90* angle adapter question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DuckyDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Several years ago I reconfigured my aqua lung Titan to have a longer hose (40") on the primary second stage. Now that the hose was being routed under my arm, I had to put a 90 deg adapter on the reg. Since them and had not had the need to go very deep, no more that 60'. Last weekend I was diving to 70' -75', and I had a very noticeable increase in inspitory effort, to the point that I felt like I was over breathing the reg. once I assented to 40' - 50' the resistance stopped.

The question is, can a right ange adapter cause enough pressure loss to cause this or is it likely something that I am missing.

Also, befor I added this longer hose and 90 deg adapter I had gone as deep as 97' without and problems

I dive your setup on a Conshelf reg to recreational limits and never noticed a breathing problem. I really doubt it could be the 90 deg adapter.

Omniswivel at 100' with no issues and its more restrictive than a 90 I imagine.. no issues. On my ccr I route my bailout through a QC6 which makes the 90angle look wide open.. still no issues.

Me thinks your titan/1st stage needs and IP check/service. If its around 140psi and the second tuned correctly you should breath past rec limits without issue. If its dribbling around 120 it likely is a little anemic at depth ..bumping up the IP will flow air to the second a lot better. My zeagle is set to 145psi and even with that swagelock QC6 I use its no issue.

If its been several years, it might just need a cleaning and a servicing. I doubt an angle adapter would cause that. Other possibilities include a tank valve that wasn't open all the way.

Thanks for the input everyone, I think a service might be in order. Or at least an ip check.

I use rt angle adapters/swivels, both hp & lp on my cave/tech set-ups, including deco/stage bottles from 50' to 270' and never had any problems w/them....Make sure the 'O' rings are in good condition and don't over torque them........

I agree with the rest, it's not the adapter or the hose....unless you have a partly collapsed hose. It's somewhat uncommon but a hose can have part of the inner wall separate and partially block the air passage. The symptoms will not show up except at high flow rates and/or at depth. Simple IP checks will not show the problem, if your tech does not find any issues with the reg, consider replacing the hose as a precaution. If the problem reoccurs, swap to your octo. If it works OK then at least you know the problem is in the second stage (hose and stage) and not a problem with your first stage.

Back
Top Bottom