Accepting Responsibility for Your Own Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, for one, teach my students to become negative when attempting to surface a diver -- not to be neutral -- and use the victim's wing to bring both to the surface while maintaining a safe ascent rate by venting as appropriate. .

That is buoyancy control. Limiting the term to "the ability to maintain depth" is kinda... strange.

Buoyancy control is the ability to use buoyancy to a desired end. Maintaining a desired depth may be one goal, but getting to it in a specific way (eg not too fast and not to slow) is another

BTW, I still contend that being able to maintain one's bouyancy control (i.e., maintaining your place in the water column) has very little, if anything, to do with a Rescue Class. I, for one, teach my students to become negative when attempting to surface a diver -- not to be neutral -- and use the victim's wing to bring both to the surface while maintaining a safe ascent rate by venting as appropriate. The only time I can think of that maintaining one's bouyancy control is necessary is during an air share and even then I'm not looking for Tech level of control.[/QUOTE]

Peter,
I have followed a lot of your posts and have a lot of respect for your positions on a lot of issues. I totally agree that what you don't use, you loose. It is also true that a lot of divers are vacation divers. I guess the part of this whole thread (not just your post) that really bothers me is how anyone with poor skills as demonstrated in parts of this thread could pass the Rescue course to start with? I just wonder if the standards have been so relaxed in some places that students are being passed that should not be? I know personally that my instructor (who is also a good friend) worked by butt off and drilled me until I had it right! I climbed up and down the stairs to Devils Den three times in one day when I was certifying ( thought i was going to die carrying a steel 120) To me, anyone who is Rescue certified should not have issues with simple skills that should have been mastered at the OW and AOW level. One of the best things I believe I got from the rescue class was a greater situational awareness.

To me, anyone who is Rescue certified should not have issues with simple skills that should have been mastered at the OW and AOW level.

I don't think I had *anything* mastered after OW. That's the problem.

I'm training to become a DM because I WANT to help divers. Actually, I've always liked the buddy aspect of diving and wanted to help other divers during OW classes. Becoming a DM is just a means to ensure that I'm competent to help another diver.

I've learned that a DM can be tour guide, a safety assistant, and a teacher to limited extents. Nobody should expect a DM to be a "dive caddy".

As for safety, on a boat a DM is there to set the hook, count people off the boat, and back on. Maybe they are are also performing services as a rescue swimmer.

If you are paying a DM for a tour, you are paying them for their specific knowledge of the dive site. There is a safety component to that, but it relates to the location- Swell, Current, thermo/holocline, underdog, venomous animals and such.

If you are paying a DM for a refresher course, the DM is there to review skills you are already familiar with in a safe way. But they still aren't a dive caddy. When they remind you to check your remaining gas, thank them as a good dive buddy. When they show you how to replace a mask underwater, thank them as a DM.

I'll have to pull out the DM manual again. Good topic.

As for safety, on a boat a DM is there to set the hook, count people off the boat, and back on. Maybe they are are also performing services as a rescue swimmer.

You are describing the way DMs work in your neck of the woods.

Around the world the role of the DM varies dramatically from location to location. I have seen everything from DMs completely controlling every possible aspect of the dive to DMs barely acknowledging your existence. In each case, it was the norm for that location.

...Around the world the role of the DM varies dramatically from location to location...

People sure do seem to have a problem comprehending this.

I'm training to become a DM because I WANT to help divers. Actually, I've always liked the buddy aspect of diving and wanted to help other divers during OW classes. Becoming a DM is just a means to ensure that I'm competent to help another diver.

I've learned that a DM can be tour guide, a safety assistant, and a teacher to limited extents. Nobody should expect a DM to be a "dive caddy".

If you are paying a DM for a tour, you are paying them for their specific knowledge of the dive site. There is a safety component to that, but it relates to the location- Swell, Current, thermo/holocline, underdog, venomous animals and such.

If you are paying a DM for a refresher course, the DM is there to review skills you are already familiar with in a safe way. But they still aren't a dive caddy. When they remind you to check your remaining gas, thank them as a good dive buddy. When they show you how to replace a mask underwater, thank them as a DM.

I'll have to pull out the DM manual again. Good topic.

holoclines and underdogs were one of my key issues when I was a DM.

Call me old fashioned but if a diver has that range of cards, they should be competent and confident in the water and able to dive without a DM. The exception would be if the diver is in a new location and using the DM as a guide, not a crutch. Personally if someone with a rescue card feels they need a DM with them to dive safely, then that cert should not have been granted in the first place.
And let's remember, in many locals, the "DM" is really only a guide. Not a retained DM to ensure a diver's safety.

And let's remember, in many locals, the "DM" is really only a guide. Not a retained DM to ensure a diver's safety.

But what does this really mean? (I really don't know.)

A couple of years ago a dive boat in Southern California had a member of the crew who was by certification a DM, but he had not renewed his insurance for several years and so was not "officially" a DM. When a diver started to struggle while on the surface, this employee went to his assistance. To be brief, he totally botched the assistance (got the diver to remove the BCD before the weight belt), and the diver drowned. In the aftermath, the diver's family sued both the boat operator and the unofficial DM (I don't know what to call him). He committed suicide.

I honestly have no idea what the legal ramifications are in this situation. If the person is a dive guide without DM certification and without the DM-required liability insurance, what will that person's expected role be in the case of a situation that might normally lead to a DM-assisted rescue?

Last edited:
But what does this really mean? (I really don't know.)

A couple of years ago a dive boat in Southern California has a member of the crew who was by certification a DM, but he had not renewed his insurance for several years and so was not "officially" a DM. When a diver started to struggle while on the surface, this employee went to his assistance. To be brief, he totally botched the assistance (got the diver to remove the BCD before the weight belt), and the diver drowned. In the aftermath, the diver's family sued both the boat operator and the unofficial DM (I don't know what to call him). He committed suicide.

I honestly have no idea what the legal ramifications are in this situation. If the person is a dive guide without DM certification and without the DM-required liability insurance, what will that person's expected role be in the case of a situation that might normally lead to a DM-assisted rescue?

This type of situation has been sitting at the back of my mind for this entire thread. Do you WANT a DM that you don't know from Adam to be "liable" for YOU? I sure don't!!! I want to have the necessary skills to take care of myself and my buddy (who just happens to be my buddy for every dive in my life less 3). I don't want to be in charge of anyone else aside from my buddy (and don't feel I should have to be) and don't want anyone else (again, less buddy) to be responsible for me. That's why we are trying to get out and practice in the dark, cold lakes of WI in the summer on a regular basis so when I do get to a beautiful reef I don't have to worry about these things. I'll be diving again this weekend and practicing things like bouyancy, mask removal and clearing and navigation...AGAIN!

OK, I can breathe now (it's been a bad day).

Back
Top Bottom