A C-Card w/out OW cert. dives??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KyMermaidDivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I know resort courses get by with this, but an actual class for OW C-card? I'm just so concerned in regards to a certain instructor in my town that just issued a C-cared for Jr. Open Water and Open Water to some friends of mine and their son without taking them from a pool environment at the YMCA to a lake, quarry, or any open body of water with some depth! :11: Their son is 11 - 12 yrs old and going to Mexico in a couple of weeks with the neighbors, who promised not to take him deeper than 30 ft. Also, with the medical ck, he told everyone in the class if they put any medical problems on their form, he'd have to send them to the doc to get it checked, "so just don't put anything wrong on your form and we won't have to deal with that." Now, I had this same guy as my instructor several years ago and ran into some problems when I went to St. Croix to do my open water cert. dives. Thank GOD. we had a great group of dive instructors and they did half day pool sessions for 2 or 3 days to give us what we didn't get from our wonderful instructor, who I found to my horror about a week ago was still teaching ... to my friends and their son. I'm really worried about them, especially their son going to Mexico in two weeks. I offered the services of Chad and I to go over skills before his trip ... with the parents there, of course. Liability wise, I'm not so sure I was right in offering? I just imagine many scenarios and the kid going into panic mode never having been in an open water situation (and he's is a little daredevil) and shooting to the surface.

Any advice? The guys a charmer and you get taken in during the class ... I hear it in the way my friend discusses the classes and then laughs about it. As the saying goes, "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye" or much worse. :shakehead:

Thanks!

Ok, I know resort courses get by with this, but an actual class for OW C-card? I'm just so concerned in regards to a certain instructor in my town that just issued a C-cared for Jr. Open Water and Open Water to some friends of mine and their son without taking them from a pool environment at the YMCA to a lake, quarry, or any open body of water with some depth! :11: Their son is 11 - 12 yrs old and going to Mexico in a couple of weeks with the neighbors, who promised not to take him deeper than 30 ft. Also, with the medical ck, he told everyone in the class if they put any medical problems on their form, he'd have to send them to the doc to get it checked, "so just don't put anything wrong on your form and we won't have to deal with that." Now, I had this same guy as my instructor several years ago and ran into some problems when I went to St. Croix to do my open water cert. dives. Thank GOD. we had a great group of dive instructors and they did half day pool sessions for 2 or 3 days to give us what we didn't get from our wonderful instructor, who I found to my horror about a week ago was still teaching ... to my friends and their son. I'm really worried about them, especially their son going to Mexico in two weeks. I offered the services of Chad and I to go over skills before his trip ... with the parents there, of course. Liability wise, I'm not so sure I was right in offering? I just imagine many scenarios and the kid going into panic mode never having been in an open water situation (and he's is a little daredevil) and shooting to the surface.

Any advice? The guys a charmer and you get taken in during the class ... I hear it in the way my friend discusses the classes and then laughs about it. As the saying goes, "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye" or much worse. :shakehead:

Thanks!

That Instructor NEEDS to be turned in to the Agency BEFORE he kills someone:11:

That childs life is at stake, If you do Nothing and the child is hurt or killed you will feel like.........@#$@# For life.

I'd have to agree, if you know the agency he is using to certify these folks please do the next victim..... excuse me, I should say "student" a favor and let the agency know. All of the agencies should be on the web- if you need a hand locating them just ask.

That Instructor NEEDS to be turned in to the Agency BEFORE he kills someone:11:

That childs life is at stake, If you do Nothing and the child is hurt or killed you will feel like.........@#$@# For life.

Jim,

He's been reported on prior negligence. My mouth dropped when I discovered he was still teaching. I've been itching to dial for the past week. Thanks for the feedback!

It's unfortunate that there is an agency out there that would allow this sort of thing to go on.
I'm surprised that this instructor is still teaching even after being reported.
The father and son students were robbed in this deal.

It's unfortunate that there is an agency out there that would allow this sort of thing to go on.

It's not just one agency, it's most of them. I know of a few reported incidents with more than one agency that have not resulted in instructors losing their instructor card.

I'd start with the Aquatics Director at the Y. That'll end his use of that pool.

Did some say he was a Y instructor? I just read that he was using a Y pool, many non-Y instructors do that.

Did some say he was a Y instructor? I just read that he was using a Y pool, many non-Y instructors do that.

The Y's just letting him host the class ... he's not a Y instructor, but still ...

The neighbor that taking the kid to Mexico is already certified and knows this instructor and got a small class together for this imcompetent to teach. Another mark will be recorded against this intructor for this family and for my piece of mind. I didn't turn him in when I was certified by him, but I'll make sure I do it for the kid and his parents.

It is outragous that he's still teaching, isn't it? Money does make the world go 'round, I guess. It's so important to research your instructor(s) ... some are worth their weight in gold and some are below the level of pond scum. I was certiified by this guy many years ago and learned things the hard way, myself. Thank God for the LDS in St. Croix that took the extra time (free of charge) to get our skills to where we should have been to begin our check out dives.

Have a great day, everyone.

Monica Rice Harlan ~ mrrdh@insightbb.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom