A buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive *within recreational limits* with a buddy who has no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 90 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 153 53.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I'm antisocial, I don't want a buddy in the first place

Votes: 34 11.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a buddy doesn't have an octo, i won't dive with them. Its not to be mean or anything, but what happens when i have an OOA sit. Buddy breathing under stressed conditions really isn't the way i want to solve something like that.

Depending on the type of dive it was, i would dive with a buddy not having an octo. Especially if I am using my own gear which has either independent doubles or a single tank with h-valves

wow, Lobster diving in 15 ft of water and some of you guys won't dive because the other guy doesn't have an octo. Reading these threads, it's apparent that some of you are terrified of buddy breathing. Perhaps some practice is needed until it's second nature. After all, what are you going to do when one of your buddy's regs sh_ts to bed during your OOA...

all4scuba05:
wow, Lobster diving in 15 ft of water and some of you guys won't dive because the other guy doesn't have an octo. Reading these threads, it's apparent that some of you are terrified of buddy breathing. Perhaps some practice is needed until it's second nature. After all, what are you going to do when one of your buddy's regs sh_ts to bed during your OOA...

At 15 feet, exhale, kick up and then establish positive buoyancy... Buddy breathing is way too much of a potential cluster for 15 feet...

I think that everyone should practice and get comfortable with buddy breathing. Even if your buddy has a octo how often are they really used...lol...I use mine doing doubles drills, but other than that when a OOA happens you need to be prepared for the worst. Just my $0.02

lamont:
At 15 feet, exhale, kick up and then establish positive buoyancy... Buddy breathing is way too much of a potential cluster for 15 feet...

My thoughts exactly. It's just that too many here are preaching things that don't apply to all types of diving. The correct answer to many questions is "It depends"

A buddy with only one second stage (and therefore nothing to donate) is a diver I would consider a "fellow solo diver". I'd dive the same time and place, but I'd be sure to explain that since he is not carrying any emergency backup gas for me, I'm not going to carry any for him -- I'll just carry my own backup supply.

I would then plan my dive and ascent such that I'd have a reserve for him if he tries to kill himself, but if he comes to me for air, I'll be tattling to the captain upon surfacing and he *will* compensate me for my trouble... let's see, a mouthpiece, an air fill, and whatever the going rate would've been for a divemaster to babysit him, at least, possibly plus expenses.

ScottB:
Would you dive *within recreational limits* with a *trusted* buddy who did not have an Octo, Pony, or Independent doubles?

"trusted" is key for me. I don't know anyone who I would say I trust who doesn't have an octo as part of their standard kit.

If it's a charter or the like, a discovery that something is broken during the gearing-up, I normally take my pony, instant source of another regulator and backup gas.

My question is why you are planning on being out of air in the firstplace. I cary a redundant airsupply myself so it dosent matter if I am alone or unable to "borrow" air from another diver.

I don't see anyone mentioned about octo as a breathing device backup in case the second stage fails. I saw it happened, and it's very possible even though you have the high quality second stage.

If it helps, think that octo will save you own life if your second stage fails, if there is only one thing I want to bring down as back up, I'll choose octo instead of extra mask, extra fins, extra computer etc.
And imagine this, you are in OOA condition, after eliminating all the other problems; currents, distance, communication with buddy you manage to do buddy breathing. At that moment his second stage start to choke or free flow or leak or burst.

Both of your life are in danger, and all for the cheap octo. I say cheap because indeed octo is one of the cheapest dive equipment.

If you aim for streamline, go for Air2. I am a streamline freak, and Air2 suits me well.

Back
Top Bottom