8080 or 7070

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamsh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

What is better for underwater photos, the 8080 or the 7070, I can pick either camera up for roughly the same price.

The size of the camera doesnt bother me but I have read stories of the 8080 not being that good for wide angle shots.

Both cameras have TTL capability through the Ikelite cases (so i have read). The only thing im not sure about is whether my UN-PWC01 wide angle lense will fit on the case with or without adaptors.

I haven't got the camera yet but I ordered c-8080. I have a canon a70 and the optics are roughly the same in a70 and c-7070 aperture range being 1:2.8-4.9 (a70) and 1:2.8-4.8 (c-7070). As I don't have an external strobe aperture range and good optics play a big role in my photographing. C-8080's aperture range is 1:2.4-3.5 which is alot more. The extra mega of pixels won't hurt you and the only bad thing about the c-8080 is that it takes 12secs to save a RAW picture. Don't know how long it takes for c-7070 to do the same though.

adamsh:
Hi Guys,

What is better for underwater photos, the 8080 or the 7070, I can pick either camera up for roughly the same price.

The size of the camera doesnt bother me but I have read stories of the 8080 not being that good for wide angle shots.

Both cameras have TTL capability through the Ikelite cases (so i have read). The only thing im not sure about is whether my UN-PWC01 wide angle lense will fit on the case with or without adaptors.
Can you share the web site? Of course if you are in Londond, England, the excahnge rate is such a killer now it would be pointless. I've usually seen about $100 difference between the two and same for the housing.

If it makes any difference I believe the 8080 production is discontinued and the 7070 is current.

Gilligan:
If it makes any difference I believe the 8080 production is discontinued and the 7070 is current.
*nods* the 8080 is quite difficult to find now. Ironically there are still sites out there selling the 5050 brand new and refurbs!

DrSteve:
Can you share the web site? Of course if you are in Londond, England, the excahnge rate is such a killer now it would be pointless. I've usually seen about $100 difference between the two and same for the housing.

It was from http://ukdigitalcameras.safeshopper.com/12/980.htm although since my post the 7070 has increased in price and is now more than the 8080.

DrSteve:
You could have gotten it for 450 US dollars! With current exchange rates that would save you about 150 quid!

I havent got it yet as I am still looking at what camera to get, I am looking at dSLR now but the price is a little out of my reach.

I have been looking at shipping it in from another country but customs here would hit me with tax :(.

Yeah they'd hit you with VAT...17.5%...So you'd pay a whopping 35 quid in VAT and chances are the UK gives a certain amount duty free as well (the US lets you import up to 200 dollars worth before you get charged duty on the value above 200). You still win!

DrSteve:
You could have gotten it for 450 US dollars! With current exchange rates that would save you about 150 quid!

I was just looking at this camera on "Tigerdirect.com" for $409.99 and I was looking to answer the same question from above.

Anyone have any comparisons between the 7070 and the 5050 or 5060???
Good, bad, indifferent??

Rgds,
Aquawookie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom