A shared experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I think this is the best place for this post and apologies beforehand for such a lengthy one.

Another sunny day in UAE, thankfully as it has been cr@p over the past week, overcast and some light rain, not that I was complaining too much as the air temperatures had returned downwards to around 30C.

Today’s planned dives was unusual, I had a buddy :D

I picked up Gemma from her apartment block at 0630 and had a good chat with her on the way on the 2-hour drive over to the dive operator that I normally use. I had only dived with Gemma twice before, however I knew that her air consumption was on par or better than mine, plus she has a great pair of eyes and would help me spot some tiny critters.

I was aware through a telephone call with the dive operator that there were only two other divers on the boat and one was a photographer. On arrival I discovered that the other divers were from Turkey and staying at the dive operator's accommodation and had been expecting me to arrive as the owner Hassan had informed them that I would be diving today and knew the local dive sites, in particular for macro photography.

After unloading the car, setting my gear up and during a cup of tea, three Russians pitched up, basically a tour operator and two guests that were looking to dive. Hassan, the owner, knew the tour operator and set about sorting gear out for the young Russian couple, who’s English was such that the tour operator had to do some translating. I did notice that Hassan checked their dive cards and heard “more than a year” in their conversation.

After introduction to the Turkish divers, Ahmet and Aylin, I began loading my gear on to the boat for the two dives. I noted that Ahmet was shooting a similar macro set up to me with a +10 wet diopter on his housed Canon SLR, which started up a conversation on lenses etc.

After my first trip to the boat to load camera and additional gear, Aylin approached me, wearing only a 1mm tropical skin thing, with a horrified look on her face, as I returned from the beach wearing my hooded vest and 5mm semi dry half on. She asked me if the water was cold. I informed her that I normally feel cold, and that since I don’t move around much I prefer to be comfortable. The last dives I had done two weeks ago had water temps of 23C, for me that is still 5mm semi dry conditions. Aylin had been told that the water temperatures were warm.

After some conversation between Ahmet and Aylin in Turkish, some additional exposure protection was applied.

With all six divers on board, Romy the boat driver, prepared to cast off and Aylin asked me if I was going to lead the dives, my reply was a straight No!

First of all, I am not a DM, I come to dive for the pleasure of photographing critters not leading dives. This diver operator does not have a DM or guide on the boat, basically it is every diver for themselves, and I normally dive solo with the appropriate redundancy systems.

Anyway, as Romy was preparing to up anchor, I thought I better give some sort of briefing on the dives sites that I had chosen for today, Inchcape 2 and Car Cemetery, both great sites for macro photography.

During the briefing I noticed that the two Russians, who were using 100% rental kit, had no form of timing device on them (watch or computer). I immediately informed Romy who then postponed our departure and returned to the dive shop to pick up two computers.

At that point I also asked everyone to do a complete buddy check, both Gemma and I had done so prior to boarding the boat. I gave the Russians a brief description on how a Suunto Zoop will display data and told them to watch their gauges and time during the dives. Not really sure if they understood me to be honest, it was all smiles and head nodding.

We then set off for Inchcape 2. On arrival there was one boat on the mooring, which moved off to let us hook on and that boat then tied on to ours. This is normal dive boat etiquette here to allow divers to start on the mooring rather than to swim against possible surface currents before starting the dive. Visibility rarely allows a visual reference to a mooring one-boat distance away.

Gemma was first off, followed by me, and once Romy passed my housing over we descended to the wreck. We hung around the mooring line having a look around until the other divers appeared and once everybody gave the OK Gemma and I set off looking for critters.

At some point we were joined by a boatload of other divers and Inchcape 2 became very busy, but after twenty five minutes or so became quieter as the air divers reached their NDLs. Gemma and I were on EAN32, however Gemma bailed at just over 60 minutes as she was cold in her 3mm suit. I continued solo for another 10 minutes, searching for something special.

When I surfaced, our boat was third in line. Aylin was sitting in the sun shivering, trying to get warm, her 1mm suit and body vest was obviously not sufficient for today’s temps at the bottom.

The Russians appeared okay and were even game to go snorkeling during the SI, oh to be young again and not feel the cold! I have no idea how long their dive was.

On the second dive at car cemetery I gave another pre-dive briefing. There was another strange look on Aylin’s face when I informed everyone that once we leave the anchor area it will be unlikely that we can find out way back to it, and the usual practice is that we usually shoot an SMB and surface. I was the only diver with an SMB. The Turkish couple had left their SMBs at home, in Turkey!

I told them that they could follow me of course, but since everyone was diving air and Gemma and I on Nitrox, our bottom times were going to be different.

Romy dropped the anchor, but on descent I was not familiar with the area, this dive site is well scattered, two weeks ago he was bang on but today not. Visibility was also quite poor, and this is not an easy site to navigate. Once everyone was at the bottom and everyone gave an OK, Gemma and I set off looking for more parts of the scattered wreckage. Nobody joined us and after 70 minutes I sent up my SMB and we surfaced.

Back on the boat I discovered that all four divers had not left the area of the anchor and had ascended using the anchor line. Aylin was still very cold despite a 1-degree increase in temperature to 24C.

Before the tour operator took the Russians back to Dubai, the couple came up to me and shook my hand thanking me for a wonderful day as this was their first dive! I hope that there was something missing from the translation.

Just before I left, Hassan the dive operator asked me how did the Russians dive, were they okay? I replied that I had no idea, as Gemma and I were not diving with them. From his facial response my response was not the answer he expected, I wonder what he had told the Russians?

So what is the point of this post aside from sharing some information on my dives yesterday?

1. When asking about water temperatures, don’t accept replies that merely state that it is warm, or you will be okay in a 3mm!
  2. When booking dives at a dive operator, check beforehand if there is a guide or DM on the trip, with this particular dive op, there is never a guide or DM.
  3. Because of point 2 above, should the most senior diver on board be responsible for everyone else? My opinion is no, we were all qualified divers (AFAIK) and therefore responsible for our own safety, but I am sure other people may have different ideas on this.
  4. It appears that most divers expect a guide or DM on board when diving with a new operator in a new country for the first time, even some apparently experienced divers.
  5. If you own equipment for safety purposes, make sure that you bring it with you, it's not very useful if still at home.
  6. Not all dive operators are truthful about their operations, and it might be prudent to make more inquiries when booking dive trips with new or unknown operators.

So... where are the pics???

That's a great write up. Quite often Dive Ops expect frequent guests to step up to the plate and guide the other divers on the boat. That's not always fair! Don't make promises about such a thing until you ask the diver you want to lead. I have led many a dive like this and I don't have a problem with it. I do have a problem finding out in the middle of a dive that I'm in charge.

So... where are the pics???

That's a great write up. Quite often Dive Ops expect frequent guests to step up to the plate and guide the other divers on the boat. That's not always fair! Don't make promises about such a thing until you ask the diver you want to lead. I have led many a dive like this and I don't have a problem with it. I do have a problem finding out in the middle of a dive that I'm in charge.

Thanks NetDoc

Well here is one from Inchcape 2 of a Hypselodoris carnae

Well if the dive operator had approached me beforehand and asked me to lead the dives I would have probably agreed provided there was no charge for me and my buddy for the boat trip, although as I mentioned I am not a DM and neither is my buddy (both Rescue divers).

Oddly enough I understand exactly what you are saying.
I always ask my buddy, "How the HXXX do I get myself into these things?" Her reply is simply DON'T!
We sound similar in many ways and I am certain that you did far better than what it would have been if it was a simple cluster!
I say thanks for stepping to the plate, someone had to to.

As far as buddy concerns adult beverages always or a hot meal after a cold dive always are good!
I have the best dive brothers and sisters in the world and they all know for the good, bad, and indifferent!
They still dive with me so I try to pay it forward because undoubtedly the trials will come.

CamG

1. When asking about water temperatures, don’t accept replies that merely state that it is warm, or you will be okay in a 3mm!
  2. When booking dives at a dive operator, check beforehand if there is a guide or DM on the trip, with this particular dive op, there is never a guide or DM.
  3. Because of point 2 above, should the most senior diver on board be responsible for everyone else? My opinion is no, we were all qualified divers (AFAIK) and therefore responsible for our own safety, but I am sure other people may have different ideas on this.
  4. It appears that most divers expect a guide or DM on board when diving with a new operator in a new country for the first time, even some apparently experienced divers.
  5. If you own equipment for safety purposes, make sure that you bring it with you, it's not very useful if still at home.
  6. Not all dive operators are truthful about their operations, and it might be prudent to make more inquiries when booking dive trips with new or unknown operators.

1. That goes for anyplace. All you can tell anybody is the temperature. Whether that's warm or cold or what exposure protection is necessary depends on the diver. I've worn a drysuit in Florida where some of the "macho guys" wore nothing more than a bathing suit and a big knife strapped to a leg.
  2. That only really matters if you want a DM.
  3. No, as a customer, you're not responsible for anybody except you and your buddy (this may vary according to local laws and I'm not a lawyer). In fact, being handed a random number of unknown divers to watch is something a lot of professionals won't touch.
  4. You can expect whatever you want, but that doesn't have any effect on what actually happens. In most parts of the US, there might be a DM on the boat to help out with anchoring/mooring, getting the divers ready, but there's almost never a DM in the water unless you arrange it beforehand. In many parts of the Caribbean, you can't get rid of the DM if you try. It really depends on the location.
  5. Some people think warm water is safer and you don't need any safety equipment. It's not. It's just warmer.
  6. All you can really expect from a dive op is that they'll get you to the dive site and then bring you back to shore. In reality, they can't always do the second part, so you need to be able to "get found" if you find the boat sinking down below you on your safety stop. I've been stranded twice. Once the boat actually sank and once the captain took off to do a set of OW checkout dives while we were under.
flots.

It's important to debunk any preconceived notions that dive ops have early and quite clearly. It seems to me that the surprised look by the dive op at the end of your dives is nothing but him covering his butt with plausible deniability. I'm sure that you were clear when you said "NO!", but it always makes sense to get them to repeat your intents to you.

I agree, what a great write up! It sounds like a very cool place to dive, and you make some great points about the possible risk of divers who assume someone will be guiding them.

I still dive with strangers, but after an experience that started as similar to yours, but ended much worse, I now actively explain to anyone diving with me that I am not their guide, and I am very cautious about even being a buddy unless I know the diver well.

The Scubaboard poster who changed my mind about that is very vocal about her skill, certification and qualification levels. She tells people that she is an active rescue diver with a police and fire department dive team. She arranged a dive at a favourite local site of mine, and never let on that she was a flailing ball of panic waiting to happen.

I should have picked up on it when this active rescue diver told me in no uncertain terms, as I was preparing to enter the water myself, that she possesses a disability that meant I was obligated to carry her gear to the water. Once there, she took over 20 minutes to be prepared to submerge. Once submerged, in 10 feet of crystal clear, warm water, this cold water fire department rescue diver suffered a panic attack in under 1 minute, leading me to surface and go through the tried but true rescue procedures, inflating her BC, and guiding her from behind to a pillar where she could hold on as she calmed down slightly.

I managed to hand off my camera to another diver and slowly drag her back to shore. She still actively tells people she is involved in recovering bodies. Thankfully, my certification and qualification levels enabled me to perform a successful rescue and keep her from drowning that day. Her next victim might not be so well prepared, and I shudder to think of the consequences as she continues to mislead people into thinking she is a competent diver.

She managed to completely change my mindset on guiding divers in a matter of seconds, and ever since I have been much more alert to signs of panic in divers...and to the fact that you have to always watch out, not to necessarily shift the liability, but to decrease the risk by keeping people out of the water until they are under the proper supervision.

It's important to debunk any preconceived notions that dive ops have early and quite clearly. It seems to me that the surprised look by the dive op at the end of your dives is nothing but him covering his butt with plausible deniability. I'm sure that you were clear when you said "NO!", but it always makes sense to get them to repeat your intents to you.

The Dive Op owner rarely goes on the boat, and he was not on it when one of the customers asked me if I was leading the dive. Perhaps he told the Turkish couple that I would be leading the dive or something along these lines that could have got lost in translation between a native Arabic speaker talking in English to native Turkish speakers.

I used to see lots of misunderstandings between my Filipino staff talking with my Indian staff in a previous job, sometimes almost ending up in fights, although most of the time it was usually very funny ... well from my perspective.

Question: did you talk to Hassan to let him know this is not ok?

Did not come into our conversation, he did not ask me before the dive and his only comment after the dive was "how were the Russians?" nothing more. I really don't know exactly what he told the Turkish divers or the Russians as I was not present when he spoke with them, but they all appeared happy at the end of the dives, none of them were complaining apart from the one lady about the cold.

As I mentioned before I am no more than a paying customer, Hassan used to have a DM but she has returned to the Philippines.

As far as I know all other dive ops here in UAE have DMs / Instructors on their boats, this one is the exception.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom