A Nice Suprise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishstiq

Registered
Reaction score
My buddy and I went for an "after-worker" a couple days ago at one of our regular spots, Mukilteo, on the north side of the hotel. Not the greatest or most fantabulouristic site ever, but a familiar favorite. Anyway, rather than our usual north/south line, we decided to swim straight out to a new shiny red buoy we have been seeing for a few days now, just to see what it was attached to. What we found was an awesome suprise, a large pvc-and-ziptie built sphere. It's large enough to swim into and hover with a buddy, and plenty of room to spare. With the bad vis, and being nightfall, the shape of this newfound object slowly emerged from the darkness with the hum of a docking ferry neaby, giving it an erie feel. We now refer to it as the sphere of evil, or "Sphevle". There were two octopi around it, one about the size of a small pumpkin and the other palm-sized, and just to the shore side a pod of 5-6 ratfish. This find brought a newness to our old site that gave it the excitement of a first dive again.

Now, I told that story to ask this question, a bit like Arlo Gudthrey... One, who built the Sphevle, when and how and why? Whoever you are, thank you!! I doth my cap to you sir (or mam)! You sir have MOXY!! Two, does anyone know who I would contact (or what shadow organization would contact me...) if I wanted to help with projects like this, learning how to do them and possibly one day starting projects like this on my own? I would gladly volunteer my time and effort to such projects, and through my employment I have access to a lot of building materials and stuff. Although I have no shortage of entheusiasm, what I do lack is knowledge an experience. I know nothing about permits, site location selection, or preffered materials. Any help on this topic would be appreciated, or if anyone needs an amphibious apprentice, or whatever.

Again, thank you to the creator(s) of the Sphevle, for your efforts and for renewing my enthusiasm for an old site.

Its creator says its actually a ichosohedron, geometricaly speaking. He calls it the geo-dome and he goes by the handle 'mcguiver' over at www.northwestdiver.com. He had built one in the past but it was destroyed by vandals. The new one was just finished.

-Ben

Fishstiq:
My buddy and I went for an "after-worker" a couple days ago at one of our regular spots, Mukilteo, on the north side of the hotel. Not the greatest or most fantabulouristic site ever, but a familiar favorite. Anyway, rather than our usual north/south line, we decided to swim straight out to a new shiny red buoy we have been seeing for a few days now, just to see what it was attached to. What we found was an awesome suprise, a large pvc-and-ziptie built sphere. It's large enough to swim into and hover with a buddy, and plenty of room to spare. With the bad vis, and being nightfall, the shape of this newfound object slowly emerged from the darkness with the hum of a docking ferry neaby, giving it an erie feel. We now refer to it as the sphere of evil, or "Sphevle". There were two octopi around it, one about the size of a small pumpkin and the other palm-sized, and just to the shore side a pod of 5-6 ratfish. This find brought a newness to our old site that gave it the excitement of a first dive again.

Now, I told that story to ask this question, a bit like Arlo Gudthrey... One, who built the Sphevle, when and how and why? Whoever you are, thank you!! I doth my cap to you sir (or mam)! You sir have MOXY!! Two, does anyone know who I would contact (or what shadow organization would contact me...) if I wanted to help with projects like this, learning how to do them and possibly one day starting projects like this on my own? I would gladly volunteer my time and effort to such projects, and through my employment I have access to a lot of building materials and stuff. Although I have no shortage of entheusiasm, what I do lack is knowledge an experience. I know nothing about permits, site location selection, or preffered materials. Any help on this topic would be appreciated, or if anyone needs an amphibious apprentice, or whatever.

Again, thank you to the creator(s) of the Sphevle, for your efforts and for renewing my enthusiasm for an old site.

#2 - If you have an interest in building things underwater why don't you come join us at the Edmonds Underwater Park for a work dive? There are many lessons and techniques to be learned as you get to work with Bruce Higgins - a master underwater craftsman if ever there was one. Schedule is easy - show up at the Edmonds UW Sports at 9 AM any Satruday or Sunday. Bruce as always is willing to share his knowledge of divesites, potential reef areas, materials, habitat types, permits and more.
Give it a shot. JDR :D

Hey fishstiq, glad to hear you enjoyed the Geo Dome. The original was constructed back in 2002 by myself and my best friend Ben Giard along with several other local divers. At the time Ben and I were working at the everett underwater sports. Around the same time Ben and I installed the School crossing sign up on the training rope. We thought it would be funny for students taking there dive "School" to come accross a "School" crossing sign during there dive. The original Geo Dome was unfortunatly destroyed by vandals a couple years ago but after over therteen hours of bottom time and around twenty hours of surface "prep work" I was able to rebuild it. The next step I plan to reinforce it with 1/4" cables to prevent a recurrance of the destruction on the original dome and then moove the memorial angel statue into the center of it. I appreciate your offer to help with any other projects but this is something I have to do alone, I have remained active in diving over the last couple of years but I rairly dive with a buddy anymore this project for me is to remind everyone how much we all lost when on june 18th 2003 a great asset to the local diving comunity and my best friend was killed while we were doing a night dive on the original geo dome. The link is to a discussion thread that took place afterwords on the northwestdiver.com forum.

http://www.northwestdiver.com/showthread.php?t=14788&highlight=ben+giard

Mcguiver,

I will never look at the "Geo Dome" the same again. I read the thread you offered and will think of Ben whenever I happen across the structure. It seems that what we were calling the "sphevil" is actually something conceived of love, and friendship and the memory of a lost dive buddy. Carry on with your construction, we'll be around from time to time to see how its coming along. I must say I smile whenever I see the sign you are referring to. Thank you for your contribution to this dive site, and thank you for explaining the significance of your project.

wow...mcquiver...i remember when that event happened...and i agree with Pez....the geodome is a memorial.....to what we all love, to life, and to enjoy each moment as there is no guarantee. Thank you for perservering in this sport, and your courage to continue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom