A Kinematic Comparison of Dive Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The report, while interesting, is anecdotal data rather than good science, an interesting indicator to base a hypothesis on but not a result to make a judgment and decision from.

Dear Thalassamania, what a diving bio you have and still using jet fins. You must have had fun working with Captain Billy Deans. I made the Excellator fin for him. Terrorists of the mine, I will have to think about that.

The report, while interesting, is anecdotal data rather than good science, an interesting indicator to base a hypothesis on but not a result to make a judgment and decision from.

I fail to see how measured "data" can be "anecdotal" , the terms are by definition in opposition.

the conclusions drawn in the paper have a particularly small data set (1 diver) so the stastical validity may be drawn into question, but the scientific method and collected evidence is quantified data, not anecdotal. The conclusions drawn from the data follow the evidence collected to date and matches up with the current understanding of exercise theory.

So until you put up the money to expand the data set and prove the data wrong, or gain a PhD in Sports Medicine and Physiology to interpert the existing data differently you are in no position to discredit the data or the interpretation of it.

So force fins are good for people that get leg cramps? what about the rest of us?

If you are not concerned about cramps - comfort in constant kicking. Force Fin has an extremely long life span, 100% American made and the efficiency factor is greater than most of the fins on the market.

One reason I thought Ryan's study was so interesting

From my original post-
Ryan used a biomechanical analysis software program called Peak5® to digitize video footage of a swimmer moving past a viewing window in a pool kicking conventional fins and when kicking Force Fins. The software translated the range of motion, acceleration and velocity the hip, knee and ankle joints into data points that show the differences in that range of motion to reveal the strain put on those joints of the leg when kicking the fins.

Ryan was getting real information on the different effects of using different fin designs in the water, a comparison with no room for human interpretation. With the Peak5® software he could translate video footage of a diver’s leg in motion into percentages of range of motions on joints of the body, interpret forces acting on legs using known bio-mechanic norms and limitations of the human leg.

Last edited:
Wow, these are really great posts.

I am very glad to see that I have been able to provide fuel for such great discussion on a topic that interests so many people.

I would love to do an in depth discussion on the findings from my study.

I can say that the utmost of care was taken to conduct a scientific study. The cornerstone of making a study truly scientific is the ability for anyone to reproduce your study and achieve the same results.

To that end, the study was designed using a single subject, two category, two variable design, that was conducted in a closed environment pool with the subject swimming, with legs only.

The subject for this study was a competitive lever swimmer chosen for his near perfect swimming mechanics. This was done so that poor swimming mechanics could be eliminated from contaminating the collected data.

When I originally conceived this study I did not set out to prove anything other than there was some difference in swimming mechanics (kinematics) when you swim different styles of dive fins.

However, after reviewing the data and comparing it to basic body kinematics and physiology, I was able to show how cramps could be induced from simply forcing the body, or more appropriately, specific joints t obe put through a larger operating range of motion than they were designed to do.

I look forward to sharing posts with you all on this subject.

Thank you for you time.

Regards,
Ryan Lindsey

I was out diving the Inspiration CCR units last week when I noticed how the Excellerating Force Fin was breaking away from the foot on my dive buddy's feet and I immediately thought of Ryan Lindsey's study.
footfree_bm.jpg

I know he is getting his dive gear overhauled so I am looking forward to diving with him soon and talking more about his study.

Dear Thalassamania, what a diving bio you have and still using jet fins. You must have had fun working with Captain Billy Deans. I made the Excellator fin for him.
Hell ... If my plan is for a fast dash through big surf I use an even older fin: Duckfeet. I have yet to find the perfect fin (Force Fins included). From my experience, and for me, the Jetfin seems to be the best compromise.
I fail to see how measured "data" can be "anecdotal" , the terms are by definition in opposition.
The reason I reffered to it as "anecdotal" is that it is for a single subject. It is an interesting report of what would be best for a single person who has perfect form. The moment you begin to apply that in a more general way to other people that becomes a single anecdotal finding.
the conclusions drawn in the paper have a particularly small data set (1 diver) so the stastical validity may be drawn into question, but the scientific method and collected evidence is quantified data, not anecdotal. The conclusions drawn from the data follow the evidence collected to date and matches up with the current understanding of exercise theory.
No, his statistical findings are not being called into question, I am simply warning others that drawing any conclusion outside of the test individual is likely inappropriate.
So until you put up the money to expand the data set and prove the data wrong, or gain a PhD in Sports Medicine and Physiology to interpert the existing data differently you are in no position to discredit the data or the interpretation of it.
Lighten up, please. There is not requirement that I fund additional work to be entitled to interpret or for that matter discredit an alternate interpretation. It doesn't take a Ph.D. in statistic to understand the problem of drawing conclusions that are outside of the endpoints of your data set. There are numerous ways that the study could be dismissed out of hand, for example, who's to say that perfect swimming form translates into perfect finning form or that an single subject, no matter how experienced, would bring the same level of skill to the use of two radically different fin types, I know I alter my kick depending on which pair of fins I use.

The reason I reffered to it as "anecdotal" is that it is for a single subject. It is an interesting report of what would be best for a single person who has perfect form. The moment you begin to apply that in a more general way to other people that becomes a single anecdotal finding.
No, his statistical findings are not being called into question, I am simply warning others that drawing any conclusion outside of the test individual is likely inappropriate.

Any conclusion outside the test- what did the test show, lets see, he more fully described the motion of legs only fin swimming. then measured the changes in form comparing different fins. He then observed that over extending muscles which is known to cause pain is reduced by using ForceFins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom