Adapting Nikonos 105SB Strobe for Olympus C-750

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have an Olympus C-750 digital camera and Ikelite housing.
After taking many shots this season it is apparent that I need a strobe. I know Ikelite has a digital strobe for these cameras, but I am short of $ right now, and was wondering if it's possilbe to adapt another stobe for use with my c-750.
My camera has a hot shoe for connection through the housing to an external strobe. I have aquired a Nikonos 105SB strobe and wonder if it's possible to adapt it for use with my C-750?

Mike D

I recievd a quote from Ikelite today $100 US for a sync cable

So it would appear it can be done.

Mike D

Mike,

Manual strobe control?

b

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/camolychart.html says non-digital Ikelite SubStrobes can be used, but operate only as manual strobes. Button at bottom of that URL for "Attaching Non Ikelite Strobes" shows sync cord required for other make strobes, but these strobes will also only operate as manual. The beauty of the housing is providing real Olympus TTL from the camera hot shoe with Ikelite digital DS-50 and DS-125 SubStrobes.............

Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated

Mike D

ike:
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/camolychart.html says non-digital Ikelite SubStrobes can be used, but operate only as manual strobes. Button at bottom of that URL for "Attaching Non Ikelite Strobes" shows sync cord required for other make strobes, but these strobes will also only operate as manual. The beauty of the housing is providing real Olympus TTL from the camera hot shoe with Ikelite digital DS-50 and DS-125 SubStrobes.............

You can make the connection to the strobe with the cord mentioned, but you are limited to manual strobe control. Thus you may have to experiment a bit with each shot to get the right exposure. A lot of folks do this, so with experience and luck it can work. I realize this is out of your budget now, just get the specified cord and have fun.

In the future you may find it less frustrating to use the digital strobes Ike mentioned, and let the camera smarts control the exposure.

Got an email from my local DS, my sync cable has arrived.
Now , just have to find an inexpensive strobe arm.

And I though diving was expensive HA!

Mike D

Success! It works.
I want to share this with others incase you're trying something similar
I had some difficulty with sync because the preflash of the C750 triggers the strobe.
The Olympus C750 does not have a pre-flash cancel option.
After some discussions with experts (see below) we got the strobe working "in MANUAL" mode, which is what I set out to do.
There are 4 contacts on the Ikelite plug going into the camera hot-shoe.
I covered 2 contacts to the rear, leaving only trigger and ground contacts exposed.
The flash fires correctly now in-sync with the shutter.

Special thanks goes out to Ike,(Iklelite.com) bobf,(Digitaldiver.net) and Ryan Canon (ReefPhoto.com) for their help in figuring this out.
I can do mechanical stuff, I'm a real duffas with electronics.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Mike D

i

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom