Adjustment Knob on Aqualung Legend LX ACD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomgrogan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was checking my reg out before this weekend's dive trip & noticed that the adjustment knob on the 2nd. stage does not turn clockwise or counterclockwise. I am having trouble remembering whether the knob works under tank pressure only. The vane adjustment switch works fine. I would appreciate any help you can give me on this problem.

I was checking my reg out before this weekend's dive trip & noticed that the adjustment knob on the 2nd. stage does not turn clockwise or counterclockwise. I am having trouble remembering whether the knob works under tank pressure only. The vane adjustment switch works fine. I would appreciate any help you can give me on this problem.

It should turn rather easily.

Phil Ellis

I was certified last October mwith PADI OW. I had 6 dives in warm water under my belt with the deepest at 67 feet. This past Saturday I was on my deep dive for the PADI Advanced OW Certification in NH when I ran into a problem at 100 feet.

We had been at the bottom for around 30 seconds to a minute and everything was going fine when I started having a problem breathing. I couldn't get enough air out of my regulator to the point of eventually pretty much no air.

I did get the Divemaster's attention in time to get his octopus in my my mouth, but things went from bad to worse when as I moved forward to take his octopus, my weight belt slipped off and I lost his octopus with a mouth full of sea water and began to shoot up uncontrolled.

He managed to be able to grab me and both of us began to go up however more slowly yet still too fast. I did manage to get my original regulator back into my mouth and got enough air out of it to keep from blowing a lung. Although, I did end up with a pretty good headache for about 24 hours but thankfully that was it. It could have been much worse.

I finished the rest of the course Sunday (had to get back on the horse). I am wondering if anyone knows of a problem with the Aqualung Titan Regulator at greater depths. The dive shop is going to pull this one apart to see if there was anything mechanically wrong but I used it fine @ 20-40 foot depths on Sunday. Did notice on Sunday that the octopus was free flowing at greater depths. I'm looking for answers around more of a confidence thing. Thanks! djmccarthy

Should definitely turn easily without having it pressurized.

First of all, I'm glad that you came out of this scary situation OK. This is just the kind of incident that all divers should try to prepare for (mentally and physically) before it ever happens to them. I realize that you are posting this incident in the "Regulators" section, and I do believe that you had an equipment malfunction. The breathing adjustment knob on your Titan reg should turn freely whether it's hooked up to a tank and pressurized...or not. I hope that your LDS repair shop finds the problem and it gets fixed.

We had been at the bottom for around 30 seconds to a minute and everything was going fine when I started having a problem breathing. I couldn't get enough air out of my regulator to the point of eventually pretty much no air.

At this point, I'm curious where your buddy was? You really didn't mention what he/she was doing during the incident. Was he/she oblivious to what was going on? Was the buddy trying to help out? I guess these questions are moot if the DM was your designated buddy.

I did get the Divemaster's attention in time to get his octopus in my my mouth, but things went from bad to worse when as I moved forward to take his octopus, my weight belt slipped off and I lost his octopus with a mouth full of sea water and began to shoot up uncontrolled.

This situation sucks. This is one reason why many divers split up their weight if possible. Thus, when the weight belt is ditched, the diver won't rocket to the surface super-fast. I'm curious how much weight you were wearing on the belt. Since the dive site was in NH, I'm guessing you were wearing a 7mm wetsuit (or thicker) and probably weighted down with 15 - 25 lbs. of lead.

Although I have no hard evidence to back this up, you may have been overweighted. If this was the case, you would have had to add a lot of air into your BCD to remain neutral at depth. Upon losing your weight belt, this would have made you more prone to ascend quickly.

Since this incident occurred at the beginning of the dive, you should have had the weight of your nearly full tank (about 6 lbs.) to help you stay negative...so long as you dumped the air in your BCD. Were you able to dump some or all of the air in your BCD from one of your exhaust valves?

Another learning point is that, due to wetsuit compression at depth, the weight belt may get a little loose at depth. Feel free to do as others do -- tighten up the belt a little during your descent (or once you reach your max depth) to keep this from happening in the future.

He managed to be able to grab me and both of us began to go up however more slowly yet still too fast. I did manage to get my original regulator back into my mouth and got enough air out of it to keep from blowing a lung. Although, I did end up with a pretty good headache for about 24 hours but thankfully that was it. It could have been much worse.

I may be misreading your comment about "blowing a lung," but for the sake of clarification I'll make the following point: Lung overexpansion injury isn't prevented by getting enough air into your lungs. It's prevented by keeping your airway open, so that as you ascend and the air in your lungs expands, the expanded air can come out.

I finished the rest of the course Sunday (had to get back on the horse). I am wondering if anyone knows of a problem with the Aqualung Titan Regulator at greater depths. The dive shop is going to pull this one apart to see if there was anything mechanically wrong but I used it fine @ 20-40 foot depths on Sunday. Did notice on Sunday that the octopus was free flowing at greater depths. I'm looking for answers around more of a confidence thing. Thanks! djmccarthy

This is the first I have ever heard of a Titan reg having an issue at depth. I have used several Titan rental reg setups, and they have always been reliable breathers. I'm certain that your reg was malfunctioning.

I applaud your willingness to finish out the class. Good job. I hope that by looking at this incident and learning from it, you'll become a safer diver in the future.

Have fun and dive safe...

Thanks SlowRain & Ellis. I did think that it should turn easily too. I started soaking the Reg in luke warm water; it dissolved some salt or dislodged some sand around the interior surface of the knob & now the knob moves freely back and forth. I was surprized by the problem because I always rinse my reg, dry it off, & store it properly. I am going to be extra careful now.

Thanks SlowRain & Ellis. I did think that it should turn easily too. I started soaking the Reg in luke warm water; it dissolved some salt or dislodged some sand around the interior surface of the knob & now the knob moves freely back and forth. I was surprized by the problem because I always rinse my reg, dry it off, & store it properly. I am going to be extra careful now.

Hi Tom,

I see two words in your text that draw my attention each time this sort of problem comes up: RINSE and SOAK. There is a world of difference between the two. While on a multi-day diving vacation, it is usually ok to just rinse a regulator after each dive. When it is time to put your gear away, you must soak it then dry it properly before storing it.

I suspect this is what happened in your case and in many like it.

Sand gets into the knob mechanism on the Legend. My wife has the same regulator and she likes to drag it around in the sand which freezes the knob. I take it apart and clean it regularly. This is a weakness of this design in my opinion.

As to the Titan LX and depth and not getting any air and blowing lungs and all that, the rental or borrowed regulator or whatever it was is obviously not right since the Titan is one of the better regulators available.

N

Nemrod, I was curious about the part of your answer in which you take apart the adjustment knob on your wife's regulator and clean it regularly. Is it just a simple matter of removing the screw that holds the knob, pulling the knob off, and then wiping away what's underneath (sand) or are there miniscule parts that can lost or reinstalled incorrectly, etc.

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was that I tear the second stage down regularly, after a long trip or whenever she gets it drug through the sand. I am encouraging you to learn your own regulators but of course, no insult intended, if you were not born with the "tool" gift then leave it to the shop---lol---:wink:.

Here are two links, print them off and keep them on your work bench. You know, everybody here likes to brag about their divers logbook, well, do you keep an equipment maintenance logbook? I suppose if you have only a few pieces of equipment may be don't need to but I have tons of equipment between me and my wife and then there is the tractor and lawnmower and the cars and the boats and soon--well---I keep a logbook for each item or sometimes a group of items.

Aqualung Legend Second Stage Repair Manual - Page %CURPAGENUM% of %LASTPAGENUM%

Aqualung Legend First Stage Repair Manual- Page %CURPAGENUM% of %LASTPAGENUM%

A clean machine is a happy machine, clean does not infer an overhaul, it just means clean the machine so it and you will be happy.

N

Back
Top Bottom