A little fishie told me....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Essroc123

Reaction score
All,

I was wondering if anyone had heard of an incident that happened up Tobermory way. Keep in mind I do not know when this happened.

I guess what happened was that a divers inflator opened up and he panicked, and rode the express elevator to the surface from a hundred or so feet. I have heard that he held his breath, but I do not know.

Supposedly what happened next was rather messy.

Can anyone either confirm or debunk this?

Safe Dives,

Will Johnson

Could be this one.

The guy apparently ditched his tank as well as the one his buddy gave him, and died of some type of fluid (not water) in his lungs.

All the articles say that they will know more after the investigation, but I couldn't find any references after that.

Terry

http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s030624/s030624.html

Essroc123:
All,

I was wondering if anyone had heard of an incident that happened up Tobermory way. Keep in mind I do not know when this happened.

I guess what happened was that a divers inflator opened up and he panicked, and rode the express elevator to the surface from a hundred or so feet. I have heard that he held his breath, but I do not know.

Supposedly what happened next was rather messy.

Can anyone either confirm or debunk this?

Safe Dives,

Will Johnson

Very unfortunate accident. My condolences to the family and loved ones.
It appears to be a mysterious condition that can affect male over 45 and is caused by submersion in cold water.
I did some research and it appears that it is not really clear why this condition occures. It is assumed that the peripheral blood vessel constrict due to the cold, which causes a rise in the blood pressure, which the heart can't cope with. Exercises appear to facilitate the condition. Additionaly, it is assumed that cardiac arrhythmia developes due to the conflicting signals of the body. This arrhythmia may contribute to the development of the condition.
Is there a dive doc or a cardiologist on board that could inform us further about this condition?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom