A 40" hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking of changing up my hose configuration and want to hear what you'all thingk - my gear is at the shop being serviced so the timing is good.

Currently I dive a single tank (with a Pony) with regs in the common fashion the secondary in my mouth and the octo on a longer hose (36"?). For the next several months my dives will be day trips in the New York area. I'm thinking of switching to put my "octo" on a neckace and my secondary on a longer hose, mainly because I want the backup nearer to my face, and I don't like the large loop that the secondary on a 30"(?) hose creates.

I'm diving with a DR Transpac, and on my waist belt are weight pouches and on the right side is also a large pouch. I also keep a flashlight attached to the right chest D-ring, hanging down the side.

My question is, how do you suggest I route a 40" hose? Under the large pouch and up into my mouth? Is that safe (to donate)? Thanks much.

If its a 40" hose, it just goes under the arm and into the mouth. You don't have to "trap" the hose.

JeffG:
If its a 40" hose, it just goes under the arm and into the mouth. You don't have to "trap" the hose.

That is kinda weird routing for a stage bottle... :light:

Couldn't resist.

Blitz:
That is kinda weird routing for a stage bottle... :light:

Couldn't resist.
In the pre-GUE days, the 40" was DIR for single tank stuff. I guess it has fallen out of favour, which will cause a few of us to die in a gross death.

it just goes under the arm and into the mouth

I'm not seeing how this gets rid of the big loop formed with the normal 30" hose. Wouldn't this just form an even worse (larger) 40" loop? I'm picturing a hula hoop sticking out from my right side. Am I wrong?

SteveFass:
I'm not seeing how this gets rid of the big loop formed with the normal 30" hose. Wouldn't this just form an even worse (larger) 40" loop? I'm picturing a hula hoop sticking out from my right side. Am I wrong?
Learning to dive on the internet is a ***** isn't it.

Do like Jeff has told you... that means actually get in the water... then come back and let us know if there is still a big loop.

The under the arm method with a 40" hose leads to even LESS loop sticking out than with a 7' hose routed in the normal fashion (I dive the latter). Get in the water and simply try it. Hose comes straight down from the 1st stage, under your right arm, and the reg goes right into your mouth. I dove this config for my first 40 dives before switching to the 7'. You'll want a swivel with the 40", as the second stage otherwise doesn't sit correctly in your mouth (it wants to pull up). I suggest only the Atomic swivel or the Kirby Morgan, neither of which has any reported failures AFAIK (unlike the swivels with a screw holding both halves together, which have many reported failures). Good luck.

Rainer:
You'll want a swivel with the 40", as the second stage otherwise doesn't sit correctly in your mouth (it wants to pull up). I suggest only the Atomic swivel or the Kirby Morgan, neither of which has any reported failures AFAIK (unlike the swivels with a screw holding both halves together, which have many reported failures). Good luck.

I could not even get a 40" hose to go under my arm without a swivel and refuse to use a swivel, so I started using a 5' hose and have been very happy. No loop sticking out for your buddy to kick, or kelp to bump and it is easy to handle. I do have a clip on the end of my hose at the reg to clip it off and keep it off the ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom