A720 discontinued...still buy it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No reason given for its removal but I know it gets great reviews?

What does everyone vote?

DC'ed, really??.....it has not been out that long..What are they replacing it with???.Someone said a couple weeks ago you could still find some A570's & they were DC'ed long before the 720..I'd check with amazon on both...

My mom has one and its a great camera for both the button pusher and the pro photog.

It goes thru AA's in about 300 shots (less with flash) and the flash recharge time is ~8sec regardless of how it is set lol.

Excellent IQ at 80 and 100 ISO. 90% at ISO200. Beyond that you have to be right on with your exposure or it gets super grainy. It has a relatively large lens, giving it that good IQ.

Good zoom, good IS.

The back screen is about half sharp if that makes sense. They didn't go with the dense pixel screen on these.

I have an SD870. Sometimes I long for those full manual controls though lol.

B&H Photo Crutchfield, Walmart all have this camera listed as DC.

I'm assuming there replacing w/the 1000 and 2000. I emailed canon about the 1000 UW housing and said they had no plans in work, or saw any designs for a housing for the 1000 either.

B&H Photo Crutchfield, Walmart all have this camera listed as DC.

I'm assuming there replacing w/the 1000 and 2000. I emailed canon about the 1000 UW housing and said they had no plans in work, or saw any designs for a housing for the 1000 either.

Here you go(click below link)..looked it up & still available??.I'd get this camera & Canon UW case---see my sig--- in a heartbeat(probably for under $300 shipped to your door)....btw, I did not do an Amazon search for the UW housing but bet it's still available.......

EDIT: UW case is still available?--just checked.....click 2nd link....yep both to your door(free shipping & no tax) for ~$293 US.....grab one QUICK.......IMO

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A570IS 7.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-WP-DC12...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225841822&sr=8-1

Cameras get "discontinued" all the time...sometimes after only a few months. Canon just released yet another group of new models ... no huge changes in most of them.

If it does what you want it to do, there is a housing readily available and you can get it for a good price, go for it. It's a nice unit.

Cameras get "discontinued" all the time...sometimes after only a few months. Canon just released yet another group of new models ... no huge changes in most of them.

If it does what you want it to do, there is a housing readily available and you can get it for a good price, go for it. It's a nice unit.

Hi there again---long time no talk to....alcina, what do you think Canon's going to eventually replace these(570-720's) with???..ie what #'s to start thinking of???......btw, am going to the G10 after Christmas---@ least that's what my wife tells me, lol.....

All your Canon compact questions, not related to water, answered here :)

The G10 looks like a nice camera. Be sure to read the Ikelite threads re the new housing for it if you are thinking of adding wet mate lenses!

Unless I did it wrong, the new A1000 and A2000 doesn't have full manual modes when I fiddled around with them in the best buy down the street. And it's not possible to add cheap add-on lens converters on them.

So it appears the G10 and A590 (are the 600 series DC'd as well?) are the only canon PnS with manual modes now.

So it appears the G10 and A590 (are the 600 series DC'd as well?) are the only canon PnS with manual modes now.

And neither of these models allow you to add wet lenses (actually, I don't know if they're even offering a housing for the A590 are they? And does it have those bloody oval ports?). I can't see a good answer to underwater photography at all in Canon's new compact camera line up.

Ryan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom