A tank for non-breating air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why did it fail vis? How did it past hydro without passing vis? The vis is explicitly part of the hydro procedure.
The "visual inspections" that are part of the hydro are typically WAY short of what a complete visual would accomplish. I've watched at my primary hydro shop and it seemed to me to be charitably characterized as "cursory". It is kind of in league with a doctor saying "turn your head and cough" as opposed to having labwork and maybe an ultrasound of problem spots done (looking in kidneys for naissant stones for me) as part of a physical exam.

They know how to do hydros. Appears less so visuals. My opinion: likely that they could not tell you what the standards are or where to go look up the standards. They simply look in the tank to see if there are any lobsters living in there. OK - they seem to be looking for big chunks of the bottle material eaten away by active oxidation. Which is a long way from a good visual inspection.

The shop gave me zero paperwork when I picked the tank up. Nothing, not even a receipt for my payment. There was a sticky note on the tank which said "Condemned. Rusty" but the shop guy took it off and kept it. I was NOT impressed at all and will never return there. This was the second tank that they checked for me. The first one did not pass anything because they didn't do any tests! I was told that it had rust on the exterior of the tank near the top so it was condemned without opening it up. No paperwork or receipt of any kind for that one either. I knew that one was slightly rusty patches on on the exterior but does that alone disqualify it? The second tank looks very nice with no rust or dings on the exterior anyplace. I really expected that one to pass.
There are no standards to which shops have to comply to complete a viz and stickerate a tank. In my experience, some shops have no more business conducting visual inspections than I would delivering a baby by cesarian section. They simply don't know what they don't know. But Jim Bob taught John Boy who taught Bubba who told Dewayne who discussed it with LeeRoy who is now doing visuals at your shop: "Can you see the tank? That's your visual inspection. Sell 'em a sticker." or "Hot damn, Boy! There's a paint scratch! Condemn the tank and sell 'em a new one!"

You could bring it to me and I'd inspectigate it properly for you.

He did say steel 72 so that rules bad alloy out. My guess is, "old tank, he should buy a new one"
Heard that a lot - even from people that I expected to know better.

There are no standards to which shops have to comply to complete a viz and stickerate a tank. In my experience, some shops have no more business conducting visual inspections than I would delivering a baby by cesarian section. They simply don't know what they don't know. But Jim Bob taught John Boy who taught Bubba who told Dewayne who discussed it with LeeRoy who is now doing visuals at your shop: "Can you see the tank? That's your visual inspection. Sell 'em a sticker." or "Hot damn, Boy! There's a paint scratch! Condemn the tank and sell 'em a new one!"

You could bring it to me and I'd inspectigate it properly for you.
Yes.

Years ago I brought my tanks with brand new inspection stickers in for fills. The guy doing the filling looked at the stickers suspiciously and asked (with a clearly accusatory tone), "Who inspected this?"

I said, "I did."

He started to say he could not accept it, but I pointed out that the PSI-PCI stickers had my official, certified inspector number on it. "Who is PSI-PCI?" he asked. I explained, and he finally agreed to fill the tank.

If the sticker had instead indicated it had been inspected by Joe's Scuba Shop in Bayonne, New Jersey, he would have accepted it without question, even though Joes Scuba Shop is not required by any law to have any official training whatsoever for its inspections.

The "visual inspections" that are part of the hydro are typically WAY short of what a complete visual would accomplish. I've watched at my primary hydro shop and it seemed to me to be charitably characterized as "cursory". It is kind of in league with a doctor saying "turn your head and cough" as opposed to having labwork and maybe an ultrasound of problem spots done (looking in kidneys for naissant stones for me) as part of a physical exam.

They know how to do hydros. Appears less so visuals. My opinion: likely that they could not tell you what the standards are or where to go look up the standards. They simply look in the tank to see if there are any lobsters living in there. OK - they seem to be looking for big chunks of the bottle material eaten away by active oxidation. Which is a long way from a good visual inspection.
That's one possibility. The other is the dive shop are idiots and rejecting a perfectly good tank because "reasons". Of course there's also the chance that the tank is actually on the fence with a questionable pit or something and there's a legit difference of opinion between 2 qualified inspectors because it really is borderline.

I asked a simple question: "How to designate a tank as non breathing gas only". Obviously, you are unable to answer that question. However, instead of just passing the post by you have to attempt to stir up crap. Why? It seems to me that you are the one with questionable character. You have nothing of substance or intelligence to offer, you insult people and you try to stir up crap. That makes you a troll. So whatever you want to "get on with", just do it and shut up.
The hydro and vis are to ensure that the tank is safe to be pressurized. Whether the gas is breathable or not is irrelevant. It's not safe to fill right now. Find out why the shop failed the vis and report back to us.

The hydro and vis are to ensure that the tank is safe to be pressurized. Whether the gas is breathable or not is irrelevant. It's not safe to fill right now. Find out why the shop failed the vis and report back to us.
He doesn't appear to want to know why it failed viz. He just wants to fill it anyway.

Why does this all seem so odd?

If the sticker had instead indicated it had been inspected by Joe's Scuba Shop in Bayonne, New Jersey, he would have accepted it without question, even though Joes Scuba Shop is not required by any law to have any official training whatsoever for its inspections.
Actually, per OSHA, the handling of hazardous materials (vessel with >29 psig) requires training, satisfied by the visual inspection certification (at least mine does)...

Operating a full station, filling tanks, even handling them as an employee has requirements falling under the OSHA umbrella...

It's all cool until there is an incident...

Back
Top Bottom