About to purchase a BP/wing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i got the 36# wing. when not fully inflated i doubt that it causes more drag than the 27 because of the bellow design. and when it is fully inflated it is probably for a reason i.e. because you need the extra lift.

get a weight belt and nothing more expensive before you know how much weight you need. most likely you will need much less than you think. as mentioned before the wing/bp setup requires less anyway. i used 8 pounds with my old bc and a 3mm. with the ss backplate i don't need any additional weight and could drop another couple of pounds except that i would have to cut a chunk of steel out. secondly, with only 5 dives you will be dropping weight as you become more experienced anyway. i started out with 12 pounds and dropped 4 pounds as i became more experienced.

i travel a lot and do not regret getting the ss version. the difference to aluminum is 4 pounds. that does not make or break my baggage allowance and i love being able to drop the weight from my hips.

fredt does sell the bp plus harness incl. all the hardware. check out

http://www.aulinc.com/Shopping Cart/enter_main.htm

finally, if you buy that much expensive gear from your lds they should exchange the standard hose for whatever length you would like. however, with an apex you ought to get an adapter so that a standard hose diameter fits instead of the larger 1/2" apex. the 1/2" hose in 7 feet is quite stiff and uncomfortable compared to the standard 3/8".

docmartin once bubbled...
i however, with an apex you ought to get an adapter so that a standard hose diameter fits instead of the larger 1/2" apex. the 1/2" hose in 7 feet is quite stiff and uncomfortable compared to the standard 3/8".

I use the 1/2" fittings/hoses on my Apeks 200 and the hose is not any stiffer that the 3/8" size, in fact, it is the same diameter. The difference is in the size of the opening on the fitting that screws into the first stage, and the oversized port on the first stage, not the hose itself. 5th D has good quality hoses in either size fitting.

docmartin once bubbled...
i got the 36# wing. when not fully inflated i doubt that it causes more drag than the 27 because of the bellow design. and when it is fully inflated it is probably for a reason i.e. because you need the extra lift.

So would the 36 lb be a reasonable size wing? I know you don't know me or the type of diving I'll be doing, although I would like to go technical, at least doing deep trimix dives, and getting into diving professionally, so I wonder if the 36 lb would be good for when my requirements expand while not being overkill for now. I'm planning to order gear from Extreme Exposure (or have my LDS order it) soon and to try out the gear over the Fourth of July weekend and still take advantage of EE's 30 day guarantee (though I doubt I'll need to make use of it), while still getting a discount (hopefully) by buying my gear through my LDS. :)

fredt does sell the bp plus harness incl. all the hardware.

Great. I would like to order everything from one place. I was going to write to Fred to ask if he sells everything. Since I don't know what all I need, I trust him to provide his advice

finally, if you buy that much expensive gear from your lds they should exchange the standard hose for whatever length you would like. however, with an apex you ought to get an adapter so that a standard hose diameter fits instead of the larger 1/2" apex. the 1/2" hose in 7 feet is quite stiff and uncomfortable compared to the standard 3/8".

I'm thinking about changing my choice of regulator to a Scubapro MK25/S600T, or maybe one slightly less expensive. I'm sure that if I'm spending that kind of money, my LDS will be more than willing to substitute the 7 ft hose.

Thanks for all the advice, to you and everyone else. I'm hoping to get my order submitted to FredT, hopefully thru my LDS, within a week. I'll let you guys (and gals) know how it goes if I can dive it on the Fourth. I'm sure I'm going to love the wing (I'm already a pilot and love the wings I fly!)

Mark

So would the 36 lb be a reasonable size wing? I know you don't know me or the type of diving I'll be doing, although I would like to go technical, at least doing deep trimix dives, and getting into diving professionally, so I wonder if the 36 lb would be good for when my requirements expand while not being overkill for now.

The 36 is fine for singles, and I think it's a better choice than the 27 if your diving cold water.

IF you get into technical diving, it will likely be a fair way down the road and the cost of an extra wing is minimal compared to the other costs involved (doubles, trimix fills etc etc.) so I wouldn't really worry about it too much when thinking about what gear you want now.

mth71 once bubbled...
I've been looking at the Extreme Exposure site, as that's probably where I'll buy the wing, but I'll be getting a FredT backplate (but I have no idea if I should get a heavy SS plate or the aluminum).
Mark

FredT rules! If you have questions ask Fred.

For drysuit diving with double 104s (fresh water -- my Florida cave setup) I use a FredT AL backplate with a six pounds on a weight belt. I nose dive no matter what if I wear a SS backplate with the 104s (people always told me I had a thick skull). I hope I can solve this problem eventually, but for the time being I need some weight a bit more south. I'm an exception. I use a 45 pound lift wing, and this is on the hairy edge in terms of required lift. A 55 would probably be better.

For my Henderson 7/5 wetsuit and double AL80s (fresh water -- my Mexico cave setup) I use a halcyon SS BP backplate with nothing else. I still use my 45 wing -- this is perfect.

For salt water, using a Henderson 3/2 or 7/5 I use a FredT heavy BP and my 18 pound lift wing (my Cozumel/Hawaii setup). The 18 is a VERY narrow application wing. Works great in this case and no where else.

There's a few datapoints for you.

Roak

A 36lb. wing will allow you to do some cold water diving (this is what bwerb & I use & we drysuit dive in 40 - 60 degree water), but shouldn't be too large for what you are doing now. As ERP said, you will have to change a couple things when you get into tech. diving but that should be a while away. At that point you will most likely be using doubles, which requires a different wing anyway. However, that is the beauty of the BP/wings - you only have to buy one new part - the wing!

I'm sure you will be happy with your selection of BP/wing. Our thoughts were similar to yours & we bought a tech BC to start & are now trying to sell them after only a dozen dives on them! Anyone know someone who wants to buy a very slightly used Raider?? :D

roakey once bubbled...

There's a few datapoints for you.

Roak

Now you're speaking my language! I'm an engineer, so I love analyzing data! Well, not really, but at least I know how to.

It seems that *most* people who are diving a BP are going with the SS, and the heavy one at that. I'd sure hate to get something that's too heavy and sink to the bottom. Although, with -11 lbs of bouyancy and a 36 lb wing, I'll probably be fine (I didn't mention type of exposure suit yet because I'm not sure what I will need, but I definitely want to do dry-suit diving).

Thanks, Roakey.

Mark

The first thing to do to determine what plate you'll want is to determine your buoyancy "nut." This is what positive or negative buoyancy it takes when added to "just you" in your snorkeling gear to get you neutral in fresh or salt water. If you know one you can figure the other easily enough. Then you start adding the gear one part at a time while dealing with the natural buoyancy of that piece of gear. By careful selection of your gear you should need no weight belt in warm water, and minimal weights on the belt in colder water with dry or wet exposure suits.

I saved a letter I wrote to another member of the board on how to do the buoyancy calcs. If you PM me with an e-mail address and I'll forward it in pdf format to you, along with plate details. Way back in the dark ages this information was in the "scuba diver" course. It hasn't been formalized in most courses since the "scuba diver" course was split into OW, AOW and Rescue.

There are limited places to get my gear other than direct through me. Covici.com has the full line available, AUL carries the hardware and stainless steel versions of the plates, but not the Aluminum versions. AUL does not cary the custom weights at this time but may in the future. If you want to route the purchase through yor LDS be sure to provide them with my contact information.

FT

I dive in the Great Lakes & quarries when I can't get to the warmer climes. I have a 27# Halcyon and it isn't enuf for cold water, unless you can get away without a 7mm wetsuit or no underwear under a shell drysuit in 30-40 degree water. 8)

Get the 36#. I dive with some guys who have 'em and I'd trade in a heartbeat. As it is I have to use my DiveRite Rec wing when it gets cold and heavy out.

JF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom