A Backplate for Now and the Future? Golem Stream vs. DSS Kydex...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
So I'm in the market looking for a new rig that can easily accommodate different configurations and possibly new configurations in the future.

About my diving...

I live in Florida and dive wet. Usually with a single steel and a pony. I rarely need any weight as most of the year I'm just diving in fishing clothes or a 3 mil at the most in early spring, late fall. Occasionally a 7/6/5 in the winter where I need about 10 lbs. of ballast. I will be doing some dives here soon in doubles and my current DiveRite HunterPac obviously won't work. I have no idea what the future of my diving will be. As of right now a rebreather is not in the plans, but as they continue to gain popularity I could see them becoming more affordable and a possible option in the future for this still relatively young diver.

I'm not completely ignorant to backplates, the HunterPac is about as close as it gets to a BP/W, but having never used one or seen a number of options for a side by side comparison it's hard to gauge what would be best for me.

Some things I value are a solid, long lasting material and stainless steel has it's appeal for obvious reasons, but obviously I don't need the extra weight from a full stainless steel plate. I simply don't ever see myself diving dry. So looking at the DSS Kydex and Golem Stream Reverse Profile plate, they both appear to meet the quality and weight test.

Another consideration is the utility of the plate. I think I like the reverse profile of the Golem Stream since it appears to adapt perfectly for both single, double and closed circuit diving. Whereas the Kydex plate relies on a wing that has a built in STA. I do not want to add a STA. I haven't even begun the process of selecting a wing, I've only decided that I'll need two. A single with around 35 lbs. of lift and a double with 45 lbs. of lift. So it appears the reverse profile Golem Stream has the advantage in the utility category. Not that the Kydex plate couldn't be used for a rebreather, but I imagine there is some reason why rebreather divers use the Golem Stream plate. However, I don't know what the answer is. I also would't be limited to my choice of wings with the Golem.

Finally, cost and location. Right now the Golem Stream is going for $100. The Kydex sells for $214 plus shipping. DSS is in California and Golem is in Tampa Bay. I live in Tampa Bay. So again there seems to be an advantage to Golem for me. I'm in no way trying to disparage DSS. I'm aware of the great reviews, but these are the facts for me.

So that said and considering my diving what do you think? Is my assessment accurate? What are things that I'm overlooking?

Last edited:
I have a DSS Kydex, and enjoy it. In fact, as a family, we have numerous DSS plates (4ss & 1 kydex).

That being said, if you like the rigidity, but not the weight:

upload_2017-1-4_11-51-32.png

If you rarely need weight why do you want a 35 pound single wing?

My head on the surface = -8 lbs.
LP112 w/ valve = -8 lbs.
Reg = -2 lbs.
Pony = -2 lbs.
Pony Reg = -2 lbs.
Plate = -2 lbs.
Gun = -5 lbs.
Stringer/Accessories = -3 lbs.
Fish = ? Could be positive, could be negative.

Total = -32 lbs.

Last edited:
I have a DSS Kydex, and enjoy it. In fact, as a family, we have numerous DSS plates (4ss & 1 kydex).

That being said, if you like the rigidity, but not the weight:

View attachment 389040

Yep, that's the design I'm leaning toward, however the Golem stream has a reverse profile that accommodates a single tank without an integrated STA in the wing or a STA itself. But I don't know if this design could create issues with doubles.

243.jpg

Last edited:
Backplates are cheap in the tech diver scale of costs, a Halcyon backplate is $205. A rebreather plus training is more like $12,000. Don't overanalyze your decision, buy the one ideal for you today, if you need another backplate later just buy it then.

That golem plate looks nice for single tank, but I wonder if you'd be more comfortable with a full backplate for doubles. It's a considerable amount of mass on your back and it might be better to have the full plate to spread out the point of contact.

I think you're making too big of a issue about the STA. The DSS is designed to not need one, and most single tank wings these days have some sort of roll control for use without a STA. Even when they don't it still works fine. The way the DSS wing attaches to the plate for single tank use is pretty ingenious and very convenient.

There's also dive rite and I think oxycheq in your area, both of which make good gear. You could get an AL plate and wings for single and double tank use as you need them.

The DSS wings use rubber grommets to align it to the plate, and the roll control, which is integral to the wing, locks it up solid when the cam bands are closed. The wing can be removed from the plate (recommended) for any form of transportation without removing the cam bands from the plate, thus avoiding potential damage (and the wings are well built too). No STA necessary.

Well thought out and implemented!

That Golem plate looks cool. You definitely want a very light weight plate if you are diving a single large steel tank in warm water with minimal suit - although it is hard to see how that is any better than your hunter pack for single diving?

Take it from me.. if you have never used a BP/W, be prepared to be very unimpressed. The difference underwater from a typical back inflate bc is minimal, especially if you are using a crotch strap on both rigs. Of course everyone will say i am wrong.

You will need separate wing for doubles and be honest, you are not going to be using the same harness and plate for single and double tanks.

Are you planning on diving twin large steel tanks with a wetsuit in the ocean? Some people will want you to buy a double bladder BC for that and others will want you to use a dry suit for redundancy and some others will tell you that a pair of aluminum 80's cave filled is the only safe rig based on bouyancy issues in the ocean with a wetsuit.

And if your real goal is to spearfish in the 160 to maybe 230 ft depths, I bet you will find that a single steel tank and maybe a pony and a stage bottle is more practical than large steel doubles. I think i would look for a simple used BP/W to try out double steels and use that for training and see how it goes. I just don't know of local spearfisherman diving double steels.. I am sure there are some, but i think it is rare.

The large 149 cuft steels from faber are basically the same as the older 2400 psi faber 121's or 125's some people call them, and they have enough capacity to do some deeper diving - in my expereince anyway. They are 149 cu-ft at the rated pressure of 3,500 and you might be able to get the shop to add a little more. Plus they are manageable on a small boat. I suspect that you will gravitate toward that configuration eventually.. maybe if you want to spearfish super deep, you will want doubles..You could get by with a big single and a aluminum 30 for bail out and a 30 for deco.. I bet..

A lot of spearos are going to want to do more than one dive a day, they are probably not going to want to do a really long deep dive and a long deco. Two shorter dives with a 2 hr surface interval is probably more reasonable for that application.

If you like your current single rig, don't worry about a plate that will handle single and doubles..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom