7mm Hood with Zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avpro4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got a new Velocity fullsuit, but without the hood. Looking at the BARE catalog, I see they have hoods with and without zippers. Why would you want a zipper on a hood? Seems to me like a quick and painful means to lose more hair!

The idea of the zipper is to ease gettting it on and off. I just bought a Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5 mm hood. This hood is very comfortable, warm, and easy to get off. Much easier than the cheaper hoods I had rented for cold water diving. With this hood working so well I don't see any reason to get a zippered hood that could leak water or catch your hair.

Zippered hood? PITA in my opinion and overpriced to boot.

Henderson Hyperstretch hood without the zipper, as stated by jmps. No question...you don't need a zipper with a Hyperstretch. You'd want a zipper with a tire inner tube. :D

Britt :fish:
:fish:

I just bought a hood with a zipper because my old hood got a rip in the neck from donning and doffing. It works great!

I think there is a misconception of how the zipper is placed and works on the hoods. The ones I have seen with a zipper it isn't like on your suit. The zipper on a hood is used to make a "pleat". To get your hair caught in it your hair would have to be long enough to come out the bottom of the hood and up to the zipper. I don't think I explained it very well but maybe someone else can figure out how to word it.

Joe

Sideband:
I think there is a misconception of how the zipper is placed and works on the hoods. The ones I have seen with a zipper it isn't like on your suit. The zipper on a hood is used to make a "pleat". To get your hair caught in it your hair would have to be long enough to come out the bottom of the hood and up to the zipper. I don't think I explained it very well but maybe someone else can figure out how to word it.

Joe

What he said. There's a "triangle" of thin neoprene so when the zipper is open you can open the hood to get it over your noggin easier but it won't catch your hair. I have a Bare zippered hood and it works just fine.:D

Dave

Back
Top Bottom