9-5 cruise where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmanfunk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys I will be heading out on a cruise on 9-5 going to grand cayman, isla roatan, belize and conzumel. My question is my budget is not enough to dive in ever stop But i want to pick the two best spots to enjoy. Any opinions and with who thanks a mill.

Two reasons. You have a better chance of getting to COZ and GCM in the future (I would think) and both spots out shine GCM and probably a little ahead of COZ. Did the same itinerary two years ago, doing it again this Jan, then off to CCV in Roatan in March.

Two weeks ago I sailed on the Carnival Legend traveling the same itinerary. My family and I dove in all 4 locations. I booked all of the dives myself rather than using the cruise ship services.

The Grand Cayman Island was our least favorite and most expensive diving. In GCM we used Neptune Divers. The charge was $101 per diver for two tanks using our own equipment. We had to pay a taxi $20 to get to Seven Mile beach and another $10 to return via bus. They were very cautious on bottom time even though we were all experience divers and had our own computers.

Cozumel is one of my favorite dive sites. We used Dive with Martin and the fee was $85 for a two tank diving including dive equipment. I had used Dive with Martin 2 years earlier on a week long trip to Cozumel. The dive master, Miguel, was terrific. He let us choose the dive sites, we dove our own profiles and he was outstanding at pointing out things along the dive. Cozumel has a great wall and a lot to see. There was only 5 people, four of them being my family, on the dive boat.

In Roatan we used Subway Water Sports. When we arrived at the terminal, Ray the dive master was waiting for us. He drove us across the island for about 30 minutes to the northeast side. It was very quiet and peaceful. The charge was $90 per person for a two tank dive using our own equipment. The dive sites are about 10 minutes away from the dive shop. The dive was great and there are a lot of sites near them. Ray was a great dive master showing us around. We got to dive our own profiles and were never rushed. There was only 5 people on the dive boat.

In Belize we used Sea Sport Belize. I could only find two dive operators in Belize City, Sea Sport and the dive operator hired by the cruise line. The fee was $112.50 per person using our own equipment, but included a hot lunch and soft drinks. The diving was good and I really liked the dive master Jamani. He was very courteous and allowed us to dive our own profiles. There were 6 divers on the boat. I spoke with another passenger on the cruise line who used the cruise lines services. He stated they had about 12 divers on the boat.

If I could only choose two dive sites, they would be Cozumel and Belize. There is a lot to see and the prices are very reasonable. On GCM I would book a private tour to Stingray City for snorkeling with the rays.

Anthony's Key is the cruise operator on Roatan: http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/diving/index.html

AKR is going to shuttle you over and back to dive the north side. Some would say that the south side diving might be easier for newer divers. One other option is Barefoot Divers at Barefoot Cay - probably the nearest diveop from your ship. http://www.barefootdiversroatan.com/Diving/CruiseShipShoreExcursions/

Don Foster's is the cruise operator on Grand Cayman: http://www.donfosters.com/html/cruiseships.html

If you have a buddy, there are several good shore dives on Grand Cayman within 5-10 minutes of the cruise pier. Eden Rock is a short walk north and Don Fosters (the cruise contracted operator) just slightly farther south (walking distance) They dive at Casuarina Point on-site.

Sunset House is another option in South Georgetown - maybe 5 mins. away - mostly due to avoiding the crowds from your ship. Lobster Pot Dive Center is another option in Georgetown - they're affiliated with both Off the Wall and Wall to Wall Diving - both are often recommended here.

Most of the Stingray City dive trips are in the early afternoon. Most diveops will shuttle you to their boats docked in the North Sound. With a 5PM sailing time that's an option. Personally I recommend the dive over the snorkel, at the snorkel you stand in 4' of water at Sandbar, the dive at SRC is only in 15' but photo opportunities are better. It's a toss-up about which is better for interaction. Usually the dive ends when the squid (so are the Rays then...lol) are gone or at 45mins.

One thing often mentioned about cruise diving is that booking with the designated operator - while often more expensive - means they'll hold the ship for your return in case of delays.

Last edited:
If you're looking to get good dives without spending alot, don't miss the shore diving on Grand Cayman. Eden Rock is easy to get to, you don't have to worry about someone else's schedule and you can dive for just the cost of the tanks, if you have your own gear. If not, rental gear is available as well. I prefer Sunset House, but it's about a mile further down the road. Not a bad walk without gear, but wouldn't recommend it if you're carrying anything - no sidewalks for most of the way. They also only rent smaller tanks (AL72), unless that's changed since June.

Looks like your trip is coming up soon. Let us know how things go.

Take a taxi to the Cracked Conch, do a couple dives and have lunch in Grand Cayman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom