Absolute "Minimalist" Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been a good three or four years since we've had a minimalist thread, so for the sake of the many new people to the board I figured maybe it was time to re introduce the concept.
Some may be completely unaware that such a practice even exists, either back then or now.
Just like certain churches and societies burned books to remove any trace of a historical past, I'm surprised someone from the "New School of Poodle Fluff" hasn't collected and burned all the left over copies of "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving"!
All kidding aside, what's old is new again. There are more and more people enjoying the thrills of minimalism and thanks to the internet the word is spreading.

Why would they remove this thread??

What was the gear configuration on the very first dives on the Andria Doria? Anybody?

They won't get all of them....2 editions are above my keyboard...and 1 of Roberts "Basic Scuba".

I suppose I do semi-minimalist diving. I do it because it's fun, because it feels good. Just a tank, regulator, plastic back pack, mask, flippers, weight belt, skin, using all the skills I developed decades ago. I do use an SPG because I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm diving for simple streamlined unfettered enjoyment. If I use a j valve I use it in the manner it was designed to be used, they way I used it 40 years ago. Activating rod up until some breathing restriction is felt, then down with the rod to release the remaining 500 lbs. and make my exit in a slow, relaxed manner. I was never one to take unnecessary chances while diving. I limit my minimalist dives to about 50 feet.

All my minimalist dives are solo. They always were for me, starting half a century ago. I prefer solo diving, solo hiking, solo fly fishing. All pages from the same book. Solitude in this noisy intrusive repulsively connected world can be glorious. I do minimalist diving as a natural obvious way to pursue the sheer joy of being free beneath the sea, that pure living dream.

Hate to break the news to you but the OP as written does not include you.

I see no mention of using gear appropriate to a dive. I see no mention of a computer to track NDLs on a deeper dive. I see no mention of tracking your remaining air on a deeper dive where, for example, there there may be currents or other task loading. I see no mention of restricting this practice to shallow dives. I see no mention of having any way other than an air share to help a buddy or other diver. All I see is jumping/walking into the ocean with a tank, mask, and fins and a dive plan to return you to the start with 0 psi left in the tank.

Appropriate by whose definition? Minimalist divers do not use the same rig for all diving. The equipment needs varies per the dive and the diver's capabilities.

Most technical diving does not use a computer even now. A computer is not required for safe diving. Tables work just fine as does V planner etc. Most diving really until quite recently was done with tables, depth gauge, watch/bottom timer. The use of the SPG was not common really until about the mid 70s. The J reserve and pre-dive planning, as we were taught, works just fine. I realize divers today are not taught how to plan dives based on air consumption but we were. As well, BCs were not used routinely either until the mid 70s and a BC is not safety equipment, nor is it a life jacket, it is simply what it is, a buoyancy compensator. A "safety stop" is not a required stop. I will not argue that it is not a good practice but it is not required. A 60 fpm ascent under no deco conditions is adequate. The octopus regulator was not common until the early 80s and we were taught buddy breathing instead. It works well for people who were trained in the old ways of diving. For those of us who solo, there is no need for an air share second. If redundancy were required I would choose independent doubles or a pony per the dive requirements as I see them.

March into the sea with just a tank and a regulator, J reserve, knife, mask fins, gage/watch, yes, why, is that a problem? Been doing it for some 40 plus years.

voit.jpg

N

I see no mention of using gear appropriate to a dive.
Uh, that's the whole point of this discussion. I see the gear I choose for a dive perfectly appropriate for my chosen dive.

I see no mention of a computer to track NDLs on a deeper dive.
Because a depth gauge/timer with tables work just fine, or a modern bottom timer w/ tables/ or a computer.
But time and depth need to be payed attention to. If someone can do that with a computer then knock yourself out.
Problem is computers have a way of making people zero in on NDL while they also look at SPG. They can lose track of actual depth and time.

I see no mention of tracking your remaining air on a deeper dive where, for example, there there may be currents or other task loading.
Pay attention, that's what they used to do and no reason it can't be done now.

I see no mention of restricting this practice to shallow dives.
That's the whole point of a discussion, and you never asked.
I dive to about 40 to 60 feet diving minimalist. If I didn't have to wear a thick wetsuit I would consider a deeper dive.

I see no mention of having any way other than an air share to help a buddy or other diver.
Practice makes perfect. I was trained to buddy breathe and if I ever have a buddy they will have to know how to do it.
Most of the time I dive solo so it doesn't matter.

All I see is jumping/walking into the ocean with a tank, mask, and fins and a dive plan to return you to the start with 0 psi left in the tank.
And how wonderfull it is. Actually I do have air left over. By the time I get back to shore or end my dive I always have about 200 to 300 psi left. My J valve goes off at about 400 psi and I know I have a few minutes left. But when this happens it is no surprise, I 'm expecting it. I have been keeping track of time and depth and I'm ending my dive just about the time my reg starts to breath a little hard. I'm not against SPG's, I use one. I have several tanks without J's. None of my new HP tanks have J's. I could use them without an SPG if I wanted and I sometimes do.
If I use my DA Aquamaster there is no way to use an SPG.

Some people never would have made it in the old days.
I would have thrived. Unfortunately I was born 20 years too late.

The last dive I did in my "old" rig -- my 1980's vintage gear -- was in 2009 or so in the Coronado Islands.

Dacor 960XLE regulator with SPG, no alternate air. Hard plastic backpack with 2" webbing and steel 72 tank. 1/4" neoprene drysuit. 18 pound weight belt. Seiko automatic watch, compass, depth gauge and Navy Tables. 18 pounds on a webbing weight belt with old-school "quick release" wire buckle.

That's as minimal as I get in cold water.

I bet there are plenty of vintage dive fanatics who are pretty spartan when they go old school.

Eric,

Good time to post this thread. I've been thinking about minimalist gear configuration as well. I like the fancy doodads (titanium this and OLED that) just fine, and they make for cool conversations, but how do they actually improve one's diving?

I dive a balanced rig as it is and my freediving skills are getting better with more practice. I really have to question why do I need or even want a BC.

I know what my air consumption rates are based on active diving or easy diving. I know how my gears perform, I keep them well maintained. I know California water pretty well now. So, yes, right now I'm contemplating shedding a lot of these extraneous "safety" items. Gives me more opportunity to break out the Rolex Seadweller and use it. Besides, chicks dig it. Hehe.

A definition of what minimal is seems to be what we are missing. For me, it's using the least amount of gear needed to safely do a dive and leaving the unneeded items on shore. It does not mean you can only have X,Y and Z but rather you don't take A, B or C when there is no need for them....a can light on a shallow reef dive during the day for example. Nor does it mean you can’t use something for convenience…most of the time I don’t bother with a watch or computer when quarry diving, there is just no need since I don’t go below 35 ft and at those depths NDLs are not an issue but there are times I need to know what time it is so I will strap on a computer just to use as a watch. Maybe comfort and convenience needs to the added to the definition.

Just for grins, how about this for discussion, which if more minimal, a computer or it's counter parts, a watch, a depth gauge and a set of tables? ....looks like 3 to 1 to with the computer winning to me. :). There is a difference in minimal and vintage, I dive both.

I usually dive with the minimum amount of gear needed for the dive conditions I am operating in. This is different every time but usually done on shallow shore dives where I have an understanding of the area. I do have a couple of tanks with J valves but use a SPG because if the valve gets bumped down you have no way of knowing until you need it and it is not there. When I started I was 13 and could not afford a SPG so I did use a J valve back then and was very familiar with the feel of my reg when the air was starting to get low. A rule of thumb at the time was if you were diving in less then 60' of water on a 72 cu/ft tank you did not have to worry about the NDLs because you would run out of air before you could stay long enough to exceed them. When I got into deeper dives I did have a watch, depth gauge and the NDLs written on the arm of my wetsuit. Most of my minimalist dives are done with a tank, reg with one 2nd stage and SPG. As most of these are shallow shore dives I also use a 30 cu/ft tank on a commercial diving harness so the profile is as low as I can get.

IMG_1505.jpg

When I kayak dive in shallow water I do not wear the tank, I leave it in the kayak that I am towing behind me and breath off a small umbilical I made for this purpose. In this case knowing the feel of your air getting low is critical but you do have more time to react as the volume of air in the 50' hose gives you a few more breaths. This type of dive is done in 30' of water or less.

IMG_0545.jpg

I also still dive some of my old equipment and in the case of the regs I see no real difference between them and newer regs.

IMG_1954.jpgIMG_1955.jpgIMG_1250.jpgIMG_1246.jpg

About the only time I have used less equipment has been in warm water when I am doing a shallow water recon of a remote area diving out of a kayak. The less weight you have in a kayak on a long distance paddle the better. I would use full foot fins, mask, snorkel, 13 cu/ft tank, no wetsuit, small weight belt and a reg with one 2nd stage and SPG.

An old school rule and something I still do to this day was you never got in the water without a snorkel or knife. These were your most important safety items at the time. The only other safety item available at the time was a military surplus inflatable vest like the snorkel vests used today but I could not afford that either at the time.

Hate to break the news to you but the OP as written does not include you.

I see no mention of using gear appropriate to a dive. I see no mention of a computer to track NDLs on a deeper dive. I see no mention of tracking your remaining air on a deeper dive where, for example, there there may be currents or other task loading. I see no mention of restricting this practice to shallow dives. I see no mention of having any way other than an air share to help a buddy or other diver. All I see is jumping/walking into the ocean with a tank, mask, and fins and a dive plan to return you to the start with 0 psi left in the tank.

I determine what is appropriate for the dive, not some agency or other divers opinions.

I use the least I can for the task.BP/W 18# bladder,reg,spg,computer as I do extreme repetition,mask,fins,gloves,wetsuit and of course speargun.These are my tools,it is my job.I don't skimp,I just "minimalize'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom