Adventure vs Adv. Open Water PADI Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on the five specialties and what more that particular instructor will teach you for the subsequent dive. Again, if collecting cards is the goal, this is an easy way to do it. Beware the constant training trap. Fun dives should outnumber training dives 10 to 1, or even more.

So if a person took the Adventure Diver course and later wanted to take the AOW course, could you sort of "upgrade" and just complete two more adventure dives making sure that you have taken the deep and navigation as required, or would you take it as a totally new course and do 5 dives?

Yes, no problem. No time limit either.

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 03:42 PM ----------

Out of curiosity, what is the price difference between the two? I know different shops may charge different prices but just wondered in general.

How long is a piece of string?

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 03:44 PM ----------

Any other differences in price will have to do with charging more for the perceived added value of AOW over 5 adventure dives.

R..

Or the cost associated with the dives. Something require a boat will be more than something from shore, etc.

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 03:46 PM ----------

Since my first thoughts are not very flattering towards the instructor/LDS, could you give me a good reason why they would not teach AOW, but instead teach Adventure Diver and Rescue.

I can see offering both. I can't imagine a rationale for not offering AOW. Not sure what kind of shop doesn't offer what is essentially the "second semester" of scuba diving.

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 07:27 PM ----------

sf I'm on a say 7 night dive trip completing advanced open water, since we are doing half of 5 specialties is it normal/allowed to complete the other dive of each specialty and come out of it with AOW and 5 specialties complete?

Is it allowed? Yes.
Is it normal? No.

Last edited:
adam61, RJP spelled out the differences at the start. PADI changed it's rules in that you don't need AOW, only Advent. Diver & CPR as a prerequisite for Rescue Course (PADI also dropped the 20 dive prerequisite years ago). Actually, I don't disagree with either change, as I think everyone should have Rescue as soon as they are ready). So, if you get Advent. Diver instead of AOW some boats may let you dive to 100' and some may not. But if you take Rescue then DM, all boats let you dive anywhere. I would think not offering AOW and saying that the two are "basically the same" is a local thing with your instructor/shop. That's just what is done there.

Maybe only teaching 10yr Junior Divers for Jr. Adventure Diver; you need to be 12-14yr for Jr. AOW.
That has always been my thinking on Adventure Diver. Since 10-11 year olds cannot do the deep dive, this certification gave them the ability to go on and work on Rescue Diver. I had never heard of anyone else getting that certification. Actually, I have never heard of anyone getting that certification.

I did some additional research because I didn't realize this was such a big deal in the certification world, I'm just a new diver looking for some clarification. After speaking with the dive shop owner it seems due to the recent drought there are no sites where the deep diver requirement can be completed without about a 5 hour drive which drives up the expense and time required for AOW class significantly.

That is a significant problem where I work as well. We cannot do the deep dive locally. It makes doing AOW a really problem. We still do what we can, whether it is taking people on a 6 hour drive or doing it on a vacation trip.

But if you take Rescue then DM, all boats let you dive anywhere.

Think we'll take you out to the U-869 or the Doria because you flashed a DM card?

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom