Accident at Vortex Springs 8-20-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there other possibilities?

Yes.

Guys, I know this story sounds really bizarre so far. A diver missing since Wed, isn't noticed til Friday. Body unable to be located by several search teams. Indications that an untrained diver has made it to a part of the cave that some very good divers are having difficulty with.

But please keep in mind that these searchers are using caution and judgment on where they are searching, which a panicked diver with no training and determined to get out would not have had.

I have every indication that there is a lot more information on specific details, we're just waiting for those involved to tell their part.

I'm going to put this out there, and perhaps I should not but at this point I'm wondering.........Is there anything more than speculation that the feller is even in the cave? For all we know, he could be in Mexico.

Ken

Yes.

Guys, I know this story sounds really bizarre so far. A diver missing since Wed, isn't noticed til Friday. Body unable to be located by several search teams. Indications that an untrained diver has made it to a part of the cave that some very good divers are having difficulty with.

But please keep in mind that these searchers are using caution and judgment on where they are searching, which a panicked diver with no training and determined to get out would not have had.

I have every indication that there is a lot more information on specific details, we're just waiting for those involved to tell their part.

I guess another option is he got turned around and in an attempt to get out, got into incredibly tighter and smaller restrictions in a failed attempt to get out?

I guess another option is he got turned around and in an attempt to get out, got into incredibly tighter and smaller restrictions in a failed attempt to get out?

That is a possibility. Diveaholic has already indicated that the line was broken. I'm not familiar with that section of the cave, but it's possible that someone could find themselves in an area where they can't turn around or figure out how to back out so they continue to press forward hoping it leads them out. That's purely speculation on my part.

If such a scenario indeed played out, I can imagine the recovery team being reluctant to press into the narrower areas.

I'm going to put this out there, and perhaps I should not but at this point I'm wondering.........Is there anything more than speculation that the feller is even in the cave? For all we know, he could be in Mexico.

Ken

I thought the same thing but if that was known they would not be risking the lives of all the S&R divers....or at least I would certainly hope not.

I know where you're coming from and have a pretty good idea what information you've heard that makes you say this. I only ask that we wait for word from those directly involved before using terms like criminal actions. This is only going to serve to inflame comments until everything comes to light.

Understood, I have no intention of posting second hand info (heresay) on the forum, so all I can do is react at this point. Even my wife is pissed at me for letting it upset me this much. It's not the death that bothers me, it's the fact that I know that cave and how hard/dangerous it's going to be for the recovery team to get him out. We've got some wonderful, kind hearted individuals down there risking their lives needlessly and that really gets to me.

Ken

We could only hope he got a sudden urge to go to Mexico. But the news reports indicate that his car and other personal effects were left on site and a deco bottle was reported in the cave itself. If he took off suddenly for parts unknown, he left quite a bit behind in his haste.

I queried whether the spring run has been checked in the event that the flow might have carried the diver out before teams began their search, but have no idea if that was done or not.

I think when the facts, ALL the facts, come to light it will be obvious that this guy's actions could have been just one more chapter in Sheck's book of what not to do. My hope and prayer is that his body is recovered quickly so that the family has some closure, and so the recovery teams don't have to continue putting themselves in danger.

The guys recovery diving and the support personnel have my utmost thanks and respect.

That is a possibility. Diveaholic has already indicated that the line was broken. I'm not familiar with that section of the cave, but it's possible that someone could find themselves in an area where they can't turn around or figure out how to back out so they continue to press forward hoping it leads them out. That's purely speculation on my part.

If such a scenario indeed played out, I can imagine the recovery team being reluctant to press into the narrower areas.

It's a super low, silt/clay area in the beginning and continues to get smaller as you get back to the no mount area. The clay is very easy to stir up so I wouldn't recommend going back there when divers are in the basin or cavern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom