Advice on Scubapro regs: Mk25 EVO/D420 vs MK19 EVO/ D420

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrdee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
I’m looking at purchasing a Reg for warm water recreational diving. I’m currently open water certified and plan to do advanced open water after getting more dives under my belt. I’ve used Scubapro rental kitin the past and had no problems

I’m finding it hard choosing between the MK 25EVO and the MK19 EVO both with the D420.

Prices are roughly the same, and at the moment Scuba pro are throwing in an octopus to complete the set.

Are there any differences in ease of servicing between the two? Is there anything else I should look out for?

I’m looking at driving around the Red Sea, Caribbean, possibly Florida, and the warmer parts of the med.

Thanks

I cant comment on that combo as I have yet to dive on my MK25 with s550 second stage. One thing I will say(and I just found this out after buying my reg setup) is make sure you have a decently close shop that services Scubapro. My two closest shops do not service them anymore. The next closest is 45 mins away. Hope that offers some help and I am sure others will chime in on how great Scubapro regs are.

They both have turrets and are cold water rated. If you are happy with the Scubapro kit either would be fine. Anywhere that can service one should be able to service the other, so no concerns there.

One is a piston, the other a diaphragm first stage, and conceptually a diaphragm is better sealed against the cold and contamination, but practically there is no noticeable difference to a normal diver. I've got Halcyon HP75s which are the same as the Mk25, and I was in Scotland in February in 5deg water with no bother. As you are UK based, if you get to a point where you want to dive in the UK (we do have some great diving here!) then they will do that too.

The only other thing to potentially look out for is to shop around and see if there is anything else suitable for cheaper. Apeks are pretty common in the UK and easily serviced and supported, Halcyon often come up cheaper than Scubapro if you shop around, and some of the online facebook scuba groups have some great deals where people are selling kit, even if you factor in the price of a service.
Rich

I cant comment on that combo as I have yet to dive on my MK25 with s550 second stage. One thing I will say(and I just found this out after buying my reg setup) is make sure you have a decently close shop that services Scubapro. My two closest shops do not service them anymore. The next closest is 45 mins away. Hope that offers some help and I am sure others will chime in on how great Scubapro regs are.
Thanks. LDS is just 30 mins away and they sell and service Scubapro kit.

As you are UK based, if you get to a point where you want to dive in the UK (we do have some great diving here!) then they will do that too.
I didn’t enjoy the experience of quarry diving with dry suit during my open water training, and ended up completing my OW in Bali. I’m hoping this will change with a bit more open water experience.
Apeks are pretty common in the UK and easily serviced and supported, Halcyon often come up cheaper than Scubapro
Thanks. Are these easily serviced in places like Egypt and the Caribbean?

there really isn't an advantage for the mk25 over the mk19, so you might as well go for the mk19. apeks atx40/ds4 would do the job too and should be cheaper.

I dive in waters that have a fair amount of sand and debris, so I use a Mk19 (with a D350) because of the superior sealing. Otherwise, there is no qualitative difference between the two first stages you are considering. Both are excellent, tough as nails, and will perform brilliantly.

Regarding servicing your regs: just thinking practically, if you are UK based and holiday diving, or home more than once a year why do you need things serviced overseas? It is probably better and easier to have ongoing dealings with a service centre who you trust than random places around the world.
Apeks are global and should be serviced most places, as are Scubapro and other brands.

I would be more concerned with the d420 than either of the first stages mentioned. Make sure your local dive shop has experience servicing the d420. It's a lot different than what they normally working on.

I'd be leaning toward the 19 over the 25 as the sealed diaphragm is a little more resilient to post dive rinse laxness.

As to the second, IIRC, the 420 is already on the path for being discontinued... It is "odd" enough that servicing may be somewhat problematic. I'd select a G260 over a D420 in a heartbeat....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom