Ack terrible diving weekend:(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jut,

I haven't been in a great mood the last 2 days so I volunteer to fly to England and smack this instructor guy around for you. It'll make me feel better and hopefully give him an attitude adjustment at the same time. How much is a flight over there from Florida?

Seriously though I don't think I can afford the flight, so I think you should report this idiot. Let us know how it works out.

Jut

I teach for a Uni Club in Hull. I know that their constitution states categorically that any incident is to be reported. That means any incident!

I would be very suprised to find that your Uni constitution does not contain something along the same lines.

It is not just a means to embarassing this idiot of an instructor, nor is it a means of getting back at anyone. The University, and BSAC, require all such incidents to be reported as a matter of standard.

Could be why he was running around trying to limit the damage later on!!

Talk to your Diving Officer and let him/her know that if no action is taken then you will be forced to go directly to the Area Coach.

Best wishes.

I agree with everyone about reporting the instructor and all that, but let me just throw out a tidbit that I was taught in my OW class that might serve you well in the future:

NEVER gear up before the DM (or instructor) does likewise. For me this means I have my rig assembled and handy, my suit mostly on and ready to go so when the people I'm diving with look like they're serious about getting in the water I'm ready to go, but I don't zip up until the person leading the dive does. I'm pretty quick with the finishing touches and I'm ready. Obviously if I'm sent into the water with a buddy, that's different, but it prevents you (and me) from being ready too early. Dive gear is really only comfortable in the water.

I'm glad you're ok and I hope you find a group to dive with that actually wants to dive. :)

Rachel

I'd agree with that statement on a regular diving day, but as somebody who's assisted in several OW classes, it's often the case that it's the instructor or DM that's waiting around for the students. :eek:ut:

With that said, I think it's also important to realize that just because this person is an instructor, they don't own you. If you're all geared up and the heat is really bothering you, get in the water and cool down! You don't have to be on scuba, so no worries that you might get yourself into any trouble on scuba when the instructor's not there to supervise.

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...

I have one buddy that was cleared for diving by his doctor, but after diving with a diving doctor, she flipped and told him that the meds he was taking could induce O2 toxicity when diving to a PO2 greater than 1.2 (90' on EAN 32).:wacko:

While I agree a second opinion would be good, I do have to chuckle and wonder about this story a little.

Was the doctor buddy a doctor who specialized in diving medicine or was she a know it all diver ( like we all can be ) who happened to have the Dr. to back it up?

No offense intended, its just there are so many kinds of Doctors ... so much specialization one person can't know it all.

Chris

Hi Jut,

Sorry that you had such a miserable diving weekend.
Out of curiosity are you in Cardiff Uni by any chance? If so I know a couple of the BSAC instructors there and am very surprised by this as the two I know are among the most responsible divers and instructors I know :wacko:
Still I guess there is always one (esp. in the club I am with)
Anyway if you are in Cardiff would you be interested in staying with PADI or would did you have a specific reason for going with BSAC?

nope not cardiff uni, i'm way down at the lowest point of hampshire.
I'm not entirly happy with having to stick with PADI as i feel BSAC is more suited to cold water diving so i will have a ganders and see if there are any other clubs nearby

Fair enough, thought I'd ask since you said you were diving in Wales :wink:

I am in Uni in Wales and I have am a member of a PADI club. As a club it is quite basic and can be a bit pretentious at times but it provides me with the opportunity to meet other divers and also gives me access to the pool on a regular basis if I want to try kit or just get wet. There are a lot of people there that I wouldn't dive with but I have met quite a number of people that I would and do dive with. In fact there is a group of us from the club going away for the weekend this weekend, a mixed group of divers of all levels for AOW to Instructor but every one gets on well and can have a laugh together and most of our diving is cold water diving so I wouldn't necessarily rule out joining up with a PADI club where you are as you'll will more than likely find some like minded people within the club who are more than willing to dive your type of dive :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom