Accidental Tank Overfill - Should I be worried

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have stated the cylinder has suffered no harm. Even after an hour that gas was still quite warm inside the cylinder. If allowed to cool is would have dropped a few hundred PSI on it's own. I dive mostly HP steels and am grateful for an occasional 3800 PSI warm fill.

Diving with that fill may have stressed a yoke regulator connection so bleeding it down some was probably prudent.

Pete

Kinda funny, I was filling a tank for a friend last week. At 4000psi I asked "how much do you want in these?" He didn't finish getting the sentence out "put whatever you fills yours to" when the burst disk gave way.

Newb... needed a real burst disk :D

Catalina here I come. Thanks again for the knowlege from experience.

I don't run my compressor over 3500psi but I did fill a pair of steel 72s (rated for 2250) to 3500 the other day by mistake. Since I only use those tanks for running my booster it seemed like a good time to top off some O2 bottles.

I just drained off a couple tanks myself. I have low pressure steel tanks with standard burst disks. While I appreciate a good fill as much as the next guy I absolutely do not want my psi within 10% below the burst disk rating of any of my tanks. I have read where a burst disk will fail as early as 10% below its' rating. I don't worry as much about the effect of the extra psi on the tank but the increase in psi that may already be close to the burst disk doing its' job.

Back
Top Bottom