurate to state that a properly routed hose would have caused a problem.

Its not surprising that you embellished your story using what I posted as the source of the problem. Because you are repeating what you heard from others and needed to fill in credibility gaps.

As for the number of people who have the hose properly routed, I've yet to see one done wrong. Of course, I try not to dive with people who don't know how to wear their equipment.

Even if the diver were to yank the hose left and up, it would still be possible, albeit unconfortable, to reach a properly secured backup. They you could deal with the panicked diver, by main force if necessary to prevent an uncontrolled ascent or other dangerous situation.

It sounds like this "report" is fourth hand hearsay from the local contingents of "Darwin for Divers".

As for the rest of your post, I'll suggest that my response was entirely appropriate as it responded to a foolish troll. I'm mature and experienced enough to now that you are lying through your teeth.

If I'm wrong, post names, dates, places the circumstances of the accident. Describe the weather conditions, water conditions and the circumstances that caused the "incident." Otherwise, you're just another internet cyber diver.

After further consideration of the problem, I note that a traditional hose routing would have caused the same problem, which, if it actually happened, was caused by a person who should not have been in the water in the first place.

Finally, don't feel any need to try to tell me where and when I can post. Cyber divers like you always feel threatened when their little cyber worlds are called into question. The solution is for you to go do a really challenging (for you) 60 fsw dive and get some actual experience.

But it looks like my LDS messed up a little bit and sold my new octo I was going to use....I left the hoses there till my new octo arrives. Hopefully I will get to use them this weekend....

Oh well SH** happens and I had fun diving anyway.....

Ok, help me out a bit if you can. I have been diving for quite a while and have seen and used longer hoses to allow sditching a tank, bc assy at a cave mouth and enter to hunt bugs taking only my reg. What is the purpose of a 7' long hose, I do a lot of kelp diving and have removed my BC to bring it around and unhook some kelp without any special requirement for hose changes. The last several yrs I owned and dove off my own boat so I havnt seen or discussed configurations like this one. So someone drop a note about the hose length thing, thanks.
Bill..........Dive Safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom