Advice on Scubapro regs: Mk25 EVO/D420 vs MK19 EVO/ D420

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overall doesn’t matter but between the two I would go MK17 :wink:

I like the D420, I really do and it’s my primary but Bob’s call for a G260 is a good one, it’s one of the best performing second stages made

Regarding servicing your regs: just thinking practically, if you are UK based and holiday diving, or home more than once a year why do you need things serviced overseas? It is probably better and easier to have ongoing dealings with a service centre who you trust than random places around the world.
Apeks are global and should be serviced most places, as are Scubapro and other brands.
Was thinking more along lines of LDS being able to sort me out if I have a problem while away rather than servicing the reg.

I second the MK17 option, it is sealed and set for cold water and warm water. We have four MK17/EVO sets with C370, S600, S620ti, at our house. Easy to service one type. Our spare is a U.S. Dive SE3 with SEA4 2nd stage and US Diver OCTO. The other spare is a MK17/EVO 🤣

If you are looking for the latest and want to spend $$, go with MK25 EVO, but go with G260 or S600, IMHO

Thanks. Are these easily serviced in places like Egypt and the Caribbean?
As for Egypt yes (but no official SP dealer/shop to do that of you xare for your warranty) — I know good techs for both regs in Dahab, SharmElshikh and Hurgadah, they might even have service kits (but I’d not depend on that)
Can’t speak for the Caribbean

I personally use the 19, along side g260s
— not that the 25evo was something I was considering, but it became a done deal after watching @rsingler‘s RegGeeks 1 (on YouTube)
His thoughts on the 25 was what did it actually (more on that closer to the end pf the session)— nasty enviro-chamber and expensive reg just don’t feel mutual to me

I really enjoy the 19s, and I think it’s the better out of the 2, just my 2 bars 🤷🏽‍♀️😅
RegGeeks 1 (on YouTube)

And then there's always the Atomic Aquatics Z2. A fine regulator set at a good price.

19, along side g260s
THE IS THE WAY
1713904019832.png

I bought a D420 last year on a Mk 19 first stage and hate the thing. I thought it would beform like the old D 350-400 series but it doesn't. It squeaks on the surface and freeflows easily. I've been back to the shop a few times to tweak it but it seems to revert to behaving badly. I went back to my old Mk 25, s 600 second stage set up and am much happier. It breaths just as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom