Mk25 evo -- mk19 evo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you flooded a stage bottle reg at depth, a piston reg is more likely to survive a slug of water, blow it through, and get you to the surface. Some diaphragms will "lock up" when flooded.
'Bout the only possible reason I can think of, to choose Mk25 piston over the 19 diaphragm.
But I just don't dive 25's.

(Says a 30-year piston guy, now diving Mk19's, Poseidon and Deep6. And, well, a sealed Atomic :wink:)

Thanks @rsingler, just what I was looking for. At the end of the day I understand I'm splitting the finest of hairs with this decision (at least given my fairly average diving profile), but I guess that's part of why we're all here, isn't it? :cheers:

Interestingly, my LDS here is selling the mk25 and mk19 (kitted with a d420 and r195) for the same price, so that part is a wash. This is what made the choice so hard- price couldn't even be the deciding factor!
Wish that was the case here, not even close, I may have had a good look at a Mk19 if that was so.

If a person is only diving single tank, and all his hoses are braided flex hoses, is having the swivel of the MK19 significantly better than just having a MK17? Or is the difference in that scenario insignificant enough to not justify having another moving part? Not a rhetorical question.

If a person is only diving single tank, and all his hoses are braided flex hoses, is having the swivel of the MK19 significantly better than just having a MK17? Or is the difference in that scenario insignificant enough to not justify having another moving part? Not a rhetorical question.
I wouldn’t use the moving part as an argument against the 19. In that scenario, I think the difference between the two is negligible.

I’ll add, I’d be surprised if the 17 wasn’t pulled out of the Americas market in the next year. Speculation though, and parts will inevitably still be available.

I own Mk17's with S620Ti and they breath excellent at any depth (o' to 130').. recreational diving, in both cold and warm water

How do they breathe?
I have the mk25 and it is a pleasure to use.

I use Mk19E/S560 as my “back gas” regs, and Mk25/G250HP as stage regs. So I am using both side by side, I honestly don’t notice the difference. The shop sets them all to the same cracking pressure.

How do they breathe?
I have the mk25 and it is a pleasure to use.
How do they breathe? The MK19 or MK18 or MK25?
If you would write about 2nds, I would understand.
But 1sts just deliver the more or less (un)balanced and (un)stable IP for your 2nds, from which you breathe.
I think you are mixing something up.
It's not very probable ( but possible in cases of balanced or unbalanced 1sts) that you could practically evaluate any 1st stage by breathing from your 2nd.
You would need at least an IP meter ( or Flow Bench) or extreme dive profiles or situations.
To me the 2nds are basically the key for the evaluation of 'breathing'.
But maybe I miss there something in my English concerning 'breathing'.

I had the MK19 EVO and I moved it to my side mount cylinder. For single tank diving I like the MK17 EVO. It has nothing to do with the moving part. I like the size and hose routing of the MK17 EVO better than the MK19 EVO for single tank configurations.

Back
Top Bottom