A question about the devils eye/ear entrances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaper sign is (hopefully) warning off the non trained.

Does not mean anyone has actually died there. (Although in popular caves they probably have)

In the system in question, several have died.

Can you show me that statute?
I sure can't but I can pm you my name and contact information. That way you can leave a note leaving me your dive gear when you die. The odds of your dying are pretty high, so I'll be watching the news in anticipation of having your executor call to tell me where to pick up your gear.

I am considering something and wanted some opinions from someone who has done this...

I have no interest in taking a cave course or becoming cave certified or going any deeper into a cave than I'm discussing in this thread, there is one thing kind of "cavey" I want to try though. I would, of course, take a reel and a light and a backup light....

Looking at a map of the devils eye/ear system it seems fairly simple to go into the ear, stay with the wall to your left and circle around and come back out the eye. like a really big swim through.

I would like to know, from people who have done that very thing... gone into the ear and around and come out the eye, are there any really tight spaces in that little loop that make that more difficult than it seems on paper.

I really don't want this to degrade into an ethics discussion about cave certification, this is a question about topography of that particular loop from the ear to the eye....

We used to do exactly this when I was a teen, long before Ginny was a commercial operation. It was just a spring in the woods down a sandy dirt trail frequented by hippies and skinny dippers. It is quite simple and in retrospect, very DANGEROUS. At least we had somebody who had lived doing it to show the way, very foolish.

You say you have no interest in cave diving and then toss in a huge exception. This exception is of the type that can get you killed. I have seen a body pulled from a cave, it is horrible (nothing to do with me) and it is a horrible way to die I am sure. Hanging on the top of a cave, lost in total darkness and the last breaths are pulled from your tank, thinking of your mother, gf, wife, buddies you will never see again.

Please refrain from going into a cave without training and equipment and this particular cave can in fact kill you.

N

I am considering something and wanted some opinions from someone who has done this...

I have no interest in taking a cave course or becoming cave certified or going any deeper into a cave than I'm discussing in this thread, there is one thing kind of "cavey" I want to try though. I would, of course, take a reel and a light and a backup light....

Looking at a map of the devils eye/ear system it seems fairly simple to go into the ear, stay with the wall to your left and circle around and come back out the eye. like a really big swim through.

I would like to know, from people who have done that very thing... gone into the ear and around and come out the eye, are there any really tight spaces in that little loop that make that more difficult than it seems on paper.

I really don't want this to degrade into an ethics discussion about cave certification, this is a question about topography of that particular loop from the ear to the eye....

Enjoy your dive ... rip.jpg

And for the record there are more than a few of us who consider anything longer than a body length or two to be more than a swimthrough.
I actually hate that term.

It's something used to justify an unsafe practice for divers who often have no business in the water let alone going through an overhead. And what is worse than you dying is that others will have to put themselves in UNNECESSARY jeopardy to haul your corpse out.

Personally when someone does something stupid like this I think they should be allowed to just stay there and rot. Take pictures of the various states of decomposition and post them as a warning to idiots that think this is some kind of game.

I have overhead training. And do limited teaching of it in wecks and under the ice. But even with this I am not cave or even cavern trained and would not undertake such a stupid move. And another question I've not seen asked is who is your buddy going to be for this kamikaze mission? How are you going to talk them into it? And if something happens and you make it out and they don't how are you going to justify to their family your killing of their loved one?

I hope this is a troll. Really I do. Otherwise the ultimate outcome may be for the best as it can only clean up the gene pool.

I am with you Jim. Where does swim through end. I have done >1000 foot swim throughs.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2012 at 12:32 PM ----------

Another thing that kills me, you sought instruction to learn to scuba dive, why in the hell would you not seek it to cave dive?

Reaper sign is (hopefully) warning off the non trained.

Does not mean anyone has actually died there. (Although in popular caves they probably have)

People have died there. Check this out...

Cave diver's body found at Ginnie Springs | Gainesville.com

Everyone, please dive within your training. If you want to dive wrecks, caves, or deep, get the appropriate training.

Ron

I really don't want this to degrade into an ethics discussion about cave certification, ....

And there you have it.......the next time one reads about someone dying in an environment that they had no business in, maybe we'll remember the above quote....

The NRA emphasizes "knowledge, skills, and attitude". We can teach knowledge and skills but attitude is something that comes along with the student........and is beyond the control of the instructor (though the NRA allows the instructor to prevent a student from successfully completing a course based solely on attitude).

In reference to the OP, I would encourage you to ensure your will and affairs are in order.....while this particular endeavor MIGHT not get you, I feel confident that another will (unless your attitude changes).....as your current attitude is nothing more than playing Russian roulette.....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom