Advice on post-Socorro activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkboobs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi friends. I’m looking for some advice on diving around Baja Cali Sur after a Socorro liveaboard and in late January/early February. I’ll have about a week to goof off after the liveaboard is over. Considering some time in Cabo Pulmo and possibly a day or two diving around La Paz before I fly back out of Los Cabo’s. Is it practical to do all of that or will I be shoehorning too much into a week? Should I spend more or all my time in one or the other to get the most out of what they have to offer? Or is a couple days at each enough?

I haven’t been to this part of Mexico before and while I have done some research about the dive sites, operations and travel distances, I would appreciate any insight from those with actual experience in traveling/diving around the region. TIA

Definitely doable, and I don't think one week is too much. The way the Cabo Pulmo Park offcials dole out the dives at the choice dive sites these days, you may need 3-4 days there to be able to dive those choicer sites. There are several threads on this subject in this Mexico forum.

You appear to be locked into January/February due to the Socorro liveaboard. Just be aware that January tends to be breezy and choppy in Cabo Pulmo so viz can be poor I don't know about La Paz.

If you were looking for something else to add on, albeit a bit further away, you could try whale watching out of Magdalena Bay for Grey Whales. But that is about 5 hrs away by car.

Definitely doable, and I don't think one week is too much. The way the Cabo Pulmo Park offcials dole out the dives at the choice dive sites these days, you may need 3-4 days there to be able to dive those choicer sites. There are several threads on this subject in this Mexico forum.

You appear to be locked into January/February due to the Socorro liveaboard. Just be aware that January tends to be breezy and choppy in Cabo Pulmo so viz can be poor I don't know about La Paz.

If you were looking for something else to add on, albeit a bit further away, you could try whale watching out of Magdalena Bay for Grey Whales. But that is about 5 hrs away by car.
That’s too bad about the wind and viz at that time. Who wants to dive with bullsharks in good visibility anyway? 😳 I’ll probably give it a shot regardless, if the weather allows of course. If I get blown out I’ll eat tacos and relax. There are worse places to be I’d imagine. Thank you for the reply and your advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom