Advice: Apeks or Zeagle BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BLD_THRST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning to go to a back inflate setup from my current jacket BC... the main problems which i find with my jacket now is that the front bladder somewhat limits my arm movement and when fully deflated underwater, it tends to float around my body...

I have been scouting around for the best setup and short listed to 2 options i.e. the Zeagle or an Apeks BP/W setup... both would roughly cost the same....

The reason I am inclined towards a BP/W instead of a normal back inflate BC is that the back inflate at the LDS here (Zeagle, Sea Quest, Oceanic, etc) cost a bit more (dont ask me why) than the BP/W... Also, I like the BP/W for the fact that its modular and i can upgrade parts of it at a later stage.... another thing is that the sizing is more flexible as i can jus adjust the nylon webbing....

Any advice? Apeks or Zeagle?

No particular advice, because I don't have first hand experience with both setup.
But I do have friends using both.

I believe both are good quality BC and it performs, the negative thing maybe is,
Zeagle has a very bulky shape esp when it's inflated, but it's not a problem if you are big built.
Apex, if you notice, the wing's material is thinner than others, it looks fragile/easily torn although I'm not sure, because something appearance doesn't always tell the real quality.
Again, I saw my friends using them and it's alright (btw, I don't know the latest model might be different).

Correct me if I'm wrong, Apex, its regulator is one of the best, but I think they are new player for BC, just launched not long ago.
Zeagle on the other hand is a reputable BC for a long time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Hope for more advice from the other SB'ers... :)

My preference is Oxycheq. They are durable and streamlined. There are also various sizes available to you. BTW, BP/Ws are usually less expensive than BCDs - less material expenses.

I just got my DSS single BP/W package, quality looks superb, and I do believe even pricewise it's competitive with Apeks or Zeagle.

I would stick to well known BP/W brands. I've seen the Apeks wing, nothing special, and the plate is just plain expensive (it does have the nice A logo engraved though). Can't comment on Zeagle, but their wings look a bit big...

From looking at the Apeks web page I would say that there isn't much difference. The plate seems to be cut a bit squarer than the Zeagle. For most brands, a plate is a plate.
I have been diving my Zeagle with doubles and so far so good. Enough accesories to do what you want with it.
As far as the bladder being bigger, the pictures of the Apeks rig seems like the bladder is huge.

I have the Zegale Brigade (which is a Ranger with a smaller bladder). I am very happy with this BC.

BLD_THRST:
...the back inflate at the LDS here... cost a bit more (dont ask me why) than the BP/W...

Um. Is it surprising that a standalone wing, a 15 dollar roll of nylon and a bent piece of metal with some holes in it costs less than a more difficult to manufacture all-in-one back inflate BC?

Back
Top Bottom