7 Dives A Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read all the posts ..... initially I was using multilevels dive profiles (square root shaped) and did not see any deco violation (but still saw high Nitorgen loading % - and I was NOT cool about them).

Then I was asked to check the sequence for square profiles ... and - as expected - the loading numbers went through the roof.

Small changes in the profiles of the individual dives could make a substantial difference. Of course this is all theory :coffee:

Thanks! What is square root shaping of a dive profile? I've never heard of that?

I know a guy who got bent doing multiple dives in less than like 22 feet. He woke up at night and his legs didn't work well. He was hung over, cold and was doing commercial work of visual inspection of a seawall... going up and down the wall all day, multiple tanks....that doesn't fit the theory too well either.

Not sure what you mean by "Lead is the slowest compartment?
The lead compartment is usually defined as the compartment with the highest normalized level of nitrogen loading

Thanks! What is square root shaping of a dive profile? I've never heard of that?
A profile that looks like the square root symbol used in math :D

Reactions: Jax
I can understand wanting to get as much diving in as possible, but 6am-8pm seems rather excessive. Four to five hour long dives a day is plenty. Also that includes some shallow (10-30foot) dives.

I've been on boats that ran 5 dives a day - 2 morning, 2 afternoon, and 1 night - for several days running. I don't do them all 'cause I'm too old and lazy, but many of the young tigers did, and on air, too. I like Nitrox on those multi-day deals.

I guess the thing that puzzles me is this: We have a scenario here (4 days x 24 dives) that your dive computer will let you do, but will get you bent, and nobody seems to have a definitive answer for. If 4x24 is bad, and 4x15 is okay, then where is the line?

I've been on boats that ran 5 dives a day - 2 morning, 2 afternoon, and 1 night - for several days running. I don't do them all 'cause I'm too old and lazy, but many of the young tigers did, and on air, too. I like Nitrox on those multi-day deals.

I guess the thing that puzzles me is this: We have a scenario here (4 days x 24 dives) that your dive computer will let you do, but will get you bent, and nobody seems to have a definitive answer for. If 4x24 is bad, and 4x15 is okay, then where is the line?

I believe the problem is that most dive computers do not use as many compartments nor such long half-life compartments as the algorithm in DiveNav's simulation. My Oceanic uses 12 compartments with the slowest compartment being 480 minutes. As I recall the 16th compartment in the eDive simulation is something like 680 minutes. I am not sure that these slow compartments are not more of a theoretical problem than a practical problem. That is, do they really apply to the body and, if so, what are the medical symptoms if you violate their gas loading capacity.

I believe the problem is that most dive computers do not use as many compartments nor such long half-life compartments as the algorithm in DiveNav's simulation. My Oceanic uses 12 compartments with the slowest compartment being 480 minutes. As I recall the 16th compartment in the eDive simulation is something like 680 minutes...... .
If I am not mistaken RGBM and DSAT algorithms have indeed a max half-time of 480 minutes, but, all the algorithms based on Buhlmann ZH-L16 (or including some portion of it - such as VPM and Z+) have compartments with much longer half times (635 minutes)

Our simulators are using a deco algorithm based on Buhlmann ZH-L16.
More info on our current algorithm are HERE

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Generally, if your computer or tables are happy, you should be OK.

My best guess is that the OP has not ever actually done a schedule like this, and will find that 4 or maybe 5 dives/day is plenty.

flots.

I cannot remember where I read it, but I remember some advice on diving liveaboards or places like Bonaire --

If you have the opportunity to dive 5 times a day, skip the third dive.

Does anyone else remember that? I'm thinking DAN's Diver Alert Mag. Anyone? :idk:

Back
Top Bottom