9/11 Seal Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon2115

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I went on a seal dive through our LDS PG Dive and Capt. Rob's out of Rye, NH. The weather couldn't have been better. Cool as we were getting ready to leave but warmed up nicely as the morning went on. It was only about a 30 minute ride out to Duck Island from Rye Harbor so no long boat ride, which one person in our party was very thankful for.

We did two dives, both shallow so we stayed warm. The first dive was the scheduled seal dive and it was incredible. I had one of them come up and grab my fin with its flippers and start scratching it. When I raised my arm it moved forward and gently scratched my arm and then muzzled my hand with its nose. When it was done it went over to one of the others and got right up close to check out his mask. After that it laid down in the kelp in between six of us and just looked at us for awhile. It didn't mind that we were all around it and anywhere from two to four feet away. Very cool.

Unfortunately we ran out of time and had to head back to the boat. The seal decided that it still wanted to play and started following one of the divers. He was oblivious to it though. The seal was so interested in the guys fins that it got smacked in the nose three times and it didn't even phase it one bit. It just kept on trying to grab the fins. Once we were all back on the boat one of the seals, probably the one that had been playing with us, poked it's head and a good portion of its body out of the water right next to the swim platform to take a look at where we had all gone. Kind of saying, 'hey, where'd you go, I'm not done playing yet'.

For the second dive we decided to stay at Duck Island and do another seal dive, but we moved the boat into a different cove. This one wasn't as productive. Although I think I ran into the same seal again. It swam over and laid down in the kelp again and just watched me for a few minutes. After that I'd see one in the distance every so often but none approached. When we all got back to the boat it seamed like everybody had about the same luck. I think it might have been because we were closer to the pups this time. But that was ok as we were a little short on time and we needed to get heading back to port soon. The dive times were 65 and 45 minutes so it wasn't like they we got shorted or anything.

If you're considering doing this dive, go for it. There's no guaranty you will interact with them, or even see one underwater for that matter. That's just the way it is. Any interaction happens at the seals' choosing, not yours. However, if you're patient and you follow Captain Rob's advice you'll have an excellent chance.

For my wife and I this one goes down as a definite, 'must do again' dive.

Glad that you had such a great time. I almost went saturday to Rye but it was very short notice. I found out about it Friday night.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the visibility was incredible too, around fifty feet!!!

Dragon2115:
Oh, I forgot to mention that the visibility was incredible too, around fifty feet!!!

Yeah, great....rub it in why don't ya....... :D

I'm really glad you had a great dive. The diving up there has always been on of my favorites.

I'm "the wife" :05: This dive was awesome. So many seals, so little time. And the vis was the best I've ever seen up here. You could cleary see the ocean bottom from the boat in 20+ feet.

The only down side was seeing those huge lobsters...they just laughed at us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom