Accomodation in Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dora1900

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings divers. I need some advice on accommodation. I’m about to book a week in Sipadans in early October on my own. I’ve narrowed it down to two places based on price, location and reviews: Borneo Divers or Seaventures. While the rig looks interesting I also like the idea of being on an island and being able to walk around, trees, beach etc. But the main factor for me is I will be travelling alone so I’d like to stay somewhere which attracts other single travellers. (I will be opting for twin sharing at any rate). Can anyone give any advice?

I've stayed with Seaventures twice and loved it. It's a lot of fun living on a converted rig, especially being lowered down on the outside elevator to get into dive boats or dive the "house reef" directly below the rig. Food and dive operation is quite good, rooms nothing luxurious but ok, whole place has free wifi. I've gone there twice on my own and while I wouldn't necessarily say it specifically attracts other single divers, I've always met lots of other people and had a great time. Now that I've found it I'm sure it will remain my first choice whenever I go back. Also have never had any problems with Sipadan permits, and actually both times there was the opportunity to go more times that I anticipated. I can't speak for Borneo Divers, but have stayed on Mabul (SMART)..it's not as if there's a whole lot to do on the tiny island of Mabul, and I want to say (but not 100% sure) that Seaventures can run people over if they want to spend some time on the island (its very close)

Great thanks for that ocdiver! I will take that on board (pun intended). :-D

If you've been on a liveaboard before then think of the oil rig as a stationary one. It's perfect for for 4 or 5 days but if you intend to stay for a week then you maybe better off choosing one of the Mabul island resorts. As has already mentioned above there is little to do on the island but at least you can go for a walk and drop into the bar or restaurant at other resorts. Having said that the dive site under the rig is fantastic and searching for all the critters there is very addictive.

Just back from my trip so thought I’d share my two cents worth to help others. In the end I chose Borneo Divers. Great choice! Whilst I can’t fairly comment on the others, we passed the rig several times and I was glad I wasn’t staying there. Whilst it looks interesting and is a fine example of recycling (and has good reviews), the island and the resort are so nice to come back to after a day’s diving. Nothing beats sitting by the pool in the garden having a beer with dive buddies, walking barefoot in the sand and sunsets from the jetty. I can’t fault Borneo Divers for anything. The service is great. The food was nice (if too much!). The cottages are cute. When I asked to change rooms they were accommodating. I took the share option but after day two had no one in my room and there was no extra charge. They even checked up on me when I wasn’t feeling well one day - twice! As a solo traveller I also met lots of other travellers. The dive operation seemed so well organised and I noticed they were one of two companies who did four Sipidan dives instead of three. Some of the dive buddies were a bit complacent, others were really informative, depends who you got, all were rather pleasant. Their equipment was in good condition (I had a new-ish suit). Whilst there I took a walk around the island and saw the other resorts. I still thought Borneo was one of the nicer places in its price range. I was rather saddened by all the rubbish in the water but apart from that... I’d recommend Borneo Divers which I booked through Asia Diving Vacations - Alice and Serena were great to deal with. And for the hell of it my favourite dive site was The Drop Off with the little turtle cave. Barracuda Point is also pretty special. Happy diving!

Last edited:
Yep fraid so. Around the island. From the villages. A lot of people report this. Not so much when you get out further though :D

Just back from my trip so thought I’d share my two cents worth to help others. In the end I chose Borneo Divers. Great choice! ............ I took the share option but after day two had no one in my room and there was no extra charge........

Walking ard in bare foot s lovely :blinking:

Great knowing that there is this share option by Borneo Divers.. It's now on my list :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom