A bit confused on the hero 3+ housing, can you help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point was - isn't 1mtr too far from the nose to frame a shot on a tiny LCD less than 3" wide? The typical thing one would do when composing and framing is check the horizon line and the 1/3rd lines align up. Here the screen is too far away from you and too tiny as well. So while it is nice to confirm that the underwater beast was captured in your frame, there is nothing really useful to be done to improve the shot is there? What if one would rather simply rely on the wide-angle lens to capture everything when pointing in the general direction of the subject? An LCD becomes more useful when using the double handle frame close to the chest.

One hang up I always had with photography is that one loses out on experiencing the event with ones own senses in a direct and aware fashion because one is focussed on the LCD or viewfinder and how it will look to the rest of the world while framing and composing the shot - that moment is gone for ever.

PS: Reminder - I am only asking for a justification for the LCD as a person who has never used a gopro underwater. Is it really worthwhile to spend on a lcd with a gopole or should the LCD purchase be deferred until a double handle traditional UW case is bought?

Last edited:
Just got my 3+ and I don't know how the latch could just flip open. It needs quite a bit of effort to get it open on my case that's for sure. Really like the wifi features!!
Dave

Just got my 3+ and I don't know how the latch could just flip open. It needs quite a bit of effort to get it open on my case that's for sure. Really like the wifi features!!
Dave
I agree. It covers the entire top side ...well almost and is tough to prise out casually or even accidentally.

Id say it rivals my hero 2 as far as latch security is concerned. Light years ahead every other way. We'll see how it fares when I actually get it somewhere other than my aquarium. Hope to dive with it for a few weeks later this month in San Jose del Cabo.

Dave

I agree, it's not easy to flip the latch open. I put it in my pocket and don't want it to hang up somehow... I just feel more secure with the old style where you have to push the button to the side then pull.

I use the GoPro for more than diving, so I already had the LCD and both housings. You can definitely just go wide screen and get everything in. I've done that several times and it turn out okay.
I found that I don't really like the wide shot sometimes, because even when you think you are close enough to something, you really need to get closer to see it well on footage. So the LCD comes in handy when on the medium or narrow view.

With the LCD, you can also change the angle or any other setting more easily by seeing the options on the screen. Rather than trying to see the small dark display on the front.
You can always turn the LCD off if distracting or whatever.
Like someone mentioned before though, don't use the touch back door.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom