a SCUBA diver was almost killed at a local marina in St.Margaret's Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many divers and swimmers who enter the water at marinas risk a substantial exposure to AC current. Many unexplained accidents are actually caused by electrocution. This may be an intermittent problem and hard to detct. Most people are unaware of this danger to divers around marinas. Professional divers and PSD divers are generally familiar with this problem and will lock out electrical panels, etc. before diving. This is one scenario that came to mind when I read of the accident.

stacey_n_jamie:
"c" cards arent the measure of a diver its experience that makes a better diver and in less than 500 dives no one has much experience..

I have to disagree with you on that one I was part of the Airborne Regiment and I notice that people with lots of jumps use to forget the basic I think that if you think like a professional and you keep that in your mind you can be just as good as what you do as someone who has done it forever at least I have notic that with jumping the majority of accident were the jumper with the most jumps I don't know I think that they lower their guards or it is too much a habit for them and BAM do you agree with me or do you understand what I am trying to say. I don't mean that everybody is the same but ......

Hey guys (and gals)-
Let's keep the personal attacks out of the public forums.
Thank you.

Firediver:
Try Naui..

BTw if you want me to be specific on the dive it was the SS rosecastle in NFLD.. down her side to the center torpedo hole to see it's massive size, then back up to the marconie room at 110', puttered around her deck then back up the down line.. I was with 10 other divers, four penatrated, my buddy and myself and the others puttered around the deck... I am not trained in penetration why would i do it..... I am trained in deep diving and deco diving.. I don't take uneccessary risks....... Guess it all comes down to common sense then... YOu make the choice you live with the consequences........ Now I better go up date my profile since it hasn't been in over 2 yrs......
http://www.naui.com/specialty_divers.php#deep

This indicates that NAUI only trains to 130 feet before technical diving training. 142 feet seems to be well beyond this training limit.

Am I misinterpreting something?

Whatever I did it once and haven't done it since not even on nitrox. I wanted to see the torpedo hole, I followed a few tech friends and my buddy over the rail on the rosecastle.. Saw the hole.. pretty big and cool too :p.. then back up to the anchorline tide on the rail and puttered around the marconi room and the deck.. It was fun, the vis was phenomenal... I made the choice to do the depth. IF and when I go back I will do it again................Can honestly say I would DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN if conditions allow..
At least I am not doing commercial work with only recreational scuba training.

On another note......

Is there not a standard on how rental gear is to be kept up by a dive shop, or is that just kinda a renter beware sort of thing?? Just curious..

So do you agree that 142' is indeed into the technical realm?

Doing a dive to 142' doesn't make it a technical dive or the diver technical, any more than cleaning a fish pen makes a diver commercial. It just means a sport diver pushed their limits and got away with it (an apt definition from Steve Lewis I heard recently, in reference to the difference between sport & technical divers!)

jonnythan:
So do you agree that 142' is indeed into the technical realm?

naiya:
Doing a dive to 142' doesn't make it a technical dive or the diver technical, any more than cleaning a fish pen makes a diver commercial. It just means a sport diver pushed their limits and got away with it (an apt definition from Steve Lewis I heard recently, in reference to the difference between sport & technical divers!)
I'm not sure if I want to dispute your claims, but my point was that a 142' dive is well into the technical limits (and past the recreational limits) of all major training agencies, NAUI included.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom