Abalone opener dive and barbeque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a reminder,
our dive and barbecue is happening this Sunday 4/1 at Fisk Mill Cove in Sonoma County.
Fisk Mill is about 20 miles north of Jenner and is at the north end of Salt Point State Park.

We will be meeting there at 8:00 AM and will be tank and/or ab freediving then after the diving we'll have a great big barbecue with tri tips and baby back ribs cooked on a mesquite charcoal barbecue.
This picnic is being sponsored by the North Coast Divers. and is open to enyone that wants to show up. If you want to ab dive don't forget your license/punch card, your ab iron, and your regulation 7" guage.

See everyone there!

Eric

Many of the North Coast Divers will be camping at Gerstle Cove all weekend too.

Hi Eric,

Is there good Kayak access at Fisk Mill? I am trying to decide if I'm going to Ft. Ross, Gerstle, or up to Fisk with you guys. I haven't been to Fisk so I'm thinking I might not bring the yak if there is limited/difficult access there.

Thanks!!

Brian

ZKY:
Just a reminder,
our dive and barbecue is happening this Sunday 4/1 at Fisk Mill Cove in Sonoma County.
Fisk Mill is about 20 miles north of Jenner and is at the north end of Salt Point State Park.

We will be meeting there at 8:00 AM and will be tank and/or ab freediving then after the diving we'll have a great big barbecue with tri tips and baby back ribs cooked on a mesquite charcoal barbecue.
This picnic is being sponsored by the North Coast Divers. and is open to enyone that wants to show up. If you want to ab dive don't forget your license/punch card, your ab iron, and your regulation 7" guage.

See everyone there!

Eric

BrianM:
Hi Eric,

Is there good Kayak access at Fisk Mill? I am trying to decide if I'm going to Ft. Ross, Gerstle, or up to Fisk with you guys. I haven't been to Fisk so I'm thinking I might not bring the yak if there is limited/difficult access there.

Thanks!!

Brian
Fisk Mill is not a good kayak spot. The trail is long and there is a semi steep rock slab to climb down to get to the cove. There can be a bit of a break right at the entrance to the little lagoon or cove because of some underwater reefs right at the entrance,
but the small cove is a nice protected place to put your gear on and get in the water. Once you round the corner to get out of the cove and into open ocean the oncoming sea can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. There are several rocks that you have to belly over with surf crashing over you to get out. This can get worse when the tide is low. But then I've been there when it was flat calm and a breeze to do a few shore dives. The underwater structure is as good as it get's on the north coast at this spot, that's why I like it.
I haven't checked the tides to see what it's going to be yet. I hope it will be high enough to make a pleasant entry.
I would classify this spot as intermediate on a good day to advanced on a marginal day.
I think this spot is better left to regular shore diving.

The North Coast Divers are having an ab season opener dive and barbecue.
Sunday April 1st 2007
Fisk Mill Cove, Sonoma County, California.

---Hey all,
I couldn't get into www.northcoastdivers.org or .net, and met Chris C at Gerstle yesterday. Anyone know how to reach Chris? Chris, it was good to meet you, and I did forget to put my biz card on your car. It would be great to get together with you folks and ab dive, especially mid week. While getting computer changes done, best to call me at 707-829-0776.
Thanks and best wishes!
Peter Wolf

peterthewolf:
The North Coast Divers are having an ab season opener dive and barbecue.
Sunday April 1st 2007
Fisk Mill Cove, Sonoma County, California.

---Hey all,
I couldn't get into www.northcoastdivers.org or .net, and met Chris C at Gerstle yesterday. Anyone know how to reach Chris? Chris, it was good to meet you, and I did forget to put my biz card on your car. It would be great to get together with you folks and ab dive, especially mid week. While getting computer changes done, best to call me at 707-829-0776.
Thanks and best wishes!
Peter Wolf

Hi Peter,

Sorry you didn't make it for the BBQ. I checked our site and it is working, so it must have been a glitch when you tried. Go ahead and try it now. You should be able to post a message for him there.

The swell was mostly wind chop, as it was pretty windy, and underwater almost no surge. The vis was about 10 feet. We were laughing saying not bad, then remembering the days of 25 foot vis there...some days are better than others. The water was super cold though. My computer read 48 and others read 46-50 degrees. Brrrrr Most of us wound up throwing on a couple extra pounds to gain some loft in our drysuits.

Peter Wolf, it is Peter_C not Chris :) and if you PM ZKY above, he is the one that makes the plates. http://pacificcoastmarine.net/

Peter, my computer said 46 and haven't seen it below 48 before. That was the best 10 foot vis I've seen thought it was a little better than that. I gotta look into some dry gloves and one of those otter bay hoods. Great diving with you guys and my buddy Denise who by the way was diving in a wetsuit, what a trooper! Also had a lot of fun at the BBQ at Fisk Mill, I think we made a good choice diving at Gerstle.

Back
Top Bottom