A return to Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently spent almost two weeks in PG and loved it. Stayed in Small Lalaguna. Three nice places right in a row: Out of the Blue (Action Divers), Arkipelago and Lalaguna Village (aka LLV). Dove with all 3 at one time or another and you won't go wrong with any of them. The Verandah restaurant is also nice. Had many meals there.

Far enough away from Sabang Port that you don't see/hear the sleazy/dumpy part, yet you're still a 5-10 minute walk from nice dining like Tamarind and decent-enough waterholes like Big Apple and Sly Dogs where one can regularly strike up an interesting conversation with someone from just about every corner of the planet over a cold, post-dive drink.

The diving was great, too...

The area IS crowded with boats and has lots of newer divers. And it was low season, so sometimes had challenges lining up more advanced stuff like a night dive or Verde Island but it all worked out eventually. And Centrals wasn't wrong: go to Verde Island even if none of the shops are running a trip and you have to take out a second mortgage or sell your firstborn to take a private boat.

Oh, there was one patch of the trail from Small Lalaguna to the Port area where it was occasionally kinda muddy during rains or high tides, but easy enough to wash your sandals in the ocean. And they do sort of keep an eye on it: twice while I was there, they brought in some sand and gravel to fill in the puddles...

Oh, there was one patch of the trail from Small Lalaguna to the Port area where it was occasionally kinda muddy during rains or high tides, but easy enough to wash your sandals in the ocean. And they do sort of keep an eye on it: twice while I was there, they brought in some sand and gravel to fill in the puddles...

thanks for your input
did dive center boats not leave from the directly in front of the dive center?

thanks for your input
did dive center boats not leave from the directly in front of the dive center?
Yup, right in front. DMs and guides handled all the gear and I never had to touch/assemble anything unless I wanted to. Just walk out the front door and onto the bangka.

If you're thinking of the 5-10 minute walk and the occasional puddle I mentioned, that was to walk over to the port area for more bars and restaurants (though the 3 or 4 that are in Small Lalaguna are good, too.)

If you are staying on either Small or Large La Laguna then you probably would not notice the wee bit of nightlife in Sabang. And if you use the newly constructed coastal road then you might ask where is the night life and why so quiet!!

Agree. I didn't even realize when I was booking a spot in Big LaLaguna, Scandi Divers, that we would be bypassing the scene in Sabang. So our stay was peaceful and serene. Only if you want - You can easily and safely walk in 15 minutes over to the city, see the other dive resorts on top of each other, turn down all the offers of massage, and enjoy interesting sights and the hustle and bustle and shopping opportunities of a town.

Location and location.
Atlantis Dive Resort is also on Sabang Beach and it is dead quiet at night.

There are numerous quiet accommodations on Patong Beach in Phuket unless ones is preferred to stay close to Bangla Road.
Patong Beach is a dump? If you are looking for it!! LOL.

Location and location.
Atlantis Dive Resort is also on Sabang Beach and it is dead quiet at night.

There are numerous quiet accommodations on Patong Beach in Phuket unless ones is preferred to stay close to Bangla Road.
Patong Beach is a dump? If you are looking for it!! LOL.

I've stayed at Atlantis PG twice - not "dead quiet" <- not even close.

I've stayed at Atlantis PG twice - not "dead quiet" <- not even close.
LOL.
Must be packed with drunken American.
Only TWICE! Far out.
My record is twice in a same month and about 10 times in one particular yr to dive in PG.
Never stayed at Atlantis but has walked pass through it on numerous occasions! Have dinner there few times and the restaurant was dead quiet.

Have you ever stayed anywhere close to Bangla Rd on Patong Beach in Phuket?

LOL.
Must be packed with drunken American.
Only TWICE! Far out.
My record is twice in a same month and about 10 times in one particular yr to dive in PG.
Never stayed at Atlantis but has walked pass through it on numerous occasions! Have dinner there few times and the restaurant was dead quiet.

Have you ever stayed anywhere close to Bangla Rd on Patong Beach in Phuket?

I've stayed at Atlantis twice, a couple of other places in PG as well (I lived in Manila for 4 years - took long weekend dive trips a couple of times a month).

The restaurant is "dead quiet" because the food is average at best. The noise doesn't come from inside the resort, it comes from the bars along Sabang beach.

So many better places to stay/dive than PG in PH.

I've stayed at Atlantis twice, a couple of other places in PG as well (I lived in Manila for 4 years - took long weekend dive trips a couple of times a month).

The restaurant is "dead quiet" because the food is average at best. The noise doesn't come from inside the resort, it comes from the bars along Sabang beach.

So many better places to stay/dive than PG in PH.
LOL.
Have you been to PG at all?
Bars along Sabang beach!!!!!!
The only bar that is near to Atlantis is their own!!!! There isn't one within 100m!!!

LOL.
Have you been to PG at all?
Bars along Sabang beach!!!!!!
The only bar that is near to Atlantis is their own!!!! There isn't one within 100m!!!

To be more specific -walk out the front of the resort, turn right... within a couple of min you will be in midst of bars (technically not Sabang, "Sabang-adjacent")

Having said this, they had set up a stage on Sabang and there were bands playing each night from the beach. This was both loud and not great music...

Back
Top Bottom