8 tracks...cassettes.....records.......next masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I have been seeing more and more from OTS and they seemed to be fairly reasonably priced.

Anyone have feedback on obtaining and using prescription lenses in a FFM?

OTS makes an accessory for that.

Add your prescription lenses to wire frames in your OTS Spectrum FFM. With the OTS Full-Face Mask Eyewear Insert, enjoy a clear view underwater with securely mounted, custom engineered and field-tested prescription ready eye gear.

Could be because it's new to me (a year intermittent use), or cumbersome or more complex but I still prefer my mask/reg to my FFM when convenient.

Cameron

What is it exactly that you find to be less convenient? You say it is more complex but seems rather simple unless I am missing something.

What is it exactly that you find to be less convenient? You say it is more complex but seems rather simple unless I am missing something.

My experience is limited to 3 different designs and a few dozen dives so I bow to more experienced divers to better explain the advantages and disadvantages.

First time vomiting in a FFM changed my view on convenience. Complex meaning switching regs are more complicated and involves more steps with more failure points compared to sticking it directly into my mouth.

Regards,
Cameron

My experience is limited to 3 different designs and a few dozen drives so I bow to more experienced divers.

First time vomiting in a FFM changed my view on convenience. Complex meaning switching regs are more complicated and involves more steps with more failure points compared to sticking it directly into my mouth.
Yuck! Was the FFM involved in causing said upchuck?

Banana and bad bacon followed by a vigorous blackwater river dive. My fault.

How dare you speak ill of bacon like that!

How dare you speak ill of bacon like that!

"Ill of bacon" is exactly the perfume which filled my FFM and still haunts my dreams.

Some of the modular FFM designs address this issue but mine didn't. I filled the mask with chunks. The option of removing the mask, vomiting while blind and trying to deploy an alternative air source didn't appeal to me.

(Elaborating on an aspect of why specifically they have been less convenient in my experience.)

I used to dive an ocean reef Neptune, loved it. Bit of a pain to carry a spare mask in case you need air from your buddy but otherwise lovely.

Then I got a Kirby Morgan M48 for CCR and I am in love. Can take gas from anyone without removing the mask. If you blow chunks it's a 2 second process to clear it and you could even buddy breathe on it if you needed to.

Costs around 400-500 depending. I picked up 2 sets with full comms and a surface comms unit for 800 on eBay recently

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom