Advice impossible anxiety attacks during diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you TraceMalin, your post was really helpful. I have now been in touch with our local diving organisation and told them about my issue which they were more than happy to try and help with which in itself has given me confidence. I am really looking forward to it infact!

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:04 PM ----------

Panic attacks usually happen in situations where you know you really shouldn't have a panic attack, so if I am at the doctors or the gym where I know there are first aiders, I instantly feel reassured that if I had one they would be able to help me, which in turn means I won't suffer a panic attack. If on the other hand I was on a plane or a lift, or somewhere remote where there's no help then you start to think 'if I had a panic attack right now I would probably die...' etc which in turn makes everything worse. So as i know I cannot just swim to the top when scuba diving to get some air, my mind starts saying 'if you had a panic attack underwater it would be terrible' which i'm worried will bring on the symptoms and makes me feel anxious, so that is why I am nervous about having one - they arise when you least want them to!

Thank you very much for the advice I am now booked in for a refresher course at a local dive group which I am really looking forward to!

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:07 PM ----------

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the advice, you are absolutely spot on, it's the thought of having a panic attack that would bring one on and nothing else. On land I can control it by distracting myself and reassuring myself so I am just hoping I can do the same underwater. I have read that breathing and relaxtion exercises can really help so I will definitely do that. It is scary how the mind is so powerful!

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

Hi Mantra,

Thank you for such a lovely, kind and reassuring post, it is certainly good to know that it is more common than people think and there are ways around it. You are absolutely right, it is the thought of having anxiety that brings on anxiety - the mind is a scary and powerful thing! I have managed to control my attacks on land (!) by distracting myself which is what I hope to do under the water too. It's just that the consequences of having an attack under the water are so much worse than on land, which is what is giving me this pre-anxiety.

I have booked in with a local dive group for some sessions in the pool and i'm actually really excited about getting back into it, I just hope the positive feelings I have no will overcome the negative.

Thank you once again for your comments, even just talking about it instantly makes me feel better :)

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

Thank you Vincent, that's a really good idea actually as before I became a diver I often snorkelled and free dived which I really enjoyed so perhaps it's a good place to start, it might help me to control my heart rate too (wish I knew how the pros did it!).
Thanks again.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:19 PM ----------

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, I thought I had replied individually but now not so sure (i'm a bit of a newbie with all this!) so I will copy and paste what I had wrote to everyone, apologies if you've seen this before:-

Thank you TraceMalin, your post was really helpful. I have now been in touch with our local diving organisation and told them about my issue which they were more than happy to try and help with which in itself has given me confidence. I am really looking forward to it infact!

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:04 PM ----------

Thanks TSandM, Panic attacks usually happen in situations where you know you really shouldn't have a panic attack, so if I am at the doctors or the gym where I know there are first aiders, I instantly feel reassured that if I had one they would be able to help me, which in turn means I won't suffer a panic attack. If on the other hand I was on a plane or a lift, or somewhere remote where there's no help then you start to think 'if I had a panic attack right now I would probably die...' etc which in turn makes everything worse. So as i know I cannot just swim to the top when scuba diving to get some air, my mind starts saying 'if you had a panic attack underwater it would be terrible' which i'm worried will bring on the symptoms and makes me feel anxious, so that is why I am nervous about having one - they arise when you least want them to!

Thank you very much for the advice I am now booked in for a refresher course at a local dive group which I am really looking forward to!

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:07 PM ----------

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the advice, you are absolutely spot on, it's the thought of having a panic attack that would bring one on and nothing else. On land I can control it by distracting myself and reassuring myself so I am just hoping I can do the same underwater. I have read that breathing and relaxtion exercises can really help so I will definitely do that. It is scary how the mind is so powerful!

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

Hi Mantra,

Thank you for such a lovely, kind and reassuring post, it is certainly good to know that it is more common than people think and there are ways around it. You are absolutely right, it is the thought of having anxiety that brings on anxiety - the mind is a scary and powerful thing! I have managed to control my attacks on land (!) by distracting myself which is what I hope to do under the water too. It's just that the consequences of having an attack under the water are so much worse than on land, which is what is giving me this pre-anxiety.

I have booked in with a local dive group for some sessions in the pool and i'm actually really excited about getting back into it, I just hope the positive feelings I have no will overcome the negative.

Thank you once again for your comments, even just talking about it instantly makes me feel better
icosm14.gif

---------- Post added February 12th, 2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

Thank you Vincent, that's a really good idea actually as before I became a diver I often snorkelled and free dived which I really enjoyed so perhaps it's a good place to start, it might help me to control my heart rate too (wish I knew how the pros did it!).
Thanks again.

NOTE THIS INFO MIGHT NOT BE A GOOD IDEA FOR YOU!!!

I have a pretty decent anxiety disorder and take xanax for it. Probably a bad idea to make any sort of suggestion here but I take xanax above and under water. Note that it has no mental affects on me except for me being more relaxed. I certainly don't feel "high" in any meaning of the word. Do I need it underwater? No. Have I been startled by something I wasn't expecting to see out of the corner of my eye? YES. So if I take xanax underwater I feel A LOT safer. I know it would not have any affect on me knowing if I should be feeling narced. I dive deep plenty and never feel anything of the sort. I'm basically a solo diver if that gives you any idea. I'm not scared of the water but I do have an anxiety disorder.

I agree with every post. My wife has pretty acute claustrophbia. You wouldn't know it unless she finds herself in a corner or some other uncomfortable place. Your past suggests you were/are comfortable in water and with diving. Snorkelling is a great idea. I assume you have discussed with your doctor the possiblity of an attack while diving. As a layman, I wouldn't know if there were any way to find out if you'll be OK other than just to try it--in very shallow water. Being buddied with a pro, Rescue diver, or very experienced one would seem wise.

I think in some ways I am a safer diver for knowing what anxiety feels like from past experiences. I can identify it really early, and take steps (stopping, breathing) to settle myself before anything cascades.

I could not agree more and I think that, Laura, you are doing the right thing by being alert to possible anxiety on your first OW dives for a while.

I came back to diving after a long break and had a silly incident that raised my anxiety levels. Since then, I seem to always have a little moment of anxiety but I have developed my own little script and method that I run through to push through it. Normally, at the end of my descent, I take a few seconds to get my breathing and bouyancy under control and then I tell myself three things: "Your gear is good, your training is good, you're about to see something new." It works for me.

Oh... spend some time in the pool (do a refresher).... it'll get your confidence back up very quickly.

Many years ago I suffered through a six month period during which I had anxiety attacks. Prescribed meds did nothing to help (and I think they actually triggered a few). Eventually they passed and I no longer have them topside.

Then several years ago I had a tank valve value (debris stuck in the dip tube) that caused an abrupt OOA situation at 80 ft. My training allowed me to survive that. However, for nearly a year afterward I had mild anxiety each time I descended. I was fine once at depth though.

My point is that the initial anxiety attacks did not occur while I was diving. It was only after I had a dive-related situation that I had them while underwater. Yours were not SCUBA-related so you may not have any problem at all when diving.

As others have suggested, a refresher course and some diving prior to the honeymoon trip might be a good way to ease your fears.

Id say try to remain calm as much as possible. I agree with using a mantra and possibly using a mediation to keep you calm. If you need to learn some mediation techniques, like flickering flame mediation for example, please read this quick info about beginning to meditate.

Back
Top Bottom