Advice on possibilities for diving within upstate NY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice Mike

Registered
Reaction score
All,

There is the possibility I might be spending some time in upstate NY (some time being a couple of years). I was wondering what the options are for diving around the Oneonta area? Or is driving to the coast the only option?

Any advice is welcome.

M.

Finger lakes, coast, Long Island. All possibilities.

If you really want to dive Upstate NY you need to go upstate. Upstate is the Adirondacks and north. The St. Lawrence is some of the best fresh water diving you will find in the states. Wrecks, fish, consistent temps top to depth due to the flow over the shoals and walls. Vis is starting to be in the 40'-60' range and improves to 100' during the winter months into spring. The lakes in the Adirondacks are also great dives all though they will be colder and the thermoclines can be killer. Enjoy and dive safe.

Ontario, Skaneateles and the St Lawrence are all awesome. The rest of the finger lakes are also really nice, although viz depends on the weather (what's been growing and what's been washed off the shore).

In the summer the St Lawrence is warm enough for a thin wetsuit and there's no thermocline in most areas.

You're also not too far from Dutch Springs (~2 hours), although it tends to get a little restrictive and boring after a while.

flots.

Thanks for the replies.

Not too familiar with geography in this area (I was under the impression that Oneonta was upstate NY), but where exactly is the St Lawrence?

Anything closer to Oneonta? Even something just to practise skills?

Thanks

M

Glimmerglass Lake in Cooperstown is closest (20 min. +/-), but I am unsure of anything [interesting] there, or of possible access. I earned my C-card in Oneonta, and we traveled about 2-3 hours to Lake George (northeast) to dive. You can always plan to go on a trip from Oneonta to Lake Erie (Buffalo), some of the Finger Lakes (regionally close), Lake Ontario (Rochester or Oswego), or go up to the Thousand Islands region. Just need to plan the travel, lodging, and charters or access.

The diving here is great, but logistically you are in a challenging location.

St. Lawrence river runs from Lake Ontario to the Atlantic ocean, through an area called the Thousand Islands. This is some of the most beautiful countryside anywhere, and the diving is great.

I have made the 6 hour drive from NYC for the past two summers... no thermocline, temperatures in the mid-70's top to bottom, good vis and lots of great wrecks, easily accessible from the shore! You can dive US side or Canadian side on the same day for variety.

It's basically the northern border of NY state.

Here's some video, don't forget to crank the volume!

[VIMEO]28173118[/VIMEO]

And here are some photos:

Thousand Islands 2012 - Rothschild Design Web Development and Photography

Thousand Islands 2011 - Rothschild Design Web Development and Photography

if you end up there, let us know, and we may be able to help you in the right direction.

Not too familiar with geography in this area (I was under the impression that Oneonta was upstate NY), but where exactly is the St Lawrence?

It defines the US/Canadian border for NY, Vermont and Maine and runs between Ontario and the Atlantic Ocean.

Don't forget Lake George. Frank will take good care of you if you go. A visit to the Radeaux is worth while, but bring your drysuit and a good light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom