Advice on Selecting Dive Buddies Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A long time friend of mine who has worked as a commercial diver for years once described how he chose a tender (the surface-supplied equivalent of a buddy). His criteria was simple... someone he owed money to! He figured the guy would be motivated to make certain he came back intact!

I have always felt it's best to equip yourself (mentally and equipment configuration) to dive as if you were alone. This being the case, my perfect buddy would:
  • own a cool dive boat
  • be loaded and willing to pay my way I'm broke
  • own a dive shop
  • own a house/cottage at a great dive area
  • always have extra "everything"
  • be "hot"
  • be a way better diver than I am
  • be aware of where I am and what I'm doing
  • give a ***** about whether I live or die!

I hope this helps! :wink:

(I should point out that I have several buddies that collectively meet most of these criteria, but I have given up finding the "perfect" buddy, which is why I dive alone most of the time!

Your buddy needs to be willing to communicate Prior to the dive any expectations, desires they want out of the dive, and hopefully they will match yours. I have found a couple really good ones at my LDS. They could also steer me away from the "bad" buddies. Otherwise it is trial and error

Annasea, remember the #2 rule of diving:

Anybody can call any dive at any time for any reason, no questions asked. A dive partner who does not like this rulke is NOT a true dive partner.

*, who also advises you to try the awesome local diving and will be happy to help you out with your drysuit.

As a new diver I think the most important thing is to let the people on the boat know that that´s what you are. Tell the captain or DM that you´re new and buddyless and tell them that you´d appreciate their help getting a good buddy if you haven´t managed to find someone on your own before it´s time to splash...

On the local boats most of the talk on the way to the divesite revolves around diving so by the time you get there most people will have someone they want to or don´t want to dive with...buddying up is usually a pretty undramatic affair though once in a while I end up diving with someone I´d rather not dive with but mostly that´s my fault for not being clear on the way to the site...

And of course once in a while people will surprise you but most times when something goes wrong it didn´t feel right before I got in the water...

My advice, specially as a new diver is to listen to your intuition, if you feel like something isnt right before a dive it propably isn´t. When I was new the hardest thing was to skip a dive once I got on the boat (It´s still a work in progress), looking back I´d have had a smoother ride if I´d been better at it...

If you don't dive our local waters you are missing out. A lot of the local dive shops have fun dives led by an instructor. It's a good way to meet new divers. I've gone with IDC a few times and it has always been a good experience.

Bill.

Just in case anyone gets the wrong impression, Annasea and I are friends and future dive buddies. Nothing more (but she sure has a fine pair of legs).

Keep other aspects of safety in mind before you even get in the water. Since I have met all of my buddies here I always make sure somebody knows I am meeting an "Internet stranger" and I email them a link to that person's profile and my car plate and physical description. I then arrange to check back in with me friend after the dive at a specified time. If I do not make the check in my friend is to alert the authorities and foward them the aforementioned information about myself and my "Internet buddy".

grazie42:
<snip>My advice, specially as a new diver is to listen to your intuition, if you feel like something isnt right before a dive it propably isn´t. When I was new the hardest thing was to skip a dive once I got on the boat (It´s still a work in progress), looking back I´d have had a smoother ride if I´d been better at it...
Thank you for the reminder, grazie42! I wish I had remembered this the day after my check out dives.

I was scheduled to dive with an internet friend that I had already met and liked. The problem was I woke up during the night before our dives feeling kinda crappy -- body aches and headache -- but felt since I'm here and have access to a dive buddy, free equipment use, I'd be foolish to pass it by. So I bravely (and stupidly) pushed onward.

Long story short... my friend was perceptive enough to sense something wasn't quite right, but not wanting to spoil his day, too, I suggested we go ahead. Nothing *physical* went wrong, but when he commented on my buoyancy (or lack of), I REALLY felt crappy and my eyes started tearing up. He noticed this, even behind my wet mask, asked what was wrong, and I responded with the first thought that came to mind, "I just want to go." So, we were done. I still feel bad about it, but in hindsight, I should have called the dive right from the start of the day. Live and learn, eh? :wink:

stardiver, Thx as well for the reminder! Lucky for me, although the dive didn't work out, I did have a good dive buddy! :)

ZenDiver:
Avoid the diver who hooks his regulator up backwards....you know who you are...

Well, I guess that knocks me out; my BP puts the reg barrel really close to my head so I changed the hoses around and dive with the reg barrel on the other side of the valve. (yes, I've tried moving the tank down) I occasionally get a good samaritan reminding me it's backwards. I guess that would be you:wink:

I typically dive with insta buddies in resort locations, but remember it's always in a group with a dive master in a very forgiving environment. The only problem I've ever had was with an advanced diver who decided he wanted to dive about 30-40 ft deeper on the wall than the rest of us. I followed him a little ways, but no way was I going to go to his depth. The DM signalled for both of us to ascend to the group; I did, he didn't, and that was the last we saw of him until we got back on the boat and there he was. First time I've ever seen a Mexican dive master REALLY mad.

I've also had insta buddies that appeared to be new divers, not looking so confident, rental gear, etc, and thinking, hmmm I'm gonna have to watch this guy, and as it turned out, a great dive with a reliable buddy. Sooooo...truthfully you never really know how someone's going to act as a buddy until you dive with them. In a group setting, good vis, etc, this rarely presents a problem. But, lets say you show up for a difficult dive, poor vis, strong current, where it's just you and the buddy; that's a situation in which you're much more dependent on your buddy for safety and vice-versa, so you need to choose more carefully. Those types of dives I've only done with friends who I trust.

The brand new diver that just got certified last weekend is "usually" pretty good in the water. Within reasonable conditions. Its the diver that hasnt dove in 2 or more years that you have to worry about. Thats the one that will make a dumb decision and cause the most trouble for you. I dive with different divers just about every weekend, both as a Dive Master, Referral Instructor and a Dive Guide. You really have to include an interview process with any new dive buddy. Topics to include:

Dive Experience: When was your last dive? How deep is too deep? Do you have experience in drift diving/ wreck diving/ night diving etc....? Do you use your air fast?

Rescue Procedures: Out of Air, lost buddy, Buddy checks (very important)

Dive Plan: Max Depth/ Max Bottom Time/ Min Air to ascend/ Dive Leader/ Safety Stop

Equipment Cofigurations: There are a million ways people configure their gear....find out their specifics....(Ex. Some Cross Clip their SPG. Know this incase you have to strip their equipment in a rescue otherwise you end up choking them.) Where is their octo located? Do they even have an octo? What is their weighting system? Belt or Integrated? How do you release it? Make it a point to show them your configuration as well. Know the specifics on your new buddy.

Cover your underwater signals. What is what. Very important to avoid confusion. Keep it simple.

Something like 85 percent of all dive accidents happen at the surface, during the decent, during the ascent and getting back on the boat. These are the times to be assessing your new dive buddy. Call the dive if you have any hesitation of the ability of your new dive buddy. A bad dive buddy can hurt you and put you in a very dangerous situation.

I see it all the time on the boats. People get in over their heads and they panic or become excited. Most divers do not see this because they are under the waves already. If I am going to have a situation with a group of divers it is usually within the first 5 minutes of a dive. You have to be vigilant with your dive buddy at all times but especially the first 5 minutes or so. This is a critical adjustment period for most infrequent divers where mistakes are made.

I have had great dives with new dive buddies and I have had some pretty crazy dives with new dive buddies. Just remember to dive within your personal limits at all times.

Back
Top Bottom