Accident at Dutch Springs 9/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They wrote a story almost entirely about embolisms, and then mentioned briefly at the bottom that it was yet to be determined whether the victim had embolized. Is that sufficiently sensationalist for you?

I trust nothing I read on that website.

most unfortunate and sad incident.
hopefully all of us can gain something
positive to minimize the chances
of such a thing reoccurring again

A lot of people, some with not much diving experience, are looking at this event to try to learn enough to prevent it from happening again. Since I have no first-hand information about this "accident," I hesitate to say much except some obvious points. I ask that others not speculate, based upon not much information. Here are a couple of my thoughts:

--From what I've read, there are varying accounts of whether the victim became separated from her scuba/BCD/weights before the accident, and that precipitated it, or during the recovery phase. My thoughts are that we should remember that the way today's scuba systems are set up, it is hazardous to become separated from them underwater, especially at night, with limited visibility. We used to practice "doff and don" drills in a pool, and sometimes in open water. But that was before dry suits, before BCDs, and integrated weights. I don't think this is good for divers using today's systems, unless the diver is very advanced, has a separate weight belt, and is very, very comfortable in the water.

--Speaking of being comfortable in the water, it is not a good idea to ever "push the limits." If someone is apprehensive about a dive, that person should never be goaded into making the dive. If you don't agree, read The Last Dive , by Bernie Chowdhury. If that doesn't convince you, you shouldn't be diving.

--A lot has been said here about diving these springs in a wet suit. A very good-fitting wet suit, without leaky seams, will do well even at 80 feet in even cold water. But, many of today's wet suit do not meet that spec. The gear needs to be appropriate to the diving environment.

--Combining deep and night diving for a diver new to those specialties is not a good idea, regardless of other considerations. Do one or the other for the first several dives, until quite comfortable in these environments, then combine them.

Well, my wife will be home soon, and I need to complete the vacuuming of the house. If something else comes to my mind, I'll write about it.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom