Advice on Speciality Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The instructors knowledge was limited to 1) set the WB to Underwater, and 2) Set the camera to Program mode.

That is scary. Luckily the instructor for this course also uses a housing similar to mine. We even discussed that whomever I choose to take this class through, make sure they have a DSLR housing like I do versus a non-DSLR.

If you know nothing about UW photography then the class maybe worthwhile. They setup and shot plastic sharks in a pool! The instructor did not know what the Aperture did so that was her level. Steve Frink's classes in Key Largo would be very worthwhile. PADI not so much, unless you have a working pro or amateur enthusiast in your area and they happen to be an instructor.....

I'm actually planning to take one of the Palm Beach or Key Largo Classes in the future. 1. I can get more dives in 2. I get to be around other photogs that use similar equipment to me and I might actually learn something.

It makes sense to complete the AOW before the speciality courses - as the AOW dives are simply Dive #1 from the corresponding specialty courses. That means you can 'credit' those dives if you subsequently take that specialty course (negotiate to save money).

It's important to select the right instructor to deliver your courses. The instructor's motivation, experience and breadth of knowledge on the subject is critical to ensure that real development can be made.

You need to be very selective in choosing an appropriate instructor, if you desire to make real progress in a specialty area.

I posted more relevant info to your question on this recent thread: PADI's Course Rush

Thank you to you and all the others for the information. I'm looking closer at the instructors that conduct AOW, and I've been following the other thread for more information as well.

Donald D, I think you have a great plan. PPB is a good class to take, because buoyancy underlies everything else you do in diving. You can't take good pictures if you're unstable in the water! Nitrox is great for vacations, where you are diving every day. And putting off the photography class until you have the other two done is a good order of go. You do need to make sure the person teaching your photography class is a photographer whose pictures you would like to have on your wall . . .anyone can teach the class, but you'll get the best value from someone who has spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get the best underwater photographs.

As far as the timing of AOW, I agree with the person who said that AOW is one taste from each of the specialties, so it should come first. But if you don't want to do the deep dive, don't do it. Take the individual specialties instead, and do the deep specialty when you feel like you need to expand your diving universe downwards. You are very wise to realize that a lot of the most fun diving, especially in the tropics, is in the shallows. Especially for a photographer, it would be quite possible to spend a diving career above 60 feet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom