A call for action on marine conversation in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a thread that was started on Playainfo, Recent shark killings in the area. - Playa del Carmen, Mexico forum

If you know other boards/sites where cavewOman can get a bit of support, she will need all we can give her.

Super suggestion - hadn't even thought of the non-diving and marine boards. I'll hop on over there.

Over 300 sigs this morning - let's keep going!

Oh, and I have to say - it's not me you're supporting - I'm doing all I can to help, but the real heroes here are the group founders at UW Film here in Playa who are doing the heavy lifting, and the dive operators whose support is rolling in.

The petition
The Website
Facebook

The situation is terrible ..

Unfortunately the only sharks protected in Mexican waters are:

Whales, Tigers, Giant Mantas, Great Whites , and some species of mobulas.
This means that they should not be targeted.

By catch or accidental fishing of these species is not illegal within certain limits. This is also true in the US (maybe not everywhere).

I have been working with conservation in the Revillagigedos and Guadalupe island, it is a totally different story but at least there we are fighting illegal fishing.

Now, shark meat is served all over North America and in Mexico, the second largest fishery in some areas by tons is Cazon (a generic word for many species and sizes of sharks).

Two things to do here,

1) Work actively on protecting the Bull shark and in my case also all or at least some of the Hammer species, none of them are protected, and they are migratory of course .

2) Avoid shark meat in your diet and do not eat ceviche of unknown origin (most of them are shark or ray at least on the Pacific coast). Most important is to educate folks around you to do the same !!!

I will post the Green Peace Mexico link in the following email for species that should not be consumed in Mexico.

Last edited:
Signed it as well - this was very sad news to hear.

I just got back from Playa and was looking forward to doing the bull shark dive. I hope this petition helps and some changes are made to protect these beautiful animals.

Well, it's Saturday, and it's been a flurry of activity here in PDC and all over the interwebs. First - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who signed the petition and passed it on. Right now, there 477 signatures, from every corner of the globe.

Please keep talking and sharing - "Like" us on Facebook! That's today's version of "and she told two friends, and she told two friends, and so on..."

Now, here's what you can do next. The loudest voice to the local authorities is that of the local business community. A meeting has been arranged by APSA - the Riviera Maya Association of Dive and Water Sport Operators - for next Tuesday at City Hall. The meeting is for dive shop owners. APSA will be visiting local businesses beforehand, but it's pretty short lead time.

So, what can you do? Well, if you have a favorite dive op here in the Riviera Maya, send them the message that you, who's dollars are spent every year here, think that something needs to be done. Point them to APSA and to the Blueheart website.

That's my rambling for Saturday - keep up the good fight!

Here's the resources again:

Facebook - Blue Heart Society | Facebook
Website - www.blueheartsociety.org
Petition - Riviera Maya - Help Save our Marine Ecosystem Petition

Super suggestion - hadn't even thought of the non-diving and marine boards. I'll hop on over there.

They tried to get something going on the LocoGringo board, but the owner of the travel agency that runs the board wouldn't allow the thread on the main board. She moved it to the off topic forum. I guess she thought the publicity would be bad for business.

Some one over there posted that the Akumal Beach Resort serves shark on their buffet. They posted a picture of the sign on the buffet, but I couldn't get the link to work.

Here's a link if you want to contact them about there decision to serve shark Contact Us - Akumal Beach Resort

Just signed the petition!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom