Adderall and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently asked this question to DAN and Joel Dovenbarger kindly replied. I'm reprinting this for info purposes only and did not ask permission. I however feel this is a general enough answer and I don't want to mess it up by trying to paraphrase his response.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general there are no human trails regarding the use of any of the ADHD medications while scuba diving.

This is not an uncommon question and DAN gets many inquiries concerning Adult ADHD and diving.

What we know is the physiology of diving and that of the medications. So the question is do they get along well together. Both medication and nitrogen have a known effect on the central nervous system. Nitrogen at high partial pressure tends to sedative or depressing effect on higher brain functions. Amphetamines and related compounds have a global stimulation effect on the brain that helps you focus but can also upset your time and space orientation. Can these two sets of side effects interact?

While no one can say for sure, there is very little to suggest that at shallow depths up to 40 or 50 feet of seawater there would be an interaction at all. Beyond 50 or 60 feet there could be a problem and the problem will vary from diver to diver and from day to day within the same diver. Factors such as level of hydration, amount of sleep and rest one gets, alcohol involvement, temperature and perhaps your level of stress may affect individual susceptibility.

Both nitrogen and amphetamines have the ability to disable or lessen different brain functions. Nitrogen at depth has a known, but difficult to measure effect on CNS function while in the water. So how deep can you dive and what can you expect to happen?

The answer is it may be different every day you dive, again, there are no studies. What effects might you experience? To date the most common side effect of any CNS medication and diving is largely anxiety and panic in an otherwise competent and able diver. Anxiety in diving relates to having an unexplained dread, something is about to happen or you feel out of control of your actions while underwater. Easily leads to panic, the next step in the chain of events. No one can predict in who or when this would happen. There are hundreds if not thousands of divers on some type of CNS medication and diving.

No one can give you the risk of occurrence to you personally. If you are going to dive start slow and conservative before getting too creative with your dive plan. Again, shallow dives, virtually no effect. Dive conservatively, make healthy choices about your activities and don’t do anything would endanger your dive buddy. Some dive resorts will not allow you to dive if you are on medications and don’t have a release from your personal physician. DAN can not give anyone a release to dive or prohibit them from diving so calling DAN from the islands will not help much. Resorts want a release of liability.

I hope this is helpful and informative, I did not read the Scuba Diving article. Thank you again for your membership.

Sincerely,

Joel Dovenbarger BSN

Medical Services

[/COLOR]

Having recently figured out that I have ADHD (largely through being educated with my daughter's diagnosis of the same), I had a long chat with my doctor about which meds to try, etc.
We specifically went with a stimulant med which I take as needed and don't take when diving. This was a topic of discussion with my doctor as to being able to not take meds when diving. We didnt try straterra for that reason since it requires being taken regularly.
While I realize that it may not work for everyone, I take the meds only when needed. Since diving engages me in great detail, I don't have ADD issues when dealing with dive-related tasks.
I guess my bottom line question is whether the OP's student can simply not take the Adderall when diving, thus alleviating the need for the potential risk?

Ok I am an adult diver with ADHD and I take Adderall XR daily. I have dove for several years with this medication and it has not had any adverse affect. That being said, I am currently researching the topic as it pertains to deep tech dives (since that is my preferred profile now). Any possible interaction with Nitrogen is not the major concern due to the use of trimix (Less Nitrogen and more Helium). However, my concern is whether the medication could make a person more susceptible to a CNS hit which is caused by high PO2 (partial pressure of Oxygen). Basically in simple terms, my understanding is that our system can only handle so much Oxygen and at deeper depths more Oxygen enters our system because it is more compressed. That is why there is a lower amount of oxygen in deeper diving gas mixes. It is possible to dive more conservative by lowering the Partial Pressure to 1.2 or something (although 1.4 is fairly conservative by itself). So far I have found that the greater concern with Adderall is not how it affects the brain but how it could cause dehydration and fatigue. This can affect the body's ability to convert oxygen into energy and may cause oxygen build-up. Needless to say there is much more to research before having any substantial answer on the subject. I would love to talk to any doctors out there that have any information on the matter and understand diving Physics (I know most Doctor know Physics but not sure how many of them think of it in the terms of deep diving). I believe most sports divers will not have an issue with Adderall and diving. PO2 and PN2 at 5ATA (1.05 for oxygen and 3.95 for nitrogen) or less is probably not high enough cause and serious problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom