Absolute "Minimalist" Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing we did back then was buddy breathing off of the same second stage as we did not have an octo either. Each diver would take a hold of the others harness with one hand and both put the other hand on the second stage to pass it back and forth. I do not know if they still teach new divers how to do that anymore.

Another thing we did back then was buddy breathing off of the same second stage as we did not have an octo either. Each diver would take a hold of the others harness with one hand and both put the other hand on the second stage to pass it back and forth. I do not know if they still teach new divers how to do that anymore.
The way I was taught to buddy breathe was the OOA diver came up to you face to face and gave you the OOA sign (Flat hand slice motion accross throat).
You grabbed your second stage by the hose connection with your palm in facing you (in) and took it out and turned it to the OOA diver and fed it to them. It was two breaths then switch, two breaths then switch, and so on. The donor had a grip on the OOA either by the chest strap or anywhere you could grab on and kept control. The donor never lets go of the reg either, they set the tempo of the buddy breathe.
This skill has to be practiced if you are to be any good at it. It's not something you can just think about in theory and do if and when the time comes.
It's also a great skill just to practice as a confidence builder and a skill builder even if you never intend to ever buddy breathe in real life and choose to stick to a safe second. That's why I'm sorry to see it get dumped from the PADI program because it helped with everything from staying calm to making reg clearing and switching a breeze.

With double hose buddy breathing I was taught to get the diver even closer up in your mug, then when you gave the OOA diver the mouthpiece you turned it upside down 180 so water wouldn't run in, then held it over to them to take two breaths.

Then with buddy breathing there is no dilly dallying, you get your butts to the surface asap. If you're good enough and calm enough then I suppose you could do a safety stop, but that would be super training.

The reason they had us both put our hands on the reg was so each could feel when the other needed to have it come their way.

Eric,

Good time to post this thread. I've been thinking about minimalist gear configuration as well. I like the fancy doodads (titanium this and OLED that) just fine, and they make for cool conversations, but how do they actually improve one's diving?

I dive a balanced rig as it is and my freediving skills are getting better with more practice. I really have to question why do I need or even want a BC.

I know what my air consumption rates are based on active diving or easy diving. I know how my gears perform, I keep them well maintained. I know California water pretty well now. So, yes, right now I'm contemplating shedding a lot of these extraneous "safety" items. Gives me more opportunity to break out the Rolex Seadweller and use it. Besides, chicks dig it. Hehe.
Check these guys out.
http://diver.net/backpack_divers/

This would be a great club for you to look into. I was a satelite member for a few years back in the mid 2000's.
Many of those guys and gals dive minimal with no BC's in cold water with 7 mil suits I might add.
For bug diving this is a far superior method because of the speed and manueverablity.
They go out to many of the best advanced spots.
Any of those guys could help you get started with minimalist diving.
The other one is Douglas Dive Club. They are also based out of Socal. They are a bunch of Back Packing nuts too and they even come up my way once a year and camp out freedivng for abalone up in Mendocino County....Loads of fun and a great group of people.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 12:01 PM ----------

The reason they had us both put our hands on the reg was so each could feel when the other needed to have it come their way.
That makes sense.
One thing my instructor stressed was not to let two breaths grow to three breaths grow to four breaths and so on. Pretty soon one or both divers gets starved out and it spirals out of control with one diver not wanting to give up the reg.
Practice practice practice.

A definition of what minimal is seems to be what we are missing. For me, it's using the least amount of gear needed to safely do a dive and leaving the unneeded items on shore. It does not mean you can only have X,Y and Z but rather you don't take A, B or C when there is no need for them....a can light on a shallow reef dive during the day for example. Nor does it mean you can’t use something for convenience…most of the time I don’t bother with a watch or computer when quarry diving, there is just no need since I don’t go below 35 ft and at those depths NDLs are not an issue but there are times I need to know what time it is so I will strap on a computer just to use as a watch. Maybe comfort and convenience needs to the added to the definition.

Just for grins, how about this for discussion, which if more minimal, a computer or it's counter parts, a watch, a depth gauge and a set of tables? ....looks like 3 to 1 to with the computer winning to me. :). There is a difference in minimal and vintage, I dive both.

Minimalist SCUBA diving is not necessarily "old school" or vintage. Yes, it draws upon techniques used in earlier SCUBA diving but my new VDH universal mini-plate or Freedom Plate, aluminum 63 and a Titan LX is not vintage and yet is a fine ultra minimal rig for certain diving adventures.

I agree with Herman, minimalism, again is not a single bare bones rig as I just described. The minimal amount of equipment matches what is needed for a particular dive. Herman gave an excellent example, a computer can and may be more minimals than a watch, gauge. The tables, they are in my head. I plan my dive ahead of time, particularly as it gets deeper (below 30ish feet). I dive my plan and I can run tables in my head. I do not need to carry them with me. Some of us can get into deco even at shallower depths on a single 72/80. Herman is one of them as his SAC rate is on par with a decomposing body.

Minimalist SCUBA is here to stay. It has always been and it is growing. It fits in well with "Maker" movements and anti-consumerism, simplification lifestyle movements. It is not advanced, it is basic. It was asked in one of the threads that was removed last week if an instructor could teach basic SCUBA to basic level divers---the answer is yes. There is no reason that an ABC agency could not have a Minimalist or Simple SCUBA course just as, like, well, now they have Solo courses and there have even been a few Vintage courses. Even Padi is throwing in the towel on the snorkel and I remember when back inflate BCs (aka wings) were generally forbidden because they float a diver face down.

And I can tell you one thing, there is no better way to learn "Peak Buoyancy" skills than simple, minimalist SCUBA diving. It is not an advanced level technique, it is a CORE basic technique that should be part of every Basic level SCUBA course. So should figuring tables, calculating air consumption and the whole rest of what used to be taught to basic level students.

I am minimalist here, I have a buddy (my wife) so I have a regulator for air sharing, I am multi day diving so I am up with the computer. We are drift diving and there is current, a sausage and spool is smart. Minimalism is not one specific rig, therein lies the confusion, it is a philosophy applied to SCUBA, not a specific set of gear (or exclusion of) as in the DIR world:

IMG_2865-1.jpg

N

Charlie Carroll at Huntington Sport and Scuba still teaches buddy breathing. My wife and sons were taught how to buddy breathe during their training.

Minimalist SCUBA diving is not necessarily "old school" or vintage. Yes, it draws upon techniques used in earlier SCUBA diving but my new VDH universal mini-plate or Freedom Plate, aluminum 63 and a Titan LX is not vintage and yet is a fine ultra minimal rig for certain diving adventures.

I agree with Herman, minimalism, again is not a single bare bones rig as I just described. The minimal amount of equipment matches what is needed for a particular dive. Herman gave an excellent example, a computer can and may be more minimals than a watch, gauge. The tables, they are in my head. I plan my dive ahead of time, particularly as it gets deeper (below 30ish feet). I dive my plan and I can run tables in my head. I do not need to carry them with me. Some of us can get into deco even at shallower depths on a single 72/80. Herman is one of them as his SAC rate is on par with a decomposing body.

Minimalist SCUBA is here to stay. It has always been and it is growing. It fits in well with "Maker" movements and anti-consumerism, simplification lifestyle movements. It is not advanced, it is basic. It was asked in one of the threads that was removed last week if an instructor could teach basic SCUBA to basic level divers---the answer is yes. There is no reason that an ABC agency could not have a Minimalist or Simple SCUBA course just as, like, well, now they have Solo courses and there have even been a few Vintage courses. Even Padi is throwing in the towel on the snorkel and I remember when back inflate BCs (aka wings) were generally forbidden because they float a diver face down.

And I can tell you one thing, there is no better way to learn "Peak Buoyancy" skills than simple, minimalist SCUBA diving. It is not an advanced level technique, it is a CORE basic technique that should be part of every Basic level SCUBA course. So should figuring tables, calculating air consumption and the whole rest of what used to be taught to basic level students.

I am minimalist here, I have a buddy (my wife) so I have a regulator for air sharing, I am multi day diving so I am up with the computer. We are drift diving and there is current, a sausage and spool is smart. Minimalism is not one specific rig, therein lies the confusion, it is a philosophy applied to SCUBA, not a specific set of gear (or exclusion of) as in the DIR world:

N
Very well put on all points.

To reinforce the meaning of "Minimalism".
The minimalist movement is a sort of counter culture reaction to the growing amount of gear used by todays divers at a suffocating level.
Most of the gear used as a "standard" by todays definition is convenience gear and as such just becomes clutter and in my estimation just makes things more complicated and un-fun. There is more to manage, more to remeber to bring, more to clean, more to maintain, and more to push through the water. The gear has become so overwhelming that new fins even needed to be invented to be able to make moving your feet easier because of the excesses of fabric, pockets, hoses, air wings, dangling objects, etc. and the resulting drag created by all this "stuff

Just look back in time and you will see that divers of the past did all the same dives people are doing today, the same depths, the same locations.
I look at the gear they used and see there was hardly anything to it. What a concept, less is more, and it works!
Less to buy, less to clean, less to maintain, less to drag around and carry down to the beach.

Minimalism is a dynamic concept. There are no hard and fast rules or standard gear choices.
Yes, a computer is less than having a watch & depth gauge, 2 : 1.
Tables in the head will always be there, rule of 120, pretty freakin' easy. Most of the time I never even get close to NDL's on a shore dive, it's air supply that determines the length of the dive.
Minimalism is the idea that you don't have to bring everything on every dive just because someone told you you are not a certain way or are violating a certain protocol if you don't.
You have the freedom to choose as little as you want to free yourself up of unneeded gear.
I personally have explored the extremes of minimalism as an excercise and to push my personal envelope.
I considered everything I was doing and accepted the risks, and had a plan to abort if necessary.

A 1968 maximalist diver back in the day would be a minimalist diver today. Substitute the regulator of your choice.

mmadere_zps6733921b.jpg

I LOL'ed when Steve called you a troll Eric. That was a total funny from the straight guy. I might have to add a troll sticker to my contour BP!

I like this idea, min, especially the pic above that captain posted. That said, I think this kind of stuff you can only do in bath water - once you get wet-suited, it all just seem to snowball from there, it would seem.
Still, I'd sure like to try it in the right location, esp when spearfishing....

@ Nemrod - point of order please. PADI has not ditched the snorkel. In fact, new training rules, they've gone hard over the other way - paraphrasing "when on the surface, your reg or your snorkel in your mouth - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. BS when youre on the boat, not in the water". Just taught it this morning infact...

These guys are the real deal. Some of them appear to have consoles, but it looks like they are all buddy breathers. No alternate regs. Nice to see only two hoses coming from the first stage.

I suppose that in a known spot/known depth and knowing ahead of time you'll run out of gas before NDL, you could also do without any console or depth/time device(s).

If you prefer J valve over SPG, you could dive no gauges at all. That wouldn't be my idea of fun, though. It goes a bit too far, like when my flight instructor put his clipboard over all the gauges on downwind and told me to land the damn thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom