A Backplate for Now and the Future? Golem Stream vs. DSS Kydex...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only paged through this thread. Catching my eye is that you are in the Tampa area, dive little exposure protection, and a single steel tank. An aluminum backplate designed for a single tank is my recommendation because of function, cost, weight, and availability. Store - Vintage Double Hose is right there in your neighborhood and has plate that fits your needs. Never mind that it was manufactured for use with a DH regulator, it works extremely well with a single hose setup too. If you need a backplate for doubles, get a backplate designed for doubles.

If you dove mostly al 80ies, the same plate with a few extra pounds added would also fit the bill, but not quite as well as Eric's Freedom Plate Eric Sedletzky

Last edited:
No doubt, but at that point wouldn't a single big steel (maybe a H valve) and a couple 40's make more sense than double 80's and a 40, all things being equal with contingencies met in the dive plan?

How about double 72's? Would you dive those without redundant buoyancy?
I wouldn't dive a single tank in a technical environment. Singles are inappropriate IMO.

A few 40s only serves to complicate things.

I know a single 72 is sweet. Not sure about double 72s. Would have to look into it.

So, believe it or not, I do listen to you guys (after doing a little research... trust but verify, right?) and having realized doubling my jacked up 112's and diving wet in the ocean would probably be a pretty stupid idea, I decided I'm not going to go that route for fear of allowing someone to say this guy gets a Darwin award.

I picked up a LP95 a few weeks ago for $65 from some guy who bids on storage units and ironically found someone today wanting to trade 2 matching brushed AL80's for one LP95. :)

That said, I still haven't decided on anything else. However, I think it would still be prudent to have redundant buoyancy. Drysuit is pretty much out. I am not going to make an investment in something that expensive that will get very little use. A lift bag makes sense to get off the bottom, but seems rather impractical if a failure were to occur anywhere in the water column or surface. An option? Sure, not a great one. So, that said, I think perhaps a dual bladder wing would probably be a good idea. In the event of a primary failure, you still have a very comfortable way to finish your dive, complete stops, etc.

Obviously there's a few consideration for going that route. First performing practice drills. No different than valve drills, right? Second, don't hook up an inflator hose to the second bladder. Either band an inflator to the dump hose or forget it all together and practice inflating manually. Finally, maintain your gear. Which is something I'm very meticulous about.

So thoughts on that?

Also, since my shop sells DiveRite and I'd like to give them the business, I'm leaning toward the Dual Bladder Rec Wing. Any thoughts on that wing, pros/cons or any suggestions on something similar? If for some crazy reason I decided in the future I would dive dry and wanted to double up the 112's, would this wing work? DiveRite says 45 lbs. of lift, up to double 85's. Is this a fit issue or a weight/lift assumption issue?

lift bag is much easier to work with at the surface than under water, and with double 80's you won't need redundant buoyancy. Shoot a lift bag, and hold on, you won't be that heavy. I don't really have anything against dual bladder wings, but they're not really necessary.

45lb wing will work with 112's if you are somewhat balanced i.e. not diving a 7mm farmer john to 100ft

at -1.7 (full), 1.3 (half), 4.2 (empty), [this is Luxfer], 2xAL80 really shouldn't need any redundancy. I'd think an SMB would suffice....

We use them here in the summer in the River as the temps are mixed top to bottom, and we are diving wet...

1 Bad trade (for you)
2 if you are not going to dive double big steels then you don't need a double bladder?
3 if you want a single tank dual bladder BC, let me know I can make you a deal.
4 Double 70's are not too negative when wearing a wetsuit.
5. Oral inflation of the second bladder would be preferable to having a hose hanging and trying to connect it in an emergency - oral inflation is a nuisance if your hands are full, but it is not difficult - or you should practice it enough to make it trivial.. It is a good skill in case the inflator screws up and you have to inflate or you are out of air and using a pony air to nflate the BC.

1 Bad trade (for you)
2 if you are not going to dive double big steels then you don't need a double bladder?
3 if you want a single tank dual bladder BC, let me know I can make you a deal.

Let me start by saying, I'm trying to think things through, but obviously there are things I may be overlooking, especially considering my inexperience. But that's why I'm here. Talk **** out and do the research. I hate doing things twice.

1) Why? I've got 4 112's. These are my primary single tanks. I paid $65 for the lp95 and it's out of hydro. His al80's have a fresh hydro and vip. Now I do have an unmatched pair of 72's, but it seems to me keeping it simple and doubling a pair of 80's makes sense. The 72's may be better served for stage and deco. Especially deco given the service pressure.

2) Indeed. I don't know what I don't know... I.e. thoughts of deco in doubles without buoyancy control. Piece of cake? Or internet assumptions. Who's done it without a wing?

3) What do you have? Assuming you don't talk me out of it. :)

The trade is better if it is out of hydro, and the 80's are oxygen cleaned.. if that matters to you. 80's are cheap.

Also, i do not do Deco without hanging on something. An anchor line or under an SMB, if possible (and when using oxygen). If you can make it up to close to the surface, hanging from an SMB should be simple if you blow out a BC.

Again, i have no idea if that is a requirement frrom technical diving, but is something I decided for myself... too easy to get distracted and sink when solo without at least a visual reference to the depth. I have been meaning to ask that question on the forum,, someday...is drifting deco on oxygen with nothing but a computer for reference cool? A: not for me - if i can help it.

Last edited:
I use a rec xt with a dual bladder. I think it's great. Even though I dive a balanced configuration, I like the idea of the redundant bladder. The bladder is advertised as being useful for singles and doubles. I usually use it for singles and al doubles but I have also used it for (gasp) sidemount. The bunge and loop system makes this possible with a few wire ties. No tacoing whatsoever if done properly. It's great when you go on a trip, you can dive anything except maybe large steels.

you should be hanging or holding onto something when on deco in blue water and the 80's will make better stage/deco tanks because the buoyancy characteristics won't cause you to list like the 72's do.

@divezonescuba the nomad wing evolved from the rec wing for reference and many of the original sidemount rigs with the transpac have modified rec wings on them

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom