A question for fresh water reservoir divers....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Up here in Kanto, I have been tempted by nearby Okutamako and Sayamako. Tamako is 10 minutes away and since they are redoing the old dam, they have half drained both resevoirs. Everytime I jog the perimeter I make mental notes for future potential dive sites once its filled back up. Local Higashimurayama legend has it that an old temple remains at the bottom someplace.

We dive a similar sight in Arkanasas. It gets nice and cilly going from 88 degrees on top to 58 degrees at 60 feet. our lake is 120+ feet deep and vis can change daily. it is often better at depth but u need lights to see much. watch for trees. fishermen leave lots of goodies in trees to catch a diver.

Kim,

You might be coming up against a "no human contact" rule that is common for many drinking water reservoirs here in Colorado. This means boating and fishing is allowed, but no swimming (or diving). This somehow maintains the purity of the drinking water supply.

Of course, this makes no sense, because the moment you allow boating you have oil being dumped into the water from the engines, all the trash like beer cans and "balls 'o' fire" bait bottles being thrown into the water and, as a matter of necessity, after drinking the beer, drunk people standing in their boats whizzing into the water.

Doesn't matter how much we point this out to the powers that be, the "no human contact" appears to be immutable in this state.

Roak

DA Aquamaster gave a very conscise briefing about lake diving. To that thorough description, I'll add a few observations since roughly 60 percent of my dives are in small freshwater lakes, reservoirs and quarries.
He's right on about visibility. From the looks of the pix and diagrams in the original post, there are several inlets. These are most likely from streams that flow into the impoundment. These areas often are poor choices for dive sites becuase they are where the streams drop much of their silt load, and visibility will suffer. Generally, I've found that steeper walls along the main channel do better. Also, the closer to the dam the better, since most of the silt will have settled down by this point. However, watch out for the marked areas. Stay out of these.
Thermoclines are usually sharp and distinct. Be ready for wildly varying temps depending upon depth. Go dressed for the occassion, of course.
Be sure to take a knife or other cutting tool. If the site is fished, there will generally be lots of line. If you should become entangled, it's usually a simple matter to slice your way free, but it takes time, so don't press your air limits too closely. Leave yourself some leeway so that you have plenty of time to free yourself without rushing.
Have a partner. I have found that lakes make poor places to solo dive, at least when the conditions such as poor vis and other hazards make things less favorable.
With time, explore deeper parts of the lake. Often, the thermoclines provide distinct zones, some of which will provide better visibility. However, have a good light because even though the zone may be clearer, it will still be dark because of the layers blocking the light from above.
In short, have fun, but stay safe. Lakes can be a lot of fun. Folks who dive "only ocean" may not know what they are missing!

DA Aquamaster:
I'd definitiely find out where the head works are and I suspect the bouy markers are there to keep people away from the head works. I noticed once when I got too close ot the headworks of a hydroelectric damn that I was drifting along the bottom in what was normally a currently reservoir. Headworks an low visibility can be a very dangerous combination.

Jeez! Is there a danger of being sucked up into the dam works? Like, crunched up in a generator or something? The very thought of this scares the willies out of me...

Ice9:
Jeez! Is there a danger of being sucked up into the dam works? Like, crunched up in a generator or something? The very thought of this scares the willies out of me...
Simple answer is, If you get to close YES! Any unsuspecting outlet can get you if your not informed and/or prepared for it.

Gary D.

roakey:
Kim,

You might be coming up against a "no human contact" rule that is common for many drinking water reservoirs here in Colorado.
Maybe. It's more probably a "we don't understand it and it might be dangerous" rule which basically says say NO to everything unless there is a clear reson to say yes.
Actually, the Japanese aren't very good swimmers. Their swimming pools are always only a depth that you can stand up in anywhere - you can never be 'out of your depth'. There are probably real pools in the bigger cities etc but you probably have to join clubs, prove you can swim etc etc before they let you anywhere near them. In this area there used to be many coal mines. That means that there are lots of different types of blackwater ponds and small lakes - old filled in pits, excavations etc etc. There is no swimming allowed in any of them and occasionally you get kids drowning in them because they've never really been taught a)how to swim properly...and b) to respect those type of water environments and what can lurk just below the surface that can grab you such as mud, weeds, branches etc.
The solution here isn't to educate for safety, it's to prohibit for safety.

If we can get to the right people and demonstrate that we have the skill and knowledge to do it, there's a small chance that we might get permission. Whether it's worth it in terms of the hassle it might cost for the return we can get.......I'm still undecided. I might be better off persuading Fukuoka Prefecture to allow me to supply Nitrox fills instead (something that's also not allowed in this province!!!!) At least there are a couple of other examples where that is allowed in Japan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom